76 replies to this topic

#61 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:55 AM

If we start a "Complete Guide About everything Revolution and How to Do It Safely", who is going to carry the can if something is missed.

At the risk of going OT (okay, so here we go anyway)...

If it is a Wiki - created and maintained by "the community" then any member of "the community" can fill in the gap (subject to any moderation). I vote for a Wiki. Oh, you didn't ask for a vote? :blink:
Andy

#62 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:55 AM

At the risk of going OT (okay, so here we go anyway)...

If it is a Wiki - created and maintained by "the community" then any member of "the community" can fill in the gap (subject to any moderation). I vote for a Wiki. Oh, you didn't ask for a vote? :blink:

I went to look at pinned topics in 'Set Up / Assembly' expecting to find a reference to LE Down / LE Up assembly and could not see anything. I think that JB sees the pinned threads as the resource for reference but I also think that a moderated Wiki might be a good idea as it would be less of a trawl <grins>

Felix

#63 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:03 AM

Felix,

The new clip less handles came about to help alleviate the opportunity to catch the lines on the d-rings. Adding loops to the handle tops seems to add one more thing to snag the lines. Do you use a double line for the pig tails? If so, then the loop is already there ... between the d-ring and the first knot ... yes? Or, am I missing something?

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

The additional loops are fine on the clip less handles in my experience over the last few weeks. The loops are loose and open rather than closed by the tension in the kite lines.

Felix

#64 Joehughes

Joehughes
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

Superstar thanks for that. Maybe this will stop me losing control every two minutes!

#65 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:25 PM

FYI, IP.Wiki might be in the works for Invision (this forum software)... I'll keep everyone posted. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#66 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:48 PM

FYI, IP.Wiki might be in the works for Invision (this forum software)... I'll keep everyone posted. ;)

JB,

Good news. Thanks for the update. There is much detail that could be usefully collated from this very effective forum...

Felix

#67 Jaytea

Jaytea
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

New Rev owner - Thanks so much this is fantastic.

#68 David M

David M

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

Can anyone tell me if a Rev Supersonic is suitable as a first quad kite.I have flown a few dual line kites by Prism b4.
David M.....Just a (slightly ) over aged guy playing with kites......and LOVIN' it

#69 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

Can anyone tell me if a Rev Supersonic is suitable as a first quad kite.I have flown a few dual line kites by Prism b4.

You are better off with a REV 1.5 to learn on.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#70 Joe B

Joe B

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

This is how I know I'm old school. I actually own a physical copy of this book!

#71 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 02:43 PM

I never had any instructions beyond a small paper that came with my Rev 1. (It took me a while to get the hang of it just from looking at the kite and figuring how the wind would act on it with various movements of the handles.)

I always set it up LE-up with the handles staked at the bottom. With the relative "brakiness" I had in my line sets, it never seemed inclined to lift off by itself, but maybe I was just lucky. I know better now.

I do now recall that my picture of Lee Sedgwick's stack of Revs from Grand Haven in 1990 shows parking the stack with the LEs down, so someone knew about it at least that early.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#72 JasonOsteo

JasonOsteo

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

Hello all.

For what it is worth, I have a Rev I and II version 1 I believe. Lime and blue for the Rev I and the sedgewick colours (used to be called taft?) for the RevII. I think I bought these around 1989 in the UK. They came with a little gray booklet and a video (VHS, none of this new fangled DVD stuff). The sleeves on the video are a faded pink with the info photocopied on.

Now, in these videos, it is shown to attach your lines with the LE into the wind and bridle down. You lift the bottom of the wing standing on the leeward side and attach the lines. Then, (with the lines staked), place the kite LE up and move the bottom tips into the wind so the kite is 'flying into the ground'. This may be where the technique comes from, but I would think the upside down parking better.

I have to admit to using this technique after a near 20 year break from flying until I was advised on the better upside down one last weekend on the downs. Thankyou!
People are like Slinkys. Basically useless but fun to watch falling down stairs.

#73 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hello all.

For what it is worth, I have a Rev I and II version 1 I believe. Lime and blue for the Rev I and the sedgewick colours (used to be called taft?) for the RevII. I think I bought these around 1989 in the UK. They came with a little gray booklet and a video (VHS, none of this new fangled DVD stuff). The sleeves on the video are a faded pink with the info photocopied on.

Now, in these videos, it is shown to attach your lines with the LE into the wind and bridle down. You lift the bottom of the wing standing on the leeward side and attach the lines. Then, (with the lines staked), place the kite LE up and move the bottom tips into the wind so the kite is 'flying into the ground'. This may be where the technique comes from, but I would think the upside down parking better.

I have to admit to using this technique after a near 20 year break from flying until I was advised on the better upside down one last weekend on the downs. Thankyou!

My old Rev1 VHS shows the same thing, and I still use the line attachment part, bridle down and LE toward the handles!! After things are all attached, I tighten up the lines, then flip the kite over to a LE down position!!! works good for me!!! Safe too!!Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#74 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Old thread I know but...
My EXP is a couple of weeks old and the DVD says to set up LE up but angled back, reversing dominant and shows handles staked at the bottom. Thanks from a newbie about all the info about setting up LE down as I have yet to fly with a fellow Rever and you don't usually get to see someone else setup. This is a great tip. I'm going to start the next time I fly. I have a copy of this PDF on my iPhone so I can read it when I get the chance.

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#75 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:25 AM

Leading edge up, is the “By The Book” way but very few Rev fliers do it that way, as leading edge down is so much more secure.

I’m guessing you have the old VHS quality DVD that also demonstrates the perils of launching “off centre” of the window. I think this demo was produced for the absolute novice at a time when the Revolution kite was a very new concept and for a total novice a leading edge up launch is much easier, but if you are able to flip your kite over to launch, LE down, is a much more secure parking position.

Oh and BTW. I see you are in Australia and I believe Rev fliers are a bit “few and far between” bit if you get a chance to meet up with one (or better still, some) experienced Rev fliers, you will progress so much faster, and when us Rev fliers get together, THAT’S WHEN THE FUN STARTS.

Good Luck and Welcome to the Darkside.
:big_starwars:
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#76 SparkieRob

SparkieRob

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

Yep, that's it, the one where Joe has a calculator watch on!

"Inbetween heaven and earth, there are kites."

#77 leiyduo

leiyduo
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

Thanks for sharing it too. I'm reading it now.
Use Kvisoft flip book maker to create a digital magazine of our own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users