Rev Exp

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ramraider

ramraider
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:18 AM

Hi there i,m new to this forum been flying foils and delta,s a while now and very confident with them lol . Well here we go i have not long purchased a rev exp took it out the other day set it up as in the manual but the brake lines are very slack kite will not even take off, i have measured the lines and they are all the same length tried adjusting them on the handle but still the same slack and i mean slack , any ideas where i am going wrong PLEASE HELP btw great forum and i am from the east midlands derby uk

thanks for looking

#2 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:31 AM

When you set the lines up, and stand the kite up the right way with the handles staked out, you will find they are pretty slack. What happens if you set the kite up up-side-down (ie with the leading edge down). Are the top lines then slack? This is what should happen if it is all correct - because when you set the kite up you put it at the opposite angle of attack (ie leaning backwards) from its flying angle. If you have checked the line lengths, to be honest, all should be well.

Comparing it to a delta. When you pull on the lines and stand a delta up on its tips the lines are both tight, right. When you do the same with a rev, the brakes will be slack, but as soon as you take a step back and launch they go tight. Comparing to a foil, assuming a 4 line foil, the foil has a slack brake all the time. The rev will have all 4 lines under tension most of the time.

You could try staking the lines with out handles, setting the kite up, then holding it up so all the lines are tight and seeing what angle of attack it comes to. Let us know how this looks, and it may help home in on the problem a little.

It maybe worth getting together with someone on the forum to have a look at the set up and to give you some initial pointers. Its really difficult to say where it is going wrong by internet
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#3 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:41 AM

MMMM. Slack break lines.
In that situation, the rev should take off, and you should have difficulty in getting it down!. :unsure:
I ca,nt help, but just for others,some info.
Is the rev new or second hand?.
What wind were you flying in?.
Are you useing rev handles?.

Its a pity you have no pics of your rev as set up
We like pics :D

Derek.

#4 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:50 AM

It would be difficult to get to fly if the bottom lines were, say, 10 inches too long - it would just float and stall. But the OP says they are all the same length, and even if the bridle were way out, it wouldn't put it into a float attitude I wouldn't have thought.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#5 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:52 AM

Comparing to a foil, assuming a 4 line foil, the foil has a slack brake all the time.

Sorry to butt in here Sailor, but lots of folks make the mistake of flying 4 line power with slack brake lines all the time.
To quote Jay "Tight lines" in all 4 line is best for maximum control.

Apart from the amazing 'demo' of pulling with your hand on the top lines and creating slack in kites like an airbow for tricks :blue_wink:

Sailor> so how did it go when you flew the Flexifoil Rage on a bar at the festival ? :kid_smartass:

PS Hi and welcome RR.
1 of the 47.

#6 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:01 AM

I hit someone. Lets not go there in public, but I think it was because groz set it up with slack brake lines ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#7 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:06 AM

I hit someone. Lets not go there in public, but I think it was because groz set it up with slack brake lines ;)

Oh that's unfair, he's not here to defend himself! :P
I think it's cos you were trying to fly it like you were steering a yacht/ car steeringwheel !!
cheeky as ever.

Yeah you definitely need the brake lines to give you resistance or else disaster.

Ram> Did you get your lines free with your kite ?
1 of the 47.

#8 ramraider

ramraider
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:14 AM

Hi there and thanx for all the swift replies i think i have been compairing the rev with a foil it was that when i had attached the lines and the kite was standing up level held by the other half the line just seemed to be slack maybe its just me and the wind that day was very light

Q what are the optimal wind speeds for these kites also what is the angle of attack approx

will try it again with better winds see what happens many thanx for looking

#9 ramraider

ramraider
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:19 AM

Oh that's unfair, he's not here to defend himself! :P
I think it's cos you were trying to fly it like you were steering a yatch/ car steeringwheel !!
cheeky as ever.

Yeah you definitely need the brake lines to give you resistance or else disaster.

Ram> Did you get your lines free with your kite ?

yes the lines and handles came with the kite the are 90 1b x 80 ft laser pro gold

#10 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 01:32 AM

http://www.revkites.com/main/Rev_EXP

For a biginner to revs, I would so go for 10mph, or above That would give you a good chance. ;)
In other words, today is just right. ^_^

Derek.

#11 ramraider

ramraider
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 02:23 AM

http://www.revkites.com/main/Rev_EXP

For a biginner to revs, I would so go for 10mph, or above That would give you a good chance. ;)
In other words, today is just right. ^_^

Derek.

thanx for that will try later

#12 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:23 AM

Remember Ramraider, you need to treat the rev much more like a soufflé - you can't slap it around like a foil or a delta and expect it to rise into the air - it would just sink.

At the risk of being insulting, one of the common mistakes people new to revs make is to put the upright rods on the front of the kite. The instructions are not always clear on this. They should of course be on the opposite side to the bridle.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#13 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 05:44 AM

Make sure all four lines equal length, and add a leader (extension) on the top of both handles, to effectively lengthen the top lines by 4-6 inches. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#14 ramraider

ramraider
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:37 AM

Remember Ramraider, you need to treat the rev much more like a soufflé - you can't slap it around like a foil or a delta and expect it to rise into the air - it would just sink.

At the risk of being insulting, one of the common mistakes people new to revs make is to put the upright rods on the front of the kite. The instructions are not always clear on this. They should of course be on the opposite side to the bridle.

I think you just hit the nail on the head took it out earlier same thing would not rise slack lines , so what did i do put the upright rods on the back :confused!: with a extra knot on the brake line controler and it lifted into the sky not for long as the wind was a bit choppy today plenty of wind then none even some guys with 4m foils were falling out the sky

thanx for the advice guys all was welcome

#15 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 06:39 AM

It could also be the way you are trying to launch the kite. When launching pull your thumbs back, and take a step back. The kite should go in the air if everything is set up correctly.

Another thing to sheck..... and I know this sounds kind of silly..... but make sure your handles are set up correctly. The side with the foam should be connected to the leading edge, and the mettel side should be connected to the trailing edge.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users