9 replies to this topic

#1 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:18 AM

This might sound like a really stupid question, but I am interested in starting to fly indoor Revs, but I don't have access to an indoor place large enough to fly. So I was wondering if I could practice outdoors in an area that gets only 0-1 mph winds (basically my back yard has one spot that is pretty secluded that doesn't get any wind and I was wondering if I could practice there).

Also, what length lines should I get?

AND, do they sell the indoor Revs complete with handels and lines? I'm in the blue about this stuff.
~AdventureAng
Happy flying to everybody. Now get off the computer and get a kite out! hehe

#2 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:23 AM

If you can truly find an extremely low-wind spot, then yes, flying outdoors is a reasonable surrogate for an indoor space. While you won't be able to do everything outdoor that you might indoor, it's a great way to become comfortable with things like catching/throwing, up-and-over's, various styles of 360's, and other things. If you can become competent at these tricks in outdoor low wind conditions, you'll be amazed at how much easier they are in an indoor arena where there's no breeze at all!

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:45 AM

You should be able to get a rev indoor with handles. As for lines, I just buy a roll of Shanti Speed or LPG in 50#, then make my own line sets. I don't even bother to sleve them. There are two line sets that I use indoors, 5' and 10'. This will allow you to easily pick the kite up, and keep it in the air. I've tried up to 20', but I did not like it as much, but you may feel differently.

As for flying you rev indoor outdoors, I do it quite often around here. My house is completely secluded from the wind by trees.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

Thanks to the both of you for your info. That's very helpful. Oh, and Watty, I think your video inspired me and that's one of the reasons why I'm more interested in indoor flying now. I mean, I've always wanted to get into it, but seeing your video (and also seeing the competition last weekend at Wildwood) helped inspire me even more.

It's weird, but now when I hear music, I envision kite routines in my head instead. I guess it's just another way of "feeling" the music huh?
~AdventureAng

#5 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 07:31 AM

Yeah, I do that too.

I have another video of me flying my indoor outdoors if you would like to see. I'm at school, now so I can't get you a link, but it is called Spokane, WA fun fly, or something like that.

Spence "Watty" Watson

#6 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

...I'm at school, now so I can't get you a link...

How are you on the computer at school? Tisk tisk, you should be doing school work or paying attention, shouldn't you? But yeah, I'd like to see that video, so send me the link when you get a chance.
~AdventureAng

#7 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:33 AM

I've tried up to 20', but I did not like it as much, but you may feel differently.

You should try indoor flying on 50-75 feet. It's bizarre! Though not many people ever get access to a space big enough for that sort of thing...

One thing to be aware of in indoor flying is that a kite's lift/pull/speed is based on relative wind, not actual wind (much like a sailboat). because the kite is flying on the surface of a sphere relative to where the flyer is standing (or currently located as they move around!), the kite's relative speed will be proportionally greater the longer the lines are. For those who remember turntables, think of the penny an inch from the center of a record versus one at the edge. The penny at the edge is covering far more distance than the one near the center as the record revolves. Same deal with a kite.

#8 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

I've used mine on 30 foot lines a few times, it's bailed me out on demos in no wind quite nicely!
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#9 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

Ahh that such a cool video, Watty! Looks like your performance was well received too! :clap;

Oh Ugh!, after watching iQuad and Scott A indoors and now this... I want to play with one too. It's a disease I tell ya!!!

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#10 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:26 PM

How are you on the computer at school? Tisk tisk, you should be doing school work or paying attention, shouldn't you? But yeah, I'd like to see that video, so send me the link when you get a chance.

Paying attention??? HAH! It's called "Computer Essentials!" We were given a typing program to finish throughout the trimester, and I finished it in a month. Now, I just get on this forum, and play SNES games from my flash drive!

Any way, here is the link.

Spence "Watty" Watson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users