260 replies to this topic

#201 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 01:11 PM

Bob, I love it! Park the kite and have some refreshment.....what could be better......

An explanation for the non Brits, my post was a parody of this add campaign.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#202 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:32 AM

That is why I introduced the Mini Marble Kite Stake........

Bob, I love it! Park the kite and have some refreshment.....what could be better......

I now have more colors available for holsters! I have Red, Light Blue, Dark Blue, Black, Lime Green, Purple, and Hot Pink.

Check out my website for all the new and shiny......

I'm a bit late responding to this. Hope you still check in on it. I've been making stakes, long and short but my complaint was always with the holsters. I found that I could cut a piece of polyethylene hose (the clear plastic tube they use for pumps and the like) and put that down the middle of a piece of tubular nylon webbing. It holds the opening wide open and makes the holster a little more rigid so I can scoop up my stake and slip it into the sheath without fiddling with it. I've make the shafts out of all kinds of things, but most ironically out of the sharp inner stylets we use to introduce chest tubes between the ribs of injured trauma victims. Quite sharp and sturdy, once you sterilize them. I spray paint the tops day-glow orange so I can't loose it in the grass. Anyway...an insert to hold the holster open. I love the way your marble stakes look and admire the machine work on the aluminum cuts. Nice to have little works of art in your kit bag to do the mundane stuff.

Mitch
Mitch

#203 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 07:34 AM

Well, I may as well throw in my 2 cents. I've also been making my own stakes for quite some time. Mine are pretty simple, especially after seeing some of this fancy devices that many of you have come up with, but still, I kind of like the simplicity of the old golf ball on a rod. I make mine using aluminum rods, for use on the beach (sand), and I use stainless steel rods, for all other locations, because the aluminum will tend to bend, if you shove it with too much force, into harder ground. I also make my own holsters, which have a snap to secure it on your belt, or belt loop. I know, they are not fancy, but they work for me.........Posted Image

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2038.JPG
  • IMG_2039.JPG
  • IMG_2040.JPG
  • IMG_2005.JPG
  • IMG_2006.JPG

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#204 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 10:23 AM

My favorite ground stake while Team flying is......Monkies.
He always has one and I have to say I have got lazy and always use his.
Although I have a nice collection of Barbies and Bullets and Marbles ended.
I do however like the light weight Ali tent pegs made from arrow shaft as they don't weigh my hat down to much.
The golf balls and marbles are to heavy.
I have a small wide elastic loop sewn onto my hat where I slide the peg.
I have found that the sleeve types just get in my way.
And sticking it in your pocket...well just look at Johns scar!
Bazzer

Edited by Bazzer, 05 January 2010 - 10:28 AM.

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#205 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Ive gotta say that when on the beach no stake is necessary, either during set up or when, heaven forbid, when taking a break.

For grassy fields, etc, I use Walt's half pint version of his ground stake. It's short and doesn't need a holster as it fits easily in a cargo or back pocket without being a bother.

my humble .02;)

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#206 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Ive gotta say that when on the beach no stake is necessary, either during set up or when, heaven forbid, when taking a break.

For grassy fields, etc, I use Walt's half pint version of his ground stake. It's short and doesn't need a holster as it fits easily in a cargo or back pocket without being a bother.

my humble .02;)

Hi Bazzer-

I agree with you ;)
It's nice to use a teammate's stake!!! .... or as on Sunday, we all piled on to Scott's (the magic sticks are great for that, too!)
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#207 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:12 PM

my humble .02;)

Well, beach or no beach, I kind of like to have a stake, if for nothing more than to give me some tension, when I'm winding up my lines. As for during flight time, I sure think it helps on a windy day, in the sand, to be able to stake the kite, especially a dual line stunt kite. Some of us aren't pros, and occasionally have to take that infamous "Walk of Shame". At least the stake allows one to get back into the air, without the kite going for another tumble, before we can get back to the handles. But, to each his own, I suppose it's just what you get used to...........Happy FlyingPosted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

#208 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

As for during flight time, I sure think it helps on a windy day, in the sand, to be able to stake the kite, especially a dual line stunt kite. Some of us aren't pros, and occasionally have to take that infamous "Walk of Shame". At least the stake allows one to get back into the air, without the kite going for another tumble, before we can get back to the handles. But, to each his own, I suppose it's just what you get used to...........Happy FlyingPosted Image

What the heck is a dual line stunt kite???????:innocent:

On the beach just land leading edge down, with tension on the line and then stick the bottom of the handles in the sand like you would the stake.
I'm no pro either, just a wise ass guy with a big cheshire cat smile, having a good time all the time....no matter what.:P

Walk of shame, pro or not.....we all seem to have to do it. Hopefully the walks become less and less frequent as time progresses.

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

#209 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:46 PM

I gotta comment on this thread, in fact I can't help it.

Our favorite "stake" for 9 months of the year is a big orange plumbers/construction cone. A 30" one has enough of a base to keep the handles from getting frozen to the ground or covered in snow, its easy to see, and if its really windy, a cement block will hold it down. And I've done that quaa, sticking the handles in the snow if I happened to have speared the kite into a snow drift.

If we're feeling really lazy, the local hardware store carries an overgrown plastic tent stake that has loop/hooks on both sides that the handles fit into rather nicely.

Although, I suppose it would be hard to carry either one with you, unless you wore the cone as a hat...

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#210 Guru4tru

Guru4tru
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 05:54 PM

Well, I'm not sure what snow is, don't get much of that in Florida, but I've found the cone idea pretty good for clearing people away from where you want to fly!! :crazy:

I make my stakes out of 3/8" alum., drill a hole in the top and put on a cabinate knob from Lowes and a key snap to hook it on my belt.

Keep It Up!
Duane

Attached Thumbnails

• orangecone.jpg
  • Kstakes.jpg

#211 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:46 PM

I gotta comment on this thread, in fact I can't help it.

Our favorite "stake" for 9 months of the year is a big orange plumbers/construction cone. A 30" one has enough of a base to keep the handles from getting frozen to the ground or covered in snow, its easy to see, and if its really windy, a cement block will hold it down. And I've done that quaa, sticking the handles in the snow if I happened to have speared the kite into a snow drift.

If we're feeling really lazy, the local hardware store carries an overgrown plastic tent stake that has loop/hooks on both sides that the handles fit into rather nicely.

Although, I suppose it would be hard to carry either one with you, unless you wore the cone as a hat...

Funny that you should include this. I'd seen your kite-skiing at night in Anchorage vid and wondered what you did for a stake in that frozen ground. When the ground gets frozen here, I use a length of chain that I've painted orange so I can find it lying on the field. But it wouldn't work in snow and is a bit awkward, though quite portable. I fly dualie parafoils too and I can weight down the ends of the soft sail with two bits of chain, as well. What I need is an upright post with a fold-away wide base that could be weighted or stuck in the snow. Like a folding music stand.
Mitch

#212 Dano

Dano

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:51 PM

@ Guru

I really like that cap idea on the stake.
Thanks!!

I wont comment on the cone picture Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Dano, 02 February 2010 - 09:01 PM.

#213 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

I love the big glass "jewel" on the top. I tend to make stakes out of things I find lying about, with an eye to how easy it is to push into the ground, how easy to sheath or pocket. Emphasizing light these days, but I have done some silly ones, as noted below. Also note the big orange thing. That is a tool used by hunters to insert into the nether regions of a dear in order to facilitate gutting. Sharpened up a bit it makes a very stable but light sand stake. I never thought to try it in the snow. Also I like carabiners but will consider a spring clip if I can find a light one. Some of the stakes are just works of art! By comparison, my carbon arrow-and-tinker toy versions are more whimsy than craft. But they do hold the handles.

Is that tape on the shaft of the arrow? Another good idea, if it is. We have tape in the hospital that sticks tight even in an autoclave.

DSC_1411small.jpg DSC_1980small.jpg DSC_1416small.jpg

Edited by Mitch, 02 February 2010 - 11:54 PM.

Mitch

#214 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:04 PM

Duane,

Paradigm change. :o

The stake does not need to be placed in a holder (holster).

The stake can have it's own clip to fasten to a belt loop ... or what ever. :big_bangin:

Good ideas come from Floridah! :sq-tongue: :sq-tongue:

TNX
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#215 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 02:31 PM

Funny that you should include this. I'd seen your kite-skiing at night in Anchorage vid and wondered what you did for a stake in that frozen ground. When the ground gets frozen here, I use a length of chain that I've painted orange so I can find it lying on the field. But it wouldn't work in snow and is a bit awkward, though quite portable. I fly dualie parafoils too and I can weight down the ends of the soft sail with two bits of chain, as well. What I need is an upright post with a fold-away wide base that could be weighted or stuck in the snow. Like a folding music stand.

Tak posting in his blue text now...

Here's the superstake we use. We got them to help me because I needed something bigger and accidentally found that the top end of the handle fit and hold perfectly in the side "loops" on the stake so someone like me who hates having to untangle the lines while using the standard kiting stake has the handles upright. It also tend to prevent people tripping over the screwdriver that we used to use, which, by the way, a screwdriver works perfectly well...lol

Posted Image

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

#216 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:11 PM

The cone works well as it lets me put the stake in the top to run my lines the way I do and then use the base for parking the kite.

Syn got her Blast 2/4 yesterday and I am, as I type, waiting for her to bring me my Shockwave out to the church I fly at, which just arrived a few minutes ago. (Kudos to Lolly at Rev for getting it to me quickly! She works hard for her pay and still has to put up with people like me and keep a civil attitude. I wanted to give her a tip.) The Blast 2/4 isn't my cup of tea because it's really not that good for tricking, but we're "supposed" to have good wind for a couple days so I will be sitting on the sled some I'm sure. I also got my kite light kit yesterday, which should prove easier than the battery powered Xmas lights I was using before.

Syn made me a kite bag so we could put all our revs innit. (The bags rev makes don't hold enough kites...) Between that, my chair, my radio, my flag and the miscellaneous stuff I bring out, the size of the stake isn't an issue since I use my little hobby cart anyway.

So now I'm gunna setup my new shockwave and play...

--TaK

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

#217 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:06 AM

Tak posting in his blue text now...

Here's the superstake we use. We got them to help me because I needed something bigger and accidentally found that the top end of the handle fit and hold perfectly in the side "loops" on the stake so someone like me who hates having to untangle the lines while using the standard kiting stake has the handles upright. It also tend to prevent people tripping over the screwdriver that we used to use, which, by the way, a screwdriver works perfectly well...lol

Posted Image

Tak,
As it turns out, I have a stake just like this, but I've left it in the bottom of the bag someplace because I couln't see anything unique about it that warranted its size. But now I'm interested in the way you use it. Please explain how it holds the handles. Do you stick the ends of the tops through the "loops" from behind (the side farther from the kite) with the strings playing forward? There would be a handle on each side, standing upright and facing the right direction. Brilliant. Got a pic? There is even a top loop to hook a snap ring to, so no holster needed and the ring could be out of the way so you wouldn't have to wrestle the lines around it. It's 5 in the morning, so I'll probably will wait till tomorrow to check it out, but I'm inspired.
Mitch

#218 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

Tak,
As it turns out, I have a stake just like this, but I've left it in the bottom of the bag someplace because I couln't see anything unique about it that warranted its size. But now I'm interested in the way you use it. Please explain how it holds the handles. Do you stick the ends of the tops through the "loops" from behind (the side farther from the kite) with the strings playing forward? There would be a handle on each side, standing upright and facing the right direction. Brilliant. Got a pic? There is even a top loop to hook a snap ring to, so no holster needed and the ring could be out of the way so you wouldn't have to wrestle the lines around it. It's 5 in the morning, so I'll probably will wait till tomorrow to check it out, but I'm inspired.

I don't have any photos of that, which is surprising, but you described it pretty well. The lines go through the open area of the side loops in the stake and then the top ends of the handles fit right in there. If your handles are too big, you have the smaller version of the stake. We found this accidentally, as we had the same thought you did about it's size. I was pulling the handles out of my sack and had the stake on it, and so had the idea to use the stake that way. If you're flying on most grass, you can park the kite right-side-up without worrying about it "self-launching" once you get used to it, as the handles are in a position that the kite parks leading edge back, and the handles are held well, so the wind pushing on the kite doesn't allow them to slide on the lines as is the case with most kite stakes. When I'm using the cone in the winter, the stake fits into the hole in the top, and a small brick or whatever keeps the cone from being pulled over in stronger wind.

--Tak

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

#219 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:12 PM

If your handles are too big, you have the smaller version of the stake.
--Tak

This is a neat looking stake, and I'm trying to understand just how you are using it, but just when I thought I understood, you kinda lost me with the statement about "if the handles were too big, use the smaller version of the stake ???? Could you possibly clear this up.

Also, where did you find this stake ? I might like to try one in the sand............... Posted Image

a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

#220 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:07 AM

Not to rain on anyone's parade re: this stake but it is my opinion, (others may consider it worthless:sq-tongue:) but any stake with hooks seems problematic to me as just another snag point.
I think more importantly though......the kite should never be left parked, attended or unattended, with the leading edge facing up!!!!!
That is a NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Cya in the Sand!....."

av-1950.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users