#1 ramakristan

ramakristan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:51 PM

Hi Guys,
With the expectation of fuel & food prices hike over the years all over the world, wondering whether we Revs flyers being affected by it, like do we fly less due to the distance of the flying place or do you all car pool in a way to save cost ?? Post your view and how it affected us one way or another.
As for me, we car pool subject we stay in the same nearby location, price of our fuel from M$1.92 to M$2.70 per litre beginning of this month, a 40% hike though Malaysia is a oil producing country, and food prices followed suit as well.
As for my next purchase of a Rev II, I may have to put that on hold till we get adjusted to this world problem.
Cheers,
chris

#2 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:04 PM

I've started flying at a local beach that has good winds but challenging grounds, instead of the field with a lawn like a billiards table that is a 120 km round trip.

The nearby beach lots of bushes and other things on the ground to tangle your lines/tear your kite, so crashing the kite would be very bad news. You have to be careful where you step too, as there are plenty of barnacle covered boulders and driftwood logs to trip over whilst backing up.
It does have excellent winds and beautiful scenery and as long as you keep the kite in the air, it's a wonderful place to fly.

The local beach is close enough that I could ride my bike there in under an hour and since Revs pack down so compactly, it'd be easy to bring a couple of kites and spar sets to cover the wind range.

#3 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:26 AM

i have stayed local myself .. nj is a small state so local flies are not to far away
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#4 kellykelly

kellykelly

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:02 AM

Hi,
I know the high gass prices have been effecting kiting for a while now.
Carpooling is a great idea. Many WOW members carpool to events.

I was lucky last week Alden e-mail me about carpool to NJ. Good thinking. B)

We all need to pull togehter and help each other out and carpool. :matrix:

Kelly

Kiting Tampa Bay Kite Club
If you plan on Coming to the Tampa Bay Area. We would love to Fly with you..

Check out Kiting Tampa Bay Web site!
Learn more about our club, events and Lots of great kite links.

Just Friends Flying Kites 

Kite Mania South - 2014 Treasure Island Beach! 

#5 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:12 AM

I have to admit that gas prices now factor into my decisions over whether to travel or not. I'm not making alot of money right now and everything counts. It frustrates me to no end that I can't do everything I want to do.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#6 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:53 AM

I am feeling the pinch at the pump as well. I work at a truck assembly plant building Kenworth semi's and the rising fuel prices are causing a ripple effect on the number of new trucks being purchased. My company has gone to 4 day 32 hour work weeks to keep from having a build rate reduction and subsequent layoffs. This does give me longer weekends, but I am making less $$$. The blow is being softened by work-share/unemployment benefits, but it is only about 2/3rds of the normal wage.

On the kites and other hobbies, I have definitely changed habits, and I am always thinking about the cost of fuel when planning a trip. Ocean Shores is the closest guaranteed great wind conditions place to fly kites of any kind. It is a 225 mile round trip, and at the current prices it costs about 40 clams for fuel! I have yet to find a nearby place, when the winds are up, to fly the Rev, but I will find it. With astronomy, I can setup in my front yard and star gaze, but it is FAR better to get away from the light pollution of civilization. I can see so many more objects that are dimmer, like faint nebulae and distant galaxies, and see the sparkling glow of our own galaxy, the Milky Way, flowing across the night sky. The closest dark sky site I have available is still nearly 150 mile round trip. The only hobby I have that is not away from home is woodworking/tinkering out in my shop. Here is a pic of my latest creation, a single line kite reel:

Posted Image
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

that part that gets me is that the news states that oil barrels have gone down in price so it seems to me that the fuel companies are cashing in as long as they can .. why else would the prices rise to low barrel cost??if their is anyother reason i would like to know .. other then the local state fuel taxes anyway..
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

I would defiantly say its becoming a ever more problem, just this year alone it stopped me from going to wildwood for what seemed to have been the best year so far.

Although the money I saved not going got me a pair of B-series the fact remains the same, had this trip planned for a year and had to back out at the literally last day due to fuel costs.

380 miles each way in a 14 mpg Jeep @ 4$ a gallon :kid_brooding:

Well there is always Newport Kite Festival.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#9 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:34 PM

Its mad as anything over here .

EVERYTHING has taken a hike in price.Fuel is a disgracfull price,but even more basic things are now getting out of hand,
Food up 40% on lots of everyday products
Oils for cooking up 100% in last 12mths
Farm goods,milk,eggs,fresh fruit,veg,all are being hit hard.20% on most items
Diesel oil ive seen personally at 147 A LITRE.A petrol station in Manchester was named and shamed on the Radio for takeing advantage.It was the only place while the fuel strikes wher on for a few miles for some people.They charged 1.99 A LITER

Bacon is the worst atm and soft fruits.

Its ok though.I got a 2.5% rise LETs BUY A VILLA IN TI HITI WITH IT,,,,A wage cut i reckon.

BRIAN...ps,keep smiling

#10 ramakristan

ramakristan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:21 PM

I am feeling the pinch at the pump as well. I work at a truck assembly plant building Kenworth semi's and the rising fuel prices are causing a ripple effect on the number of new trucks being purchased. My company has gone to 4 day 32 hour work weeks to keep from having a build rate reduction and subsequent layoffs. This does give me longer weekends, but I am making less $$. The blow is being softened by work-share/unemployment benefits, but it is only about 2/3rds of the normal wage.

On the kites and other hobbies, I have definitely changed habits, and I am always thinking about the cost of fuel when planning a trip. Ocean Shores is the closest guaranteed great wind conditions place to fly kites of any kind. It is a 225 mile round trip, and at the current prices it costs about 40 clams for fuel! I have yet to find a nearby place, when the winds are up, to fly the Rev, but I will find it. With astronomy, I can setup in my front yard and star gaze, but it is FAR better to get away from the light pollution of civilization. I can see so many more objects that are dimmer, like faint nebulae and distant galaxies, and see the sparkling glow of our own galaxy, the Milky Way, flowing across the night sky. The closest dark sky site I have available is still nearly 150 mile round trip. The only hobby I have that is not away from home is woodworking/tinkering out in my shop. Here is a pic of my latest creation, a single line kite reel:

Posted Image

That is a beautiful single line kite reel, I am sure you will be happy to use it, you definitely has a art in wood crafting, keep it up. It is nice to see such creation rather than buy it from the store.
For me to save cost, I spent less to make a nice lookalike Rev bag, make do with what we have, put an effort and you will be amazed what we can do.
Cheers
chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users