30 replies to this topic

#21 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:38 PM

Check those line lengths pronto, Tom. It might save you a world o' touble. :)

Aerochic,

Your advise is great, but a week too late for me. I knew that the lines would stretch, so I rotated them the third time I flew. I didn't think the entire process through and tried to use the same setup that I'd used the day before. The net result was that I really didn't have enough brake the day before ... and then I took the longer top lines and moved them to the bottom ... that reduced the brake even more ... ouch! After the fact, I calculated that I was trying to fly in high winds with effectively no brake. That day was interesting.

My lines, LaserPro Gold, seem to have stabalized after the third or forth flying period. I've still adopted a simple procedure where the lines are rotated every time they're unwound and flown. If you use a winder, and not your handles to wind the lines on, it's not any harder than leaving them in the same position every time. With the lark's heading process that is shown in John's B-series video, I've not had any tangles. I checked yesterday and all four lines are well within a quarter inch of each other.

So, check your line lengths is good advice, thanks for passing it on.

Cheers,
Tom

#22 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:17 AM

They came out much lighter than I had expected ... ... anything to make the kite stay up on a light wind day.

If you have light winds days, then you are 'lucky' that you have lighter rods than average.
You wanna swap ? :lol:

No idea the weight of mine, but I am all for making the kite as light as possible in lighter winds.

Hadn't thought about the gold v silver (I only have the silver lettering) :lol:
1 of the 47.

#23 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:25 AM

I have a non-vented B-series. Would of had an additional vented B-series, but Choccy pushed to the head of the line. And, now she won't share.

Hi Tom,
Share... well I would, but it is not a vented that is on it's way, just a BOG standard :lol:

cheers
1 of the 47.

#24 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:59 AM

Hi Tom,
Share... well I would, but it is not a vented that is on it's way, just a BOG standard :lol:

cheers

Does BOG stand for 'Barresi Original Gold'? Sounds like it's got heavy rods to me....

#25 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 08:27 AM

I agree--it's the flex that makes the big difference between 2 wraps and Race Rods.
Both how much the rod flexes under load, and how quickly it snaps back to normal.

The weights of the rods are about the same. To me, the 2 wraps have a softer feel than the Race rods.

But technique and experience are still king. Last weekend, after a storm blew through, the wind dropped way down. 2 of the guys switched to standard sails with race rods. I was waiting to see if the wind was going to pick back up so I stayed with a vented with 4 wraps. All three of us were playing with the crowd and doing the same things even though our equipment was quite different. Although, when I finally stopped being lazy and switched to standard sail/race rod setup it was definitely easier!
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#26 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:20 AM

In 1982 a select group of bicycle riders started a race across America (RAAM) from the west coast to the east coast ... the winner completed the race in under ten days. I had an opportunity to listen to Lon Haldeman, the first winner, give a presentation. Several members of the audiance kept asking him questions about the equipment he was using. Finally he answered that as long as you were not using a bike built from water pipe, it was really the rider and not the equipment.

Your answer sounds like an echo of his answer. I'll take it to heart.

Now, as to that 1/2 inch longer line, I'm pretty sure that if you check on that side of the kite, you'll find gold labels on those rods.

Cheers,
Tom

Lon Haldeman, he's an animal!!!!!

Rode across the country on a no big deal bike. Stopped at McDonald's for food, kicked everyone's butt. I think another year one of the american tour de france riders went up against him and talked a big story about how he was going to win. Lon rode past the guy while he was sleeping and went on to win the race again.

Now, about those rods... Remember, it's not the weight of the rod, it's how you use it! :kid_devlish:

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#27 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:25 AM

Thats the word,the truth and nothing but the truth,,,,,, it's how you use it!

BRIAN...

#28 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:10 PM

Your advise is great, but a week too late for me.

So, check your line lengths is good advice, thanks for passing it on.

Ahhh too late! After much frustration I had discovered that my own line sets were signifigantly off. I try to help people avoid my own learning frustrations wherever possible. Seems like you have an excellent handle on things tho. :)

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#29 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

Rode across the country on a no big deal bike. Stopped at McDonald's for food, kicked everyone's butt. I think another year one of the american tour de france riders went up against him and talked a big story about how he was going to win. Lon rode past the guy while he was sleeping and went on to win the race again.

Alden,

Ah yes, your memory is very sharp ... thanks for reminiscing with me. Lon might be an animal with what he accomplished, but he's an extremely humble individual.

Cheers,
Tom

#30 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 06:24 PM

Alden,

Ah yes, your memory is very sharp ... thanks for reminiscing with me. Lon might be an animal with what he accomplished, but he's an extremely humble individual.

Cheers,
Tom

And a nice guy! I met him at a bicycle show, thanked him for the $10 that I won when I bet on him. He wanted his cut...

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#31 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:23 PM

Did he manage to get his cut

BRIAN...

0 user(s) are reading this topic