Proud owner of virgin B

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kennyq

kennyq
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:39 PM

ALright, I am so psyched. Just took delivery of brand new B series - I cant wait till tomorow.
I've never flown a quad. Have been flying two line kites.
I'm not setting real high expectations for myself but after watching B series video I feel much better prepared.
Hopefully just won't break anything!
I live in Florida, 50 minutes from the beach (if I'm going flying it seems like 30!) Annybody w/ any words of wisdom
for me before my maiden flight - I'm all ears.

#2 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:39 PM

HAVE FUN!!!!!!! :kid_smartass:

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#3 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

Try to use only your hands as much as possible. Don't fly it like a dual line.

Other than that have fun!

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#4 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

well im hopeing my new kite comes tomorrow
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 06:43 PM

Don't fly with your arms. Turns are not push-pull.
Turns are done by tilting the handles.
Fly with your hands and try keeping your elbows to your side.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 Darin Fong

Darin Fong
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:06 PM

I just got my first Rev a few days ago. I've never flown a quad before either.

I was able to get in two short flying sessions so far.

Here's what I learned:

1) Measure your lines and make sure they're all the same length. having never flown one before, I had no idea how much was operator error or kite/line problems.

2) Read all the posts about tangled lines! I got really frustrated both sessions spending more time untangling than flying.

Even though I watched the DVD, Mr. B makes it sound like you just tug on the lines and all the tangles come out. Not so for me! the first try setting up the lines, the pairs of lines from the kite shop were not tied together so everything was a tangled mess when I unravelled the lines off the winder.

After I was done, I thought I was careful winding the lines back up and tying the pairs together so they wouldn't get tangled.

Well, I go out today and for some reason the lines are all tangled again. Once again another frustrating time untangling the lines.

I have since read all the trheads I can find about winding the lines and I think I understand now. I might even go and buy another winder for now so I can just put one set on each winder.

Hopefully tomorrow at the San Diego Kite Club meeting, someone can help me figure out what I am doing wrong.

Have fun flying. Once I did get the kite up in the air, it was a lot easier than I expected. The wind was not steady, but I still had fun during the few gusts of wind.

-Darin

#7 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:21 AM

One of the things they don't tell you in the manual is that you'll become a swift expert on detangling lines! :? Don't let that discourage you though, it will get better! I learned at a mini-Rev clinic from JB last month that it's best to leave your handles attached to the lines when you're wrapping the sets up. It's a huge help in the detangling process when you go to set up for the next fly.

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#8 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 03:30 AM

Congratulations and welcome to the darkside. :big_starwars:

You have already been advised not to treat it like a duel-line,

Fly with your hands and try keeping your elbows to your side.

with Revs a lot of the control comes from the wrist action and a piece of advice I was given is to imagine you have a belt wrapped around your chest and upper arms until you have got your head around the wrist control. You will eventually use whole arm movements but you do need to get you head around the wrist control first.

You steer a duel-line kite like a car it goes in the direction you point it. Steering a Rev is more like steering a tracked vehicle it is steered adjusting the drive, if there is more drive to one side than the other the kite will turn.

That’s the practical stuff. The link below takes you to a piece I wrote for a newbie on another forum as I was coming to the end of my first year with a Rev and had just had a bit of a breakthrough.
http://fracturedaxel...p?p=46427#46427
It’s a bit “contemplating your own naval” but it may help you get you head in the right place.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#9 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 06:28 AM

I'm glad to see another Florida Rever. You have a great group of kiters in Jax. I would suggest you contact chefMark on this forum. He flys on Jax beach, is active with the local kite club, is fantastic with a Rev and a super guy. It helps so much to have an experienced flier around when you are starting out.

On another thread, there is a fun fly on Treasure Island later this month you should check out too. It's a longer drive but I try to make it over there every chance I get and plan to make this one. There will be a bunch of Revs in the sky and everyone there likes to help out.

If you get a hankering to go south, Cocoa Beach is my home turf and I'm always ready for some air time.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#10 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 10:14 AM

You have already been advised not to treat it like a duel-line, with Revs a lot of the control comes from the wrist action and a piece of advice I was given is to imagine you have a belt wrapped around your chest and upper arms until you have got your head around the wrist control. You will eventually use whole arm movements but you do need to get you head around the wrist control first.

You steer a duel-line kite like a car it goes in the direction you point it. Steering a Rev is more like steering a tracked vehicle it is steered adjusting the drive, if there is more drive to one side than the other the kite will turn.

That’s the practical stuff. The link below takes you to a piece I wrote for a newbie on another forum as I was coming to the end of my first year with a Rev and had just had a bit of a breakthrough.
It’s a bit “contemplating your own naval” but it may help you get you head in the right place.

Bob .. that Dog analogy is perfect ... well written sir!

#11 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

All the tips are all relevant,but setting up is so important also.
Take your time when running the lines out .note the lines tops and bottoms.
Double check things the first few times you set up the kite.ferrules in center spar are solid in the spar and pushed in leading edge properly.Then into the other spars,bridle even,no tip wraps,take your time and think.Taht said,you will be a member of the de tangle club at some stage as Aerochic pointed out.

Use all the above info and we will see ya in a month :D

Welcome.The best bit,

E N J O Y

BRIAN... :)

#12 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:03 PM

Bob .. that Dog analogy is perfect ... well written sir!

Thanks, I must admit I was a bit embarrassed when I first posted it on FA, I was fully expecting certain people to extract the yellow stuff, but I had had such a major breakthrough, I was fully prepared to run the risk.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#13 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:54 PM

One of the things they don't tell you in the manual is that you'll become a swift expert on detangling lines! :? Don't let that discourage you though, it will get better! I learned at a mini-Rev clinic from JB last month that it's best to leave your handles attached to the lines when you're wrapping the sets up. It's a huge help in the detangling process when you go to set up for the next fly.

Yes, wrap up to and including the handles. Also, keep only light tension on the lines when wrapping them. I found when I pull them tight they tend to tangle more.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#14 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

Hi Kenny and welcome to the family...

I started flying the end of March, so I'm a relatively new flyer, also. From my experiences, I can definitely tell you, as JB says,
1. "Less is more",
2. "own your hover",
3. "go slow until you learn it and then you can speed up"
4. practice, practice practice.

What this all means:
1. It takes minimal wrist pivots to turn the kite and control it; use your breaks, too.
2. In any postion, the key to any trick or move is to be able to control if first, keeping the Rev motionless in the sky. It's a matter of fine tuning your wrist movements; sort of like when you are driving a stick shift and you are on a hill while in gear. If you use the clutch and gas evenly, the car won't move and you don't need to use the break pedal at all; I hope that makes sense. Also, if things go a little wild, come back to your hover, take a breath, regroup and try again.
3. Any movement that you do, even just launching up to the top of the window and coming straight down and landing, do it slow. The slower, the better, you'll always be able to go fast once you've mastered something slow. It looks really cool when it's done slow, too :kid_smartass: .
4. Makes sense, the more you practice, the more you learn, the more muscle memory you develop, the more you start to create your own style and the more it just starts to click; and it will.

I read the forums all the time. Learning the names of moves, maneuvers and various patterns to eventually practice all help to get a handle on this wonderful sport, IMHO. I also watch the videos where I can see what their hands are doing; along with the footwork; as these images do get burned into the brain and you can sort of remember what they did if there's a problem while flying or trying something.

If all else fails, always ask here on the forum. This space has sped up the learning curve for us all.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, HAVE FUN!

Hey JB, did I pass :sign_kitelife: ?
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#15 kennyq

kennyq
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:08 PM

You have already been advised not to treat it like a duel-line, with Revs a lot of the control comes from the wrist action and a piece of advice I was given is to imagine you have a belt wrapped around your chest and upper arms until you have got your head around the wrist control. You will eventually use whole arm movements but you do need to get you head around the wrist control first.

That's the practical stuff. The link below takes you to a piece I wrote for a newbie on another forum as I was coming to the end of my first year with a Rev and had just had a bit of a breakthrough.
It's a bit "contemplating your own naval" but it may help you get you head in the right place.

Just wanted to thank you for your advice I could relate to. I've operated track vehicles and knowing that ahead of time helped get control of my kite a little faster.
After the first 1/2 dozen launches came six quick crashes.. but the things fot better. While I realize I have a long ways to go I was really impressed with thr Rev.

#16 kennyq

kennyq
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

Thanks all,

My first experience w/ my B included six immediated launch and crash loops but slowly I got the hang of it. That is to say I was able to launch it and land it softly.
Suffice to say this thing is amazing, as my experience is with dual line kites I've never been able to land a kite in any kind of wind anywhere near the center of the window - the Rev allows you total control of the sail (once you learn to control) and the recoveries were a lot easier than just about ant dual line recovery. I can tell this is the beginning of a long relationship.

#17 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 07:50 PM

Just wanted to thank you for your advice I could relate to. I've operated track vehicles and knowing that ahead of time helped get control of my kite a little faster.
After the first 1/2 dozen launches came six quick crashes.. but the things fot better. While I realize I have a long ways to go I was really impressed with thr Rev.

Never thought about the track vehicle relationship.
I operated a small bulldozer for a few weeks many years ago when I was about 19 or 20.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#18 Horn dog

Horn dog
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:52 PM

And don't forget once you get the hang of the controls, fly it like you own it!!!

Pete (H. Dog)

#19 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:57 PM

Nice summary Laura, right on the head.

It's different for everyone, but the people are great, and the tools are here for the taking. ;)

Own thy hover.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#20 chefMark

chefMark
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 06:19 AM

PM Sent.....I'm On Summer vacation So lets go FLY!!!!!
:rev_clockwork:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users