32 replies to this topic

#1 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:33 PM

I am going bonkers. I ordered my 1.5 SLE on June 2, 2008, and I do not think it has shipped yet. According to the store I bought it from on line, they did not have the color I wanted (black and teal) as of June 5. I was told that it would be in early this week (June 9-13), but still no E-mail from them saying it shipped. I now have found I can get a better deal from another vendor on line, and I am thinking of canceling the original order. My thoughts are to give the first vendor until June 13 to ship the order, and if they are unable to, cancel and go with other vendor? What would you guys and gals do? Both vendors are brick and mortar establishments, in the same city no less. I left the names out to protect the innocent.
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#2 Darin Fong

Darin Fong
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:03 PM

Walt,

I can understand the agony of waiting once you've decided to take the plunge.

I ordered mine from awindofchange.com (I assume it's OK to mention vendors in this forum?).

I ordered it Monday evening (6/9) and they called me on Tuesday to tell me they were out of stock but they would have the factory drop ship it to me directly. So, since I am lucky enough to live 20 miles away from the factory, my kite arrived today.

But since they still sent my lines from Vegas, those won't arrive until tomorrow. :blue_sad:

I am not sure if other vendors can do this or they have some connection to the factory, but you might ask the vendor you ordered from if they can do the same.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem canceling my order. I think you gave them a chance.

Good luck. A few more days of waiting isn't much compared to they years of fun flying it!

-Darin

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 08:14 PM

I am going bonkers. I ordered my 1.5 SLE on June 2, 2008, and I do not think it has shipped yet. According to the store I bought it from on line, they did not have the color I wanted (black and teal) as of June 5. I was told that it would be in early this week (June 9-13), but still no E-mail from them saying it shipped. I now have found I can get a better deal from another vendor on line, and I am thinking of canceling the original order. My thoughts are to give the first vendor until June 13 to ship the order, and if they are unable to, cancel and go with other vendor? What would you guys and gals do? Both vendors are brick and mortar establishments, in the same city no less. I left the names out to protect the innocent.

Give the original a phone call and get the tracking number and carrier from them.
If they haven't shipped, then try to strike up a deal with them for the lower price.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:48 AM

You should try life on this side of the pond ... I feel your pain.. I am waiting on a masterpiece and a Progressive stack which I ordered from the States a while back and I'm like a kid in November waiting for Christmas!!

We have some great suppliers over here who if they have what you want in stock will get it to you next day.... anything special or not stock and its a looooong wait ....

Bottom line is that if you can get what you want even if you have to compromise on colour etc from stock then that has to be better then waiting on a 'maybe' .. I agree with the others .. go back to the supplier give them the choice of delivering late at a much better deal or not at all and buy elsewhere.....

(I buy my stuff in the USA from awindofchange as well.. hint hint ;) )

#5 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:42 AM

All good things are worth waiting for. I know itís frustrating but if I were you I would wait and get exactly what you want rather than compromise just to get hold of something a few weeks earlier. I had to wait months for my vented 1.5 because the colour I wanted was out of stock in the UK and I needed it to complete a matched set.

Look at it this way, if you look after your kites they should last you for years, it's better spend a few weeks waiting now than spend years looking up at the sky wishing you had been more patient.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#6 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:10 AM

You should try life on this side of the pond ... I feel your pain.. I am waiting on a masterpiece and a Progressive stack which I ordered from the States a while back and I'm like a kid in November waiting for Christmas!!

We have some great suppliers over here who if they have what you want in stock will get it to you next day.... anything special or not stock and its a looooong wait ....

Bottom line is that if you can get what you want even if you have to compromise on colour etc from stock then that has to be better then waiting on a 'maybe' .. I agree with the others .. go back to the supplier give them the choice of delivering late at a much better deal or not at all and buy elsewhere.....

(I buy my stuff in the USA from awindofchange as well.. hint hint ;) )

I wouldn't compromise due to a week or 3 or 5 of time. You will have the kite for years and years and I would hate to spend years and years thinking "Gee I wish I had the red one."

If you can find a better price thats something to think about. If you are like the rest of us, you will be buying many more kites for many more dollars over time and why not start this long term relationship with a kite shop that has good prices? When reading this forum you will see a lot of loyalty toward several different outlets. I have found that not only are the people who fly these kites good people but most of the folks who sell them are too

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#7 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 06:42 AM

Call vendor one, explain what you have found from vendor two and see if they will make a deal. If not and it still isn't in stock you can politely cancel and order from vendor two.

Unless of course vendor one is awindofchange :kid_smartass: if so just tell Kent to get a move on...

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#8 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:19 AM

Here's my suggestion. Make it like buying a new car. Try to get the two venders to fight over you, and buy from the one who gives you the lowest price.
This way, the origional vendor still has a chance to keep you as a customer, and you get the best deal possible.

Of course, make sure you get what you want. It may take longer, but it will save you money. My first rev indoor I just ordered what ever color they had. I did not really like it as much. So, I ended up spending an other $190 on my custom red and black rev indoor.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

Kent here from A Wind Of Change. We do have the Black & Teal in stock and we try to keep all colors in stock all the time for our customers. Unfortunately sometimes you will have a run on a certain color and be out of stock on it. It happens. Color selection is one of the most difficult things for a retailer to control. The retailer "should" have the largest selection that is financially possible for them to have but sometimes it is difficult to order in just one kite of a certain color when they have a huge selection of all the other colors. The shipping costs that the dealer has to absorb is usually the same for one kite as it is for a dozen so ordering in one specific color does cost a bit more. Still, that's business. As far as price matching, most retailers will do that for their customers. Above the final price you should look closely at the customer service that you get and also look at the support. A lot of times, paying a couple dollars more from a local retailer is a huge bargain, especially when it comes to help and support in the event that your kite gets damaged or you need some parts or even help with other things like tricks, local areas, local pilots, etc... Another thing to look out for is a retailer who is going to treat you honestly. Some retailers (who will not be named here) have been known to do things such as replacing line sets with lower quality items and "claiming" them to be original, or selling used kites as new.... If you have a good relationship with your current dealer then it may be worth it to you to give them a dollar or two more so that they can stay in business and continue to treat you right.

Anyways, if your retailer is not willing to work with you, you might be better finding another who will. Just remember that price shouldn't be your only focus.

Good luck on getting your kite. Let us know how you come out.

#10 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:57 PM

Definitely agree about price and supporting a local dealer kent. If you want a great kite shop near you, then you must be prepared to help them by placing orders, even if they are not the cheapest. You pay for what you get at the end of the day. And no way can a small firm, no matter how great they are, keep everything in stock. In the UK we have some great dealers of Rev kits - kiteworld and kiteshop will both hit next day delivery with monotonous regularity in my experience. And frankly I find this amazing. But, as soon as it is not in stock you are looking at unspecified and very lengthy delivery times from their supplier. And it seems to be the same on recent orders placed with US retailers by the group of people I fly with. Sorry, but I would find a wait in excess of 2 months very difficult to live with - it's half a season! It is more troublesome paying for what you don't get.....

Flame suit on.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#11 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:04 PM

I'd rather pay a fair price than a great price, if I'm getting service and not just being handled, anytime. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#12 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 05:41 PM

I would like to mention, this is my first Rev. I have never seen one in person, only the pics and videos I have seen on my computer. You are a BAD man JB, you get people hooked just by watching your videos!

I know this is not a perfect world, but I would wish that vendor one would at least send a E-mail stating the difficulty he is experiencing, and when he would be able to resolve it. I have had to call him, and he knows I am waiting for this kite with baited breath. I am going to call him tomorrow, and if he has not shipped it, or has it ready to ship, I am going to cancel, and go with vendor two. I have all ready let vendor two know my intentions, we shall see how this pans out!

One more thing, Looks like my wife and I are going to Ocean Shores on Sunday. I am going to bring my 25 year old Skynasaur and a couple single liners to have fun with. There is supposed to be some shindig going on too, maybe I will actually get to see a Rev in person. I know this would really be throwing salt in the wound, but at least watching someone fly one would be cool.

Posted Image

#13 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:39 PM

Glad to be of service. ;)

Sorry I won't be in OC this time around, enjoy it, a great festival. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#14 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:37 AM

Glad to be of service. ;)

Sorry I won't be in OC this time around, enjoy it, a great festival. :)

jb that is a cool avatar .. you and jonsey have the top 2 sofar i would say
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#15 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 11:36 AM

I would like to mention, this is my first Rev. I have never seen one in person, only the pics and videos I have seen on my computer. You are a BAD man JB, you get people hooked just by watching your videos!

I know this is not a perfect world, but I would wish that vendor one would at least send a E-mail stating the difficulty he is experiencing, and when he would be able to resolve it. I have had to call him, and he knows I am waiting for this kite with baited breath. I am going to call him tomorrow, and if he has not shipped it, or has it ready to ship, I am going to cancel, and go with vendor two. I have all ready let vendor two know my intentions, we shall see how this pans out!

One more thing, Looks like my wife and I are going to Ocean Shores on Sunday. I am going to bring my 25 year old Skynasaur and a couple single liners to have fun with. There is supposed to be some shindig going on too, maybe I will actually get to see a Rev in person. I know this would really be throwing salt in the wound, but at least watching someone fly one would be cool.

See if you can make it to WSIKF (Washington State International Kite Festival) this August. Some other rev flyers including my self will be there, and I would be happy to fly with you and give any pointers that I can.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#16 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 03:41 PM

It is done! I canceled the original order, and had the funds returned with no hassle. I now have a order placed with A Wind of Change, A 1.5 SLE, Teal and Black. I also ordered the 3 wrap 1/4" LE spars, per JB's recommendation. Hopefully Kent can get that out by Monday! :blue-cool:

Posted Image

#17 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 09:26 AM

I'm glad you got it all sorted out.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#18 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

Your kite has already been sent out on Friday. You may receive it today. Let me know when it gets there and how you like it! I am glad we were able to help you out.

#19 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 04:17 PM

OMG! It is here! After spending Sunday out at Ocean Shores at the kite festival, and getting to see some Revs first hand, I was vibrating in anticipation. I am now a PROUD owner of that teal and black 1.5 SLE. :wub: Thank You Kent! I did not expect priority mail. :clap; My plan is to take it to Fort Worden in Port Townsend WA for its first flight. I hope to get a picture of myself with the new Rev on the Kenzie Battery. (It is the concrete bunker that held the BIG navel guns) Is it customary to give a first flight report? On the astronomy forum, they love reading the first "light" report newbies have with their first telescope. Below is a picture of the brand new Rev still in its package leaning up against the AEACC.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0730.jpg

Posted Image

#20 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:07 PM

Be sure to watch that training dvd. It has some use full stuff in there.

Spence "Watty" Watson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users