260 replies to this topic

#221 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:22 PM

Not to rain on anyone's parade re: this stake but it is my opinion, (others may consider it worthless:sq-tongue:) but any stake with hooks seems problematic to me as just another snag point.
I think more importantly though......the kite should never be left parked, attended or unattended, with the leading edge facing up!!!!!
That is a NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would normally go into a rant here, because GENERALLY I agree with not parking rightside-up. There are a few reasons that I prefer to park the kite that way...

• I have been using lights on my leading edge lately, (It's Winter in Alaska...daytime lasts all of a few hours here) and parking the kite leading edge down in the snow causes problems I shouldn't need to go into if you know anything about electricity. We're in Alaska, so not having snow isn't a possibility for 7 months of the year. ;)
  • Again, the snow... It's not much trouble getting the snow off of the bottom tips, whereas it is quite a hassle to get it out of the leading edge.
  • In the 2-3mph winds we have here, it's much easier for me to launch leading edge up. I have 2 separate physical disabilities that make it very hard for me to launch leading edge down. While I CAN do it, it often causes large amounts of pain, so I try not to if I can help it. Especially with the shockwave that I just got...lol
  • When using the handles in the stake, I have never had a self-launch issue. Also, in the snow, it isn't likely that the kite's bottom tips will slide out from under it like they do on sand or lowcut grass.
  • Did I mention that the snow on the leading edge lights is REALLY a problem?
  • The stake is all of 18" tall BEFORE pounding it in, if you snag a line onnit, yer flying while laying on the ground, and while that is often the way I wish I COULD fly my kite, there is no more risk of snagging a line on the stake "hooks" than there is with anything else sticking out of the ground.
  • I generally only use the stake to setup my kite, (see the post I made about that elsewhere) and then use the cone's base to park when I am parking leading edge down.
I'm not an expert rev flier, sorry. I fly to take the place of my physical therapy and to keep myself from going insane sitting at home all day. That's why I have an indoor rev and fly it outside... Not enough wind for me to use the SUL with my disability. I have, flying almost every day for a year, yet to have a mishap with my kite, other than a: wrapping a line around a light post (twice) while showing off my wingtip landing skills, and b: colliding with a goose who thought my kite was a hot-looking female.

Okay...rant done. Though I'd welcome ANYONE who wanted to come up here in January to show me an easier way to launch leading-edge down...

--Tak

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#222 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:30 PM

This is a neat looking stake, and I'm trying to understand just how you are using it, but just when I thought I understood, you kinda lost me with the statement about "if the handles were too big, use the smaller version of the stake ???? Could you possibly clear this up.

Also, where did you find this stake ? I might like to try one in the sand............... Posted Image

I took a couple photos for you and Mitch...see if it makes sense now:

Posted Image Posted Image

In the summer the stake goes into the ground... We got them at Lowes.
--Tak

Edited by SynTaks, 07 February 2010 - 05:50 PM.

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

#223 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for the photos. I thought I had you figured out, on the stake. I picked up one of those exact stakes today at the local "Lowes Home Improvement" store. My handles fit in it perfectly. I'll give it a try this summer on the sand. If it doesn't work for me, no problem, I'll use it to stake down my beach umbrella. Man, I've got to give it to you. I can't believe you are flying in Alaska, in January, during the night.....................Hang in there, and more power to you.......................Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#224 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 07:15 PM

Thanks for the photos. I thought I had you figured out, on the stake. I picked up one of those exact stakes today at the local "Lowes Home Improvement" store. My handles fit in it perfectly. I'll give it a try this summer on the sand. If it doesn't work for me, no problem, I'll use it to stake down my beach umbrella. Man, I've got to give it to you. I can't believe you are flying in Alaska, in January, during the night.....................Hang in there, and more power to you.......................

I fly no matter what...except for pouring rain, anyway. Last January we had -35f and I was out flying in that...lol

BTW...the photo I took was just before the superbowl...that is my NO Saints kite...

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

#225 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:53 AM

Nice photos. I also set up leading edge up. I just kick the bottom tips in a little and they've never slipped enough to self launch.
I got it! I dug out my neglected ground stake and tested it. Pic below. It's a studio pic without the rugged panache of the frozen north, but it fits just fine. Incidentally, how do you keep your hands from freezing at anything below zero, much less 35?) This stake idea is the first really new thing I've seen on this tread, though there are some BEAUTIFUL standard stakes in here.
Your stake got me thinking. Why not rotate the holes and have the handles stand upright. I made the stake shown below in about 20 minutes out of ultra-high density polyethylene 1/8" sheet. The shaft is a painted arrow. It's not ready for prime time, but I like the concept and will work on it. I like not laying to handles in the mud and snow. Thanks for the innovation.redstakeDSC_1981.jpg sm mystake closeDSC_1990.jpg small  mystakeDSC_1988.jpg
Mitch

#226 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:15 AM

I fly no matter what...except for pouring rain, anyway. Last January we had -35f and I was out flying in that...lol

BTW...the photo I took was just before the superbowl...that is my NO Saints kite...

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I picked up one of those stakes at the local Lowe's store, yesterday. Pretty neat idea, and I'll be trying it out on the beach, this summer. You may have picked up on the idea that, I don't particularly enjoy cold weather kiting. If so, you would be correct. I don't know how you do it, in the temperatures that you experience, there in Alaska.

Anyway, just a suggestion. It might make it easier, getting the tops of your handles, through the loops on the plastic stake, if you would remove those metal rings, from your rev handles...............might want to take a look at the post (link), that I have listed below.

In the post, I am replying to another member, concerning my experiences in making these modifications. The modification is really quite simple to do, especially if you are the least bit handy, with tools, etc. And on top of that, they are a real "no brainer", resulting in a really neat set-up. I've got some photos attached to the link, which show a few of my finished products. I modified 3 or 4 sets that day, and it probably took less than an hour, maybe an hour and a half, just depending how particular you are, and how big a hurry you are in. Being retired, I've got all day to tinker.

Also, as for this modification, I do mention that this was NOT my idea, and I surely CAN NOT take credit. I got the idea from "Watty" Watson, who was kind enough to make me a video, showing me the process. You may be familiar with Watty. If not, he's pretty accomplished at this rev flying, to say the very least. He's got numerous videos on YouTube (i.e. Windy with Watty, Windless with Watty, etc), which I'm sure you have run across, already. If not, just Google Watty under YouTube and sit back....

Anyway, should you decide to read my post, in the link below, I have included, in addition to my photos, a link to Watty's video. Take a look. It'll make a good project for you, on some of those long winter nights, up there in cold country...................You must have some really good gloves, if you fly in below zero temps, is all that I can say.

OH, and if you should want to reply or comment on the handle modification subject, you probably ought to do it over there, "under that topic", which I believe is found in the forums - General Support - Set-up/Assembly - "Homemade Handles" (we are probably getting a little off subject, here in the "Ground Stake" topic)

Good Luck and happy flights.......& keep warm...........Posted Image (see link below)

http://www.revkites....dpost__p__62434

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#227 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:25 AM

I beleive i hold the worlds record for making kites stakes,for none commercial use or personal gain.....Ho Yeh,its true.

I turned two full sets of snooker balls into all nice and shiney 14 inch stainless steel stakes.They weighed a bit though,plus a few spare balls they had for Billiards got drilled also .I bought the balls from a Social/labour club that was closing down some years ago in Keighly,Yorkshire.I sprayed most of them Day Glow Pink,Green and Orange.Used them to mark our lines and kites when ther at rest.

Total =62 stakes made

I also made Fifty stakes to give as momentoes at our recent gathering at Ainsdale.Along with sleeves to put the stake in and hang from your belt.Some which i had embroidered with slogans[kite God at work][The Gathering 2010][pie quad]that sorta stuff.I used Hard Foam balls for the tops.Ther lite weight and in all diffrent patterns and coulors.They looked kewl.I also bought every knitting needle within a 200mile radius of Wigan.From Charity Shops and similar good causes,to make the stake or sharp ends.Aluminium ones are best,but any were used.Some great,some not so great

Total =50 stakes made

I made 6 team stakes with flashing eyeballs as presents for my pals.

Total =6 stakes made

I made about 10 novelty ones.A pie on a stick,chicken on a stick,burger on a stick and a Tazmanian Devil on a stick.Which is now our mascot

Total = 10 stakes made

I also have a few golfball ones,tent pegs ive messed with and a Revolutionary one.Which has two lengths of steel[12mm dia]12 inch long that i made and gave to my pals.They work great in sand or soft ground.When its been wet

Total = 18 stakes made

GRAND TOTAL =146 stakes made,give or take a few

Anyone stake making crazier than that.I hope ther is.Posted Image

BRIAN...

#228 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:07 PM

Nice photos. I also set up leading edge up. I just kick the bottom tips in a little and they've never slipped enough to self launch.
I got it! I dug out my neglected ground stake and tested it. Pic below. It's a studio pic without the rugged panache of the frozen north, but it fits just fine. Incidentally, how do you keep your hands from freezing at anything below zero, much less 35?) This stake idea is the first really new thing I've seen on this tread, though there are some BEAUTIFUL standard stakes in here.
Your stake got me thinking. Why not rotate the holes and have the handles stand upright. I made the stake shown below in about 20 minutes out of ultra-high density polyethylene 1/8" sheet. The shaft is a painted arrow. It's not ready for prime time, but I like the concept and will work on it. I like not laying to handles in the mud and snow. Thanks for the innovation.

The base of the cone keeps the handles from laying in the snow. The one idea you had is good. I had to look close to realize there were slots in it for the lines. That's the main reason for not using a screwdriver pounded into the ice ... well, that's not quite true...the MAIN reason is not wanting to have to pound the thing into the ice. :P

The trick on flying in the Winter is having a place you can fly next to your vehicle, so you can fly for a bit, then hop in and warm up. I wear decent gloves. :P Syn has to bundle up a bit more because she doesn't have as much natural insulation as I do. I keep teasing her that it's her choice to live here and she always looks cold. My trick is fly for 10-15 minutes, warm up, and repeat. I fly at a church that has a soccer field so I can park 5 feet away from my handles. That always helps. I used to fly in their back parking lot but there's no one to see it back there, so it's not as much fun. It's kinda funny. Now they have made me the watchman because I'm pretty much here all day anyway. They call me if I don't show up for more than a day. I guess it shows how pathetic I am, lol. I really don't have anything better to do, since I hate sitting at home watching TV. But it gets people's attention and every once in awhile I get to impress one of the kids here, so it is better than nothing.

--TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

#229 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:17 PM

Putting two balls at the top of the stake.Will allow your leaders to wrap between the balls them and hold the handles off the surface.The lower ball,stops the leaders sliding down and the handles following themPosted Image

BRIAN...

#230 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:34 AM

I like the two ball idea. I'll try it. I have some firm foam (nerf) balls that are a little "catch-y" so the string would cling nicely. Light, too, as Brian suggests.
The slot in the front of the holes on my design were originally to pass a line through as I slid the rod down from the top. Then I found that I could snap the lower part of the handle into the hole in the plastic piece from the side and not mess with the line at all. Snap the handle in, it stands upright with the lines facing forward. Just grab them and snap them out with a little twist of the wrist. Not perfect yet, as they list a little to the side. Maybe slots cut into the sides of nerf balls would hold them up better. Working on it.

It sounds like flying is more than just physical therapy for SynTaks, and maybe stake-making soothes the savage beast for Big Bri. 146 is a lot of stakes! What interests me now is a new design. "Build a better stake and the world will beat a path to your door" Maybe make one with a better mousetrap and they'll beat two paths.
Mitch

#231 BillLamm

BillLamm

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:58 AM

"Build a better stake and the world will beat a path to your door" Maybe make one with a better mousetrap and they'll beat two paths.

better get a "keep off the grass" sign.... :P
Bill Lamm
Posted Image

#232 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:50 AM

Putting two balls at the top of the stake.Will allow your leaders to wrap between the balls them and hold the handles off the surface.The lower ball,stops the leaders sliding down and the handles following themPosted Image

BRIAN...

Do you have some special trick for drilling the hole in the dead center or the sphere?
Mitch

#233 Chook

Chook
  • Forum Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:28 AM

Yeh but only if you have a drill press. Clamp a flat piece of wood to the press table and use a large drill bit to start a hole. Drill just deep enough, so it's the full size/diameter of the bit or slightly more. Remove this drill bit and replace with the shaft size drill you need and pop your sphere on the hole and away you go. Set your depth stop and jobs done.
I do dice the same way by just sitting them their corner.
Keep smilin' Chook
Esperance "The Bay of Isles"
Western Australia

#234 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:00 AM

Thanks. I made up a block with a big hole in it to set a golf ball in, but had trouble recentering it. I can't believe I never thought of just drilling a new one each time with the drill press locked into position. Good on you.
Mitch

#235 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:36 AM

:innocent: 100_0850.jpg
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#236 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:52 PM

Man! Those are beautiful. I've always meant to ask, are the cups hollow or are the top surfaces machined to match the curve of the marble? What do you use to glue them in place? Marbles are glass or acrylic? These marble stakes are what I meant about some stakes being real works of art and craftsmanship.
Mitch

#237 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

Man! Those are beautiful. I've always meant to ask, are the cups hollow or are the top surfaces machined to match the curve of the marble? What do you use to glue them in place? Marbles are glass or acrylic? These marble stakes are what I meant about some stakes being real works of art and craftsmanship.

The cups are machined to match the curve of the marble. The marbles are glass, and are bonded on with a top secret epoxy called JB Weld.

My kite accessory biz is only a hobby business, it helps me to be able to go to some of the local festivals, and occasionally pays a couple bills.

Edited by RS67Man, 11 February 2010 - 04:39 PM.

LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#238 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 03:52 AM

I checked out the JB Weld site. Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing the name. Your stakes are nice enough that they would make nice birthday or x-mas presents (hint to wife and not a bad marketing idea).
Mitch

#239 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:53 AM

Hey Walt... This seems like a good opportunity to develop some kind of winter ground stake... ;D

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#240 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

I'm currently working on a prototype of something that is attached to a stake that is already owned. (like the winderfull one I bought from you C.)
Picture will be soon.

Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users