Photo

Quick question about the sails...

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:02 PM

I was told, today, that temperatures over 95 degrees will damage the sails, so definitely don't leave them in the car while not flying. Is there any truth to this? Is there an issue for extreme cold, either?
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 11:35 PM

I was told, today, that temperatures over 95 degrees will damage the sails, so definitely don't leave them in the car while not flying. Is there any truth to this? Is there an issue for extreme cold, either?

Not a problem we have to be too concerned with on this side of the pond! but for what its worth Spinnaker Nylons on boats get used in some very extreme conditions and can take pretty much any temperature you can take as a rule of thumb .. however some nylons when warm and wet can have problems with colour transferring so keep them dry if possible!

I know from experience in my 'other' life that there is a limit with some materials ... I was competing in a world championship sailing event in Belgium and it had been wet and windy for the first few days so a lot of time and effort was going into drying out boats and sails every evening .. this venue had some industrial tumble dryers in a unit nearby so a few of the boats were taking advantage of this to dry Nylon spinnakers (we are talking 1000 sq ft sails here) which, whilst I wouldn't advocate it, can be ok if your careful and desperate! however at the time Polyester spinnaker materials were also quiet popular and at least two of our competitors discovered very quickly that there is a much lower temperature limit with this material and created some very interesting and expensive sculptures .... think crisp packet in microwave... OUCH!

I am a great believer in taking care of my sails and always, wash, dry and roll them down the leading edge (my wife doesn't understand why this doesn't extend to the rest of my life!) for storage whenever possible .... so I think common sense is your best guide ....

Personally I would never leave my kites is the car on a hot summers day with the windows rolled up ....... there wouldnt be room for the kids :kid_devlish:

If you want a quick overview of spinnaker materials read this

#3 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:33 AM

.. however some nylons when warm and wet can have problems with colour transferring so keep them dry if possible!

and created some very interesting and expensive sculptures .... think crisp packet in microwave... OUCH!

Nice image Jonesey, I don't suppose you've got any pictures of the crispy sail sculptures ? :D

I have noticed on some B-series sails a problem with the above mentioned colour transferrance :(

It's amazing how quickly the sails age.
Ours are only a few months old and are already showing signs of great use.
Not surprising as they have been sand blasted, swimming, flying in the rain, hail and sun....
I always try to dry and roll neatly too. Don't like the creases/crinkles.
We've not had any problems with colour leeching so far.

I recently rewatched Bluey's cousin "beach flying" movie file: wow that's one new sail being flown.
Shame things don't last.
1 of the 47.

#4 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:33 AM

i flew my revs in 110 degree heat many times and still went home with them.. as for leaveing in the car i have never had a problem there either.. who told you this could happen??
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#5 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:20 AM

While we're on the topic, what is the best method to clean a Rev. Water only, or is there a mild soap preferred?

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#6 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 04:50 AM

There are a number of things that can compromise a sail through normal use -- repeated folding, wear from rubbing against a spar, and UV exposure. I personally don't consider swimming, especially in salt water, normal use for a kite -- anyone willing to do that is an expert flyer and will be aware of the risks!

In my experience, UV will only be a concern on nylon sails, not polyester. The biggest problem with UV is it causes fading, but in time it will also cause the fabric to become brittle and weak. I've seen kites so compromised that basically a finger touch will rip them.

The EXP has a nylon sail, as do all of the Masterpiece kites I've seen. I'm not sure about the current Is and IIs.

All of the other 1.5s (B, SLE, SUL) and speed series are polyester.

I've got polyester sails with 700+ hours of air time on them and no signs of weakening or fading -- kites which have also spent plenty of time jammed in the trunk of my car in the middle of summer, with the high heats that suggests! I think your more likely to damage your kite by, say, getting near a dog or a tree...

#7 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

I have been flying many times out in the desert with temps well over 115 with my Rev's with no problems at all. They stay in my trailer pretty much year round and I have never had a fading/color transfer/melting problem at all. We have a few pilots in our area that have some of the original Rev 1's with the "Modulus graphite" and "Patent" logo's on them - dating them back to the late 80's (maybe) and have been here in Vegas for their life span. The colors have indeed faded over the years - the red now looks like a very pale pink and the blue's are nearly white - but the sails are still in very good condition and they fly great. They are a bit more porous than a brand new crispy kite but they are still going after 20 years or so.

Now, divide the cost over a 20 year period of free wind and fun ..... What A Bargain!!!

#8 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:48 AM

We don't get temperatures of 115 where I live, except in the oven. I have had some issues with colour transfer through. Daffodil had some of her yellow leach onto the central white panel. I have only myself to blame as I had to put her in a tube immediately after doing some water flying so she could fly home, and I forgot to take her out when I got back. She was in there, damp and clammy for 2 days or so!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#9 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

She was in there, damp and clammy for 2 days or so!

poor damp Daffodil. :blue-confused:
Sorry I noticed it Sailor!
1 of the 47.

#10 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:00 AM

I've only ever really seen color transference with polyester sails and, as Sailor99 discovered, only when the sail is wet. It's hard to imagine Kent having those kinds of problems out in the desert!

#11 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 10:30 AM

No worries here on the Temp question. On the other stuff.
My B Series has done more wave walking than a beech boys convention.Had more sand init than Gandiz flip flop.Been wetter than a paper hangers bucket,,,NO PROBLEMS :)

The worst thing is sand blasting at the beech,but on top of,hours and hours of hard ,high wind flying,In cold damp,winters .

Great kite,

BRIAN..

#12 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:34 AM

I've only ever really seen color transference with polyester sails and, as Sailor99 discovered, only when the sail is wet. It's hard to imagine Kent having those kinds of problems out in the desert!

Thats why I plan to retire my old kites to 'Kents Revolution graveyard' in the Nevada desert ... he doesn't make a big deal about it in fact I wouldnt have known it existed if I hadn't spotted this on google earth ...

Attached Thumbnails

• revgraveyard.jpg

#13 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Thats why I plan to retire my old kites to 'Kents Revolution graveyard' in the Nevada desert ... he doesn't make a big deal about it in fact I wouldnt have known it existed if I hadn't spotted this on google earth ...

Hehehehehe! Now what is that ~really~, Jonesey?!!

#14 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hehehehehe! Now what is that ~really~, Jonesey?!!

I suppose it could be the answer to what your government have been up to in area 51 ???

#15 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:34 PM

I suppose it could be the answer to what your government have been up to in area 51 ???

That works for me! LOL! :clap;

#16 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hello All...
Thanks for the info. A dual flyer...should have known :kid_smartass: ... had told me that keeping them in my trunk as I've done with many of my SLK's for years,
(pre quad life :kid_content: ) and more recently, my Revs, that they will get brittle and start to crack to quote him. Sounds like the sand will be a bigger problem in the long run, so I'm not worrying about any of it. I'll just wash them periodically and if I get good enough to fly in the water, I'll most certainly wash the salt off and dry them out before storing them back in my trunk :sign_kitelife: . I'll assume that the Icarex (I don't know what the material actually is :confused!: ) will do as well as the polyester. Happy flying, always!!!!
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#17 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

That works for me! LOL! :clap;

Dito,thats funny,worth the applause.