30 replies to this topic

#21 beach

beach

Rev Staff

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

Dear Sailor 99 I have to agree on the mylar, I like you don't care for it, but on an honest answer when I stopped
making the 1.5 with mylar I probably had 10 complaints, go figure. Now days we only use the mylar on the hard pulling
kites or if thats what the customer wants, mainly cause I do listen and I do fly. Also so you know the pond has
gotten smaller and the bridges have gotten better.... :blue-cool: So with that being said I want you to know
that I take all into consideration before I make changes and even then I'll never be able to keep everyone happy,
so these days I just try to keep me happy....... :devil: Ben :blue-cool: :matrix: :blue-cool:

#22 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:21 PM

Also so you know the pond has gotten smaller and the bridges have gotten better.... :blue-cool: So with that being said I want you to know
that I take all into consideration before I make changes and even then I'll never be able to keep everyone happy,

Actually the pond is becoming larger as the years progress due to the USA drifting slowly away from Europe and Africa. But therein lies another tale. That aside, I hear the talk and look forward to seeing the walk. A three piece leading edge for the II is a good first step, it has to be said.

so these days I just try to keep me happy....... :devil: Ben :blue-cool: :matrix: :blue-cool:

I see.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#23 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

Agree wholeheartedly. It makes no common sense to mix ripstop and mylar. Bruce, Rob, jonesey and I were having this exact conversation today and I have to say I view on this point was unanamous. It makes no sense on a yacht sail, and it makes no sense on a rev.

Mind you, what do I know. 25 years of experience of composite technology and sail making counts for nothing over the pond.

There will of course always be a 'market' for the 'Sailor Specials', which have jolly good names to go with them too (how could I not say that after the 'Choccy' and 'Groz' specials!)

It is amazing though how such small adjustments in materials, sizes and construction make such a difference to how a kite flys. Imagine if we could capture all the good points of all of the kites out there (with none o fthe drawbacks), then we'd all give NASA a run for their money.

Now there's an idea - the zero gravity rev....:D

#24 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:04 PM

my question is can you but the race frame by itself without the kite??

YES! :)

http://www.thekitesh...t_9.html?page=1

#25 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

I cant remember the last time i flew a rev 2.Must get it out more often.

BRIAN...

#26 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:22 PM

My pennies worth again based on a sailing/sailmaking background... nylon/polyester materials stretch, Film based materials shrink ... not a happy combination in a sail ...Nuff said.

however there is some debate about how close to its design loads the material in a kite is working and I suspect the mix of materials can be far more of a fashion/look/appeal choice then a finite element based decision....

I personally like the Mylar in my 2~4 as I think it adds to the look and lets face it that kite probably does see some loads... but I would like to see one made out of a hybrid cloth like some of the Code Zero materials that are becoming the norm for grand prize downwind sails (a very light weight laminate) ... also finding favour in Radio Controlled model yachts! .... Likewise my Speed series kites ..... anything that is about keeping loaded and 'flying' I think is OK to play with laminates....

1, 1.5 and 2's where precision and stable accurate hovers are the game .. don't want it .. prefer something forgiving and stable (flying shape wise) .....

There really is a strong sailing analogy ... Yacht sails are mostly laminates for heavily loaded, narrow angles, upwind sails (think speed series/powerblast needing good shape to fly 'upwind' fast) whereas downwind sails (spinnakers/asymmetric's) are mostly Polyester/Nylon... easy to control/less twitchy/nice rounded stable shapes ... Rev 1/1.5/2 etc ...

Oh and I promise I won't mention sailing again....well until the next time anyway :P

#27 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 02:44 PM

Wish i hadnt spoken :lol: .

Well its a step forward from a news paper and mi grandads garden caines to make a kite.Sending pieces of paper messages up the string to the kite .

BRIAN...

#28 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:00 PM

YES! :)

http://www.thekitesh...t_9.html?page=1

Now that might have to be on my To Do list T.

I have tried ALL the kites I bought from you, (and the ones you gave me!!) all fly well. Thank you for being you.

#29 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 June 2008 - 07:20 PM

Any idea if they will also vent this new panel layout as well also with the new spars ??
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#30 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 29 June 2008 - 06:31 AM

I got some of the Race spars for my year old Rev II. With the new spars, it fit easily in my suitcase. A travel rev!

I took the kite for a club fly this weekend and we put a standard 4-wrap framed Rev II on the same sized handles and lines as the Race frame Rev II. (Same knots on the handles too). The winds were in the teens (mph).

The sails on both of the Rev IIs felt like nylon. If the new Rev IIs are polyester sails that will make another difference.

I would say the comparison is something like comparing a SLE framed Rev 1.5 with a Race spar framed 1.5. Not quite, the 4 wrap spars have more flex than the SLE, but it gives you some idea.

The standard 4-wrap Rev II was somewhat faster, and it was more twitchy. The Race spars calmed the Rev II down some and it had a smoother flight. But don't get me wrong, it's still a speedy little kite. Because the Rev II has so little pull I had no problems flying in winds up to 20 on race spars.

My overall opinion is that the Race spars are an improvement for this kite. It flies better and it's a lot smaller to carry around.

Next weekend I may be able to compare a vented Rev II with the new spars vs old.

A note on wind speeds: I don't have a wind meter, but I looked up the winds at the NOAA which gives a 3 day history for the site we were flying at.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#31 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

Why not a B-series REV I? Followed by a B-series progressive train.

It appears that my suggestion has become realistic.

The thought has been with me since the time I was building my own back in 1995. I built my own then because those imported through "name withheld", the importing kite dealer, in Germany at the time, were costing us double the USA price.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users