• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nailimexam

nailimexam
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 05:52 AM

A few quetions,

1) How much wind does the power blast need for the pilot to be able to fly it without walking backward?

2) How controllable is the kite when fully depowered? Could I fly it in 20mph winds while standing in one spot simply by flying it depowered?

Thanks.

#2 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:29 AM

Both of your questions are depending on pilots skill. I am going to assume that you are an average pilot (Not beginner, not Pro) which is where most of us fall as far as categories go.... I am also going to assume that you are talking about the Power Blast 2-4 as you didn't mention which one you were referring to.

So, with the Power Blast 2-4,

You should be able to fly the kite pretty easily without walking backwards at all in 3-4 mph winds as long as you keep the kite moving forward and are very easy on the brakes. The 2-4 is a bit on the heavy side compared to most other rev's (except the 4-8) so stalling the kite in light winds is a little more difficult without walking. If you are wanting to do a lot of tricks you will probably want to be in winds around 4+ mph. (you said no walking so you need a bit more wind) A skilled pilot should be able to do nearly anything with the 2-4 in 0 to 20mph but it will require some backwards walking in the lightest of winds.

I have flown the 2-4 in winds well over 20mph, usually with a buggy. The depower is awesome on the kite, just drop the brake lines out and the kite dumps pretty much any type of power it has. A skilled pilot should be able to hold the 2-4 in 20mph in one spot but it probably wouldn't be "flat-footed" and would probably require your foot to be out in front of you and ready for the kite to power up should you get hit with a gust. As long as the kite is stalled you can hold it down in 15 mph winds no problem at all, just be careful once you let the kite fly because the power comes on instantly and hard.

The Power Blast is an awesome kite, you'll be happy with it for sure.

#3 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:39 PM

A few quetions,

1) How much wind does the power blast need for the pilot to be able to fly it without walking backward?

2) How controllable is the kite when fully depowered? Could I fly it in 20mph winds while standing in one spot simply by flying it depowered?

Thanks.

I bought my 2~4 from awindofchange with a lot of help from Kent so I obviously agree with all of the above and would only add that I fly mine in anything under 15mph (See Stone-in-the-shoe-bob et all I didnt say knots!) and find that at my level in the really light I need a little walk backwards to get started then its all about keeping the kite moving and in its power zone ... long figure of eight's always turning down to use gravity to accelerate through the turn and you pretty soon build up a rhythm and pace that I still find awesome....

20 mph and I wouldn't even dream of taking it out of my bag .. I like it too much! Dont get me wrong I have flown it up range and you have great control and tricks etc are all doable but its flying at a fraction of its potential unless you are in a buggy .... and it will catch you once in a while and take you for a 'little run down wind'.... personally I get a lot more out of a Vented B or Vented Supersonic in those conditions ...

Definately one of my top 3 kites ... try or buy one if you can :)

#4 nailimexam

nailimexam
  • Forum Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:15 PM

I just ordered one. (PB 2.4)

I asked the questions to try to get a feel for what type of winds I could use for traction kiting with it.

I am also interested in using it to power a home made "kayak-catamaran" (two 22-foot double kayaks 'catamaraned' together)

My wind range for that activity is generally 5-15mph.

One idea I had was to attach a safety leesh a few feet up the front lines so that if you drop the handles, the kite stays with you and depowers (kid of like "kite-killers" if you are familiar with power kiting). Has anyone tried anything
like this on the power blast 2.4?

Thanks for your replies, they were very helpful :)

p.s. With respect to tricking, I am originally (and still am) a dual line freestyle flyer so I enjoy moving around the field. I am also intrigued by the 2.4's claimed ability to glide by itself. Is this true? How good is the glide?

#5 ramakristan

ramakristan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:58 PM

I just ordered one. (PB 2.4)

I asked the questions to try to get a feel for what type of winds I could use for traction kiting with it.

I am also interested in using it to power a home made "kayak-catamaran" (two 22-foot double kayaks 'catamaraned' together)

My wind range for that activity is generally 5-15mph.

One idea I had was to attach a safety leesh a few feet up the front lines so that if you drop the handles, the kite stays with you and depowers (kid of like "kite-killers" if you are familiar with power kiting). Has anyone tried anything
like this on the power blast 2.4?

Thanks for your replies, they were very helpful :)

p.s. With respect to tricking, I am originally (and still am) a dual line freestyle flyer so I enjoy moving around the field. I am also intrigued by the 2.4's claimed ability to glide by itself. Is this true? How good is the glide?

Hi nalimexam,
To answer your question, how good is the glide ?? This Blast is born to glide even on low winds and after awhile of flying, you will have a better understanding of this Blast esp when it will glide back at the side of the power window. My 1st Rev was a Super Blast, was called earlier and now Power Blast 2-4, didn't had an idea of how to fly but after watching the VHS tape supplied, from there I picked up all my flying skills. The glide will be smooth, depending on individual skill as well.
I don't think it is advisable or meant for kayak catamaran but more for buggy.
Cheers,
chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users