Useful comments

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:27 AM

From time to time, I hear really funny comments from less experienced or non-flyers while I'm out flying. I thought I'd share a particularly good one, but I'd love to hear any corkers you've heard...

So we were out flying the B-Series at our favorite spot. Wind was great, temperature was just right and nice and peaceful flying it was too. Then a couple of hours into our flying, along come two young lads. They both have a small 2 line powerkite - the sort of thing you can pick up for 10 UK pounds (that's about $6,000 these days, right?). One of them seems to be completly new and the other is an 'expert'. After a lot of shouting and swearing, the expert puts his kite in the air. The best flight was around 5 seconds before slamming it into the ground. Lots more swearing. The newbie has a go at his (he doesn't get as much help as he has had to give) and does a fair bit better than the expert. After a while, the newbie decides it's quite good fun watching us Rev flyers. He watches in awe at us for a while, and I can see the 'expert' slowing boiling a little further down the hill. The newbie eventually gets the attention of the expert and says "That looks so cool, but I bet it's pretty hard", the expert says "Pah! It's easy cos they've got 4 wires - it's cheating!" and then storms off. We've not seem them fly again since :devil:

#2 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:35 AM

"Pah! It's easy cos they've got 4 wires - it's cheating!" and then storms off. We've not seem them fly again since :devil:

BWAhahaha! Oh that's priceless!
:revangel:

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#3 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:16 AM

A couple walked about 20 yards behind me watching me and a few other people flying. The man turns to the lady and says "Look at those kites, great aren't they." Not realising that they were upwind of me, and therefore I could hear every word, the lady replies "Yes, but all the people flying them are balding, fat, middle aged men".

Excuse me!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#4 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:34 AM

the lady replies "Yes, but all the people flying them are balding, fat, middle aged men".

Excuse me!

Well 2 out of 3 isn't too bad, right? :D (I won't let on which 2) :unsure:

#5 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:59 AM

Well 2 out of 3 isn't too bad, right? :D (I won't let on which 2) :unsure:

:lol:
1 of the 47.

#6 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

HAHAHA lol. ROFL

Spence "Watty" Watson

forumsig-01.png

#7 streamhawk

streamhawk
  • Forum Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:07 AM

A passerby upon watching me do some slack line stuff on my dual lines:
"I'll tell ya your problem there. You need a tail on that thing."
I just smiled and replied, "yeah, you're probably right."

One guy watching my Rev asked:
"how high will that thing go?"
I replied, "oh, I dunno, about the length of the lines I guess."
(what I really wanted to say was, "about as high as you dude", but it struck me funny, so instinct didn't win).

Bill

#8 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

Two Salford scallys walked past me & other half flying trick kites, in ~1995.. He's got the better hang of tricks, I'm just flying around randomly.

One says loudly, "Ehhh mate, your giiirlfriend's better than yoo!"

LOL !!! I thought it was funny!! :kid_devlish:

Hezz

#9 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:36 AM

Groz forgot to mention the time some wally asked "what's that ?" whilst pointing at the rev
"what's it for ?"

The other more recent comments have stemmed from numpties reading "The Kite Runner" and misunderstanding kiting:
"If it falls to the ground you can keep it" (adult said to kid)... or similarly
That's a toy for my dog to keep :kid_brooding:

Also a couple of years ago some RC plane ppl decided to ambush groz and told him point blank that kiting was illegal on the general sports field!
1 of the 47.

#10 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:45 AM

Nicest comment

I was havin a ZEN hour flyin over the sea.Unaware a lovely old guy and his grandson had sat watchin me.I finished and turned around exhausted,wiped away the swet,removed my boonie and said goodmornin to them.
The Grandad[in a nice way]said.
I Bet You Can Put A Fruit Pastel In Your Mouth Without Chewing It,Cant Ya.

Lovely comment.From a lovely man ive met several times since and smile evertime i see him.Made my Millenium that comment.

WORST COMMENT

Couldnt type the filth,but if i see ya , ask.I will say what it was.

FUNNY[iffy] MOMENT

Golf Ball Stake bein kicked nice and hard by a nut ball dog walker,,,,A W C H,,,,

BRIAN...

#11 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

None kite related,but i was off flyin .

As some know.Im a larger than average fella.I cycled past a bus stop on my bike with revs over my sholder.Ther must have been six people at the bus stop.
After i passed,i just caught an old girls comment to her Husband.The comment needs a little latteral work,but, she said to her Hubby

Hey,look at that fella ther, hes got a bike wheel JAMMED UP HIS A....
Wigan houmor for ya.

BRIAN.Bike for sale

#12 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:00 PM

I Bet You Can Put A Fruit Pastel In Your Mouth Without Chewing It,Cant Ya.

That's absolutly fab Bri - and that's the really nice thing about kiting, when we're out having fun, but it also makes someone elses day too....

lovely story

G

#13 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:26 PM

Out flying, walking back with big bag of kites (pre Rev bag days)

Couple of guys walk up to me

Hey mate did you catch anything?

Me Yeah couple of Carp and a Tench!!

(Life to short to explain!!!)

When talking to people and they ask what your hobby is, and you mention you fly kites.
If the response starts
Response - Oh yeah that’s for kids!!

My Response - Oh right, well you know how it is, I never grew up… by the way do you have a hobby?

Response Yes "enter any hobby here" blah blah blah, golf with the boss blah blah blah…

My Response Oh that’s great !!

Then I go on to mentions how, I've been round the World Twice, flown kites all over Europe, the Caribbean, Malaysia, Japan etc… Been on every TV channel in UK, most of Europe, did a link for MTV Asia, appeared in a tourism video for Guadeloupe, invited to fly for the Red Bull Air Race, flew on London bridge as part of the Millennium celebration. Been UK champion several times, European Champion Several times, hold a Guinness World record have a great set of friends around the world, who all do the same as me……

So how’s it in your (grown up hobby) ? :kid_devlish: But only when I’m in a wicked mood!

Oh and Bri, I think I know that guy re the pastels thing, was it a Fylde, cos he said the same to me.? (I think it’s a euphemism)

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#14 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:27 PM

kiting was illegal on the general sports field!

Ah that reminds me of another one, some guy down at the local field who got irate that his little Jack Russell was tiring itself out running after my Rev which was "deliberately" going from far left to far right, and back again, just to annoy it :kid_devlish:

He said "You need a licence to fly those things". What?? "You need to have a kite flying licence here". Yeah right, was the reply :lol: "Yes you need a licence to fly kites here" he insisted. There's no such thing, I said. In that case, you need a dog licence! :P

Hezz

#15 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:31 PM

YEP GROZ,if only the youth of today could spend time with guys like the old fella more.We wouldnt need to worry about the future so much.

Ive had the,
,,Why dont you grow up.A bloke at your age flyin kites,,
from a Lady[loosely used] dog owner whos dog wanted my B Series for breakfast.So i asked would she put the animal on a Lead.She informed me that they[like a dog has as much ,,,,,,probably more]had as much wright to be ther as me.The third time the dog tried a bite at ME.I Told her GET IT ON A LEAD[i was cool though,not Travolta cool,more John Wayne] .
I then got the above comments .Along with some coulorfull language and she was also off for her Husband.I told her to tell him to bring a few brothers aswell,but ther all probably would be Out All Day At the Football,bein real Men.I also asked her to bring a, getwell soon card.I figured a man livein with her needed it.
g
She left quite confused.Never to return.SO FAR....

BRIAN...

#16 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

Out flying, walking back with big bag of kites (pre Rev bag days)

Couple of guys walk up to me

Hey mate did you catch anything?

Me Yeah couple of Carp and a Tench!!

(Life to short to explain!!!)

When talking to people and they ask what your hobby is, and you mention you fly kites.
If the response starts
Response - Oh yeah that's for kids!!

My Response - Oh right, well you know how it is, I never grew up… by the way do you have a hobby?

Response Yes "enter any hobby here" blah blah blah, golf with the boss blah blah blah…

My Response Oh that's great !!

Then I go on to mentions how, I've been round the World Twice, flown kites all over Europe, the Caribbean, Malaysia, Japan etc… Been on every TV channel in UK, most of Europe, did a link for MTV Asia, appeared in a tourism video for Guadeloupe, invited to fly for the Red Bull Air Race, flew on London bridge as part of the Millennium celebration. Been UK champion several times, European Champion Several times, hold a Guinness World record have a great set of friends around the world, who all do the same as me……

So how's it in your (grown up hobby) ? :kid_devlish: But only when I'm in a wicked mood!

Oh and Bri, I think I know that guy re the pastels thing, was it a Fylde, cos he said the same to me.? (I think it's a euphemism)

Dam,the pastels guy was a spy :blue_wink: ,gutted.Ive told the tale a few times.

Sometime us mortals have to remember the little things :blue_wink: .
Love your the memories and achivements answer Simon.I think its called Envious :matrix:

BRIAN..

#17 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:10 PM

Here's a good one.

I was getting my master's degree from a local college and had some time before class so I decided to get out my rev and fly on a small field on campus. As college kids were walking by all I heard from them was, "Look at that f***ing looser flying a stupid kite. Doesn't she know that we're in college?!" As soon as they came close enough to me I went to the top of the window and did a dive-stop and scared the crap out of them. Then they were like, "WHOA! Did you see that?! That was so cool." I really showed them eh? :-)
~AdventureAng
Happy flying to everybody. Now get off the computer and get a kite out! hehe

#18 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:10 PM

A bunch of young reprobates walked passed me down at the beach last week just as I'd done a couple of impressive dive stops mere inches above the waves.....

Casual as you like one of them, obviously impressed asked me ... 'Does your husband fly kites as well?'

Not sure what he was inferring ??? :confused!:

#19 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:40 PM

Casual as you like one of them, obviously impressed asked me ... 'Does your husband fly kites as well?'

Not sure what he was inferring ??? :confused!:

Oh the vanity of ppl these days, they obviously need to wear spectacles rather than making a spectacle of themselves ;)

Love it Jonesey, but no idea wot they are on mate!
1 of the 47.

#20 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:44 PM

Simon, you 'wear' your modesty well :kid_devlish:
The Malaysian t-shirt should have been a bit of a give away ;)

What a charmed life you've experienced.
1 of the 47.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users