Photo

B-Series, B-Series Vented or Mid Vented?

Best Answer steveb, 25 June 2008 - 11:04 AM

I have 3 versions of the B-Series and have found that the Mid-Vent gets flown the most.
It does give up something at each end of the wind scale compared to the Full Sail and Vented, but it has been pure enjoyment in the range in between.
I would recommend a set of Race Rods and 4 Wrap Equipped, along with 50# light wind lines and 90# lines for maximum wind range.

If the winds are smooth and steady, the Full Sail definitely has the low wind advantage, but I've found that the Mid-Vent handles light and turbulent winds with more control. The Full Sail can be sensitive to poor winds and can tend to luff, where the Mid-Vent filters out a lot of the swirls and gusts and flies smoother in the bumpy stuff.

There are no free lunches- if you gain something at one end, you lose something else at another. The Full Vent can be slightly 'mushy' at times, where the Full Sail can be a bit 'skittish'. The venting filters out a lot of minor over-corrections and bumps in the wind, giving it a smooth and forgiving flight style. You do lose some of the Full Sail's quick response and tighter feel though.

IMO, the Mid-Vent is the best of both worlds. It keeps most of the strongest points of both models while not giving up too much at ether end.

disclaimer: I'm just a guy who likes to fly kites. An Expert wouldn't have the same limitations as I do. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:10 AM

High-res versions of the Mid-Vent video are now in the Kitelife forum downloads section.

Video Archives > Promotion > John Barresi

Ya, forgot to mention... Shannon did the filming, an awesome job. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#62 shiningshannon

shiningshannon
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:55 PM

Yeah! The video turned out great!! B)

Thanks for the mention :P and Awesome flying John! ;)

T,
I'll see you soon! :D

#63 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:23 AM

Got my lime green B series mid-vent (outer) with race rods today (Thanks Teresa :) ) Wow! What a terrific rev. Winds were blowin' 3-11 mph. It's very smooth flying, slow than a std b , faster than a vented b just as you would expect. I was surprised on how well it hangs in the light stuff. Reverse is good (managed to do a reverse octagon). This is the one I'm going to pull out of my bag first all of the time.

#64 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 07:13 AM

Got my lime green B series mid-vent (outer) with race rods today (Thanks Teresa :) ) Wow! What a terrific rev. Winds were blowin' 3-11 mph. It's very smooth flying, slow than a std b , faster than a vented b just as you would expect. I was surprised on how well it hangs in the light stuff. Reverse is good (managed to do a reverse octagon). This is the one I'm going to pull out of my bag first all of the time.

:)

#65 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:31 AM

Shipped to you on Friday :)
Hope you get it Monday :)

Thanks!
Theresa

Thanks very much Theresa.A F R E E KITE.....

BRIAN...

#66 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

Thanks very much Theresa.A F R E E KITE.....

BRIAN...

LOL!

I was quoting Tony's post above yours but got yours instead!!

LOL!!

Theresa

ps...check out TKS kite train....yes, it's possible to get a FREE KITE :)

#67 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 11:28 AM

No worries Theresa,

What coulor would my virtual kite have been.Did i have choice even....lol

BRIAN...always the bridesmaid

#68 Yippiee

Yippiee

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 02:25 AM

This opinion comes from a new Rev flyer (about 10 hrs). I have the standard B and the full vent. The full vent is quite a bit slower - but more stable given it has enough wind. Both fly great and I recommend that a new flyer get both a vented and a non-vented. I could see where the mid vent would fill a gap. Being new to Revs - I find that it does take quite a bit of wind for the vented to fly right with my present skills. Most of my time was at the beach with clean wind.

But when I tried flying inland at a park with swirling and gusty winds - the standard was a little twichy. And there just wasn't enough wind for the full sail. So for me with my present skill - I think a mid-vent would have been the perfect choice. I know most of you are old pro at Revs - so I thought you might like to hear a newbies point of view.
"I've never met a person that doesn't enjoy a kite dancin on a breeze" Yippiee - Mike

My Photo Gallery

#69 dagnabbit

dagnabbit

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:47 PM

I have a mid-vent B-series, as well as my Standard. Mid-vent gets more air time, very sweet in non vent conditions, and great with gusty/choppy/unpredictable winds we have here in Central Texas. I love the way the outer vents will help equalize gusts (great for a ham-handed pilot like myself), and the inner sail keeps nice and inflated.

I flew mine in San Francisco a month or so ago, and had to double up on the leading edge spars (race rods and ultralight rods) becuase the winds were pretty strong and gusty. A vented would have been more appropriate, but I don't have a vented in my bag (yet). It still handled well, although I know I was flying a little past my comfort zone of wind speed for that kite (big arc on the leading edge and my 90# x 90' lines were whistling loud)- still had great control and accuracy.
dagnabbit!

The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth

team Austin End Of The Line
team Quadzilla

#70 JeffD

JeffD
  • Forum Member
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:24 AM

Reverse octagon.

I can't even draw one!

#71 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

BRIAN...always the bridesmaid

Now that, I have to see.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#72 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:24 PM

Now that, I have to see.

Bob,

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! This is a family forum ... please don't even think about exposing the kids to that image!!!!

Tom

#73 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

Bob,

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! This is a family forum ... please don't even think about exposing the kids to that image!!!!

Tom

Sorry Tom, you just don’t get it. Believe it or not it’s a Great British tradition and part of every British kids growing up, if you don’t believe me see here.

Still not convinced try here,

But Yes, you may be right, Big Bri in Drag may just be one step too far.

Edited by Stone in Shoe Bob, 25 September 2009 - 11:01 PM.

Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#74 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:59 AM

Sorry Tom, you just donít get it. Believe it or not itís a Great British tradition and part of every British kids growing up, if you donít believe me see here.

Still not convinced try here,

But Yes, you may be right, Big Bri in Drag may just be one step too far.

Bob,

That's a side of the Brits I've never seen ... kind of explains the stiff upper lip and all. Have to keep a straight face or die laughing. But, it does stretch the imagination to visualize Brian in big hair, big make-up and a wedding dress.

Cheers,
Tom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users