Passing Through Airport Security w/Kites

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Rev'd Up

Rev'd Up
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:41 AM

Anyone have any tips on traveling with multiple Revs? Can I "carry on" with ground stakes and all, or should I check them as luggage? I dont think I want to trust the baggage handlers with my babies...

Mark

#2 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:54 AM

hey mark ,

my wife and i have done both ways carried on and checked in as luggage .... as luggage never had problems just put in boxes with cushion and marked fragile on all sides never had problem .the problem with as carry on it is at the persons descresion if they will let you and if you get that far and then they say no what then i would like the sure thing if i went prior and got some written proof that its ok to carry on then ok id feel much safer with that they are pretty sturdy when in a bag or in a box that is just my 2 cents worth

steve pigeon
Steve & Sherri

#3 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:54 AM

hello Mark

lots of people have chatted about this in the following thread, it may or may not help you:

http://www.revkites....h...ic=988&st=0
1 of the 47.

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:00 AM

Anyone have any tips on traveling with multiple Revs? Can I "carry on" with ground stakes and all, or should I check them as luggage? I dont think I want to trust the baggage handlers with my babies...

Mark

I have made at least 50 flights with REVs both nationally and internationally on short and long haul flights. To date nothing has been lost or broken.
I would suggest only carrying the kites with rods in the cabin. Handles, string, stakes and the rest, you should pack in your luggage.
You can also check your kites, however when packing them make sure that the fragile 2wrap and race rods are packed in the center of your kite bag. The tougher 3 and 4 wrap rods should surround them.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 Rev'd Up

Rev'd Up
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:02 AM

hello Mark

lots of people have chatted about this in the following thread, it may or may not help you:

http://www.revkites....h...ic=988&st=0

Thanks for the information. I will check out the thread also.

Mark

#6 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:44 AM

I use a sausage shaped bag.Inside the bag i have five hard plastic pipes cut to length[lite weight].The kites go in the pipes.Zip and lock the bag.

Jobs a goodn.

Usually scans seprate from the clothing and other stuff.Kewl watching the guy on the x ray.Wondering what the heck is in the bag.Never had any issues though.Usually a talking point with the security.

My lines and handles go in the holdalls with my Marks and Sparks.

BRIAN...

#7 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:18 AM

Yep, same for me. It is a minor irritation to have to put it through "oversized" security. But lets face it, in these times of heightened security there is no way it is going hand luggage.

JEREMy

#8 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:57 AM

......... just put in boxes with cushion and marked fragile on all sides never had problem ...........

Not a good idea to mark anything "Fragile" if it's going onto a plane. I have heard that doing so frees the airline of any responsibility if it is damaged.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#9 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:00 PM

I have heard that doing so frees the airline of any responsibility if it is damaged.

Unfortunately correct. If marked fragile often you will be questioned at check in and have to sign a waver. Your alternative as presented it not to get on the plane. Some choice.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#10 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:45 PM

Now that is quality info Bob.As uaual.Want to know the score,

Ask a Postman.

BRIAN...

#11 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

Travelled many times with kites and lines as carry on. Was told on one trip by TSA, the kites were fine but "next time" pack the lines in the luggage, stating the lines could potentially be used as "restraints".

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#12 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:02 PM

Remember unless you sign the waver you are not liable. But if you don't sign the waver you may have a major fight on you hands getting your luggage accepted.

Sorry to be so specific, but I used to work for an airline cargo container company.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#13 andelscott

andelscott

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:04 PM

Unfortunately correct. If marked fragile often you will be questioned at check in and have to sign a waver. Your alternative as presented it not to get on the plane. Some choice.

I suspect it depends on the airline, but we had "the waiver" last year - no mention of fragile anywhere.

Like Big Bri we use cut down lengths of drainpipe (2.5 inch diamenter, maximum of 4 fit in the bag) and a rev fits snugly inside, so should be protected. A couple of small inflatables provide padding at the ends of the bag. We do prefer a 1.2m bag over something longer. Even so, still get a few fellow travellers who believe us when we say we've got skis (when travelling to Florida) :kid_smartass:

Plastic security tags (through zips and tags) and security seal stickers across zips give a clear warning that tampering will be obvious. I'm more concerned that the kites will travel on the same aircraft to the same destination....

The overhead bins vary in size so much from aircraft to aircraft and loads of travellers have the wheel-ons, so I feel the kite is more secure in checked baggage anyway.

HTH
Andy

#14 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

The overhead bins vary in size so much from aircraft to aircraft and loads of travellers have the wheel-ons, so I feel the kite is more secure in checked baggage anyway.

Just to be clear in case anyone is traveling in europe soon, most wheel ons would not be allowed in hand luggage, even though they would fit easily overhead. Following are the retrictions currently in place in the UK and most of Europe (and with similar rules in many other parts of the world) They apply equally to first, business and coach, although most airlines have not increased the coach allowance to 2 hand bags.

http://www.dft.gov.u...irportsecurity/

I have stood in security, over the past few years since 9/11, waiting for people who do not believe these rule apply to them to sort it out with security more times than I care to remember. I only fly internationally about once a month, but it must be half a dozen times to my recollection. Unfortunately it normally results in their luggage being taken away from them to be loaded in cargo, in which case it will be manually handled and stands a very high chance of not making your flight. In one case I can recal the hand luggage was rejected by security, and because the passenger argued strongly they too were off loaded. Don't shoot the messenger, but be warned. I am conscious that people from north america have a particular problem with this as it is significantly different to the US laws (no zenophobia implied). if you use a budget airline in Europe the cabin allowances would be much, much smaller.

Don't play with European airport security. They are no more forgiving or tolerant than TSA.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#15 rdnzl23

rdnzl23
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 03:29 PM

My experience matches Long John...domestic and international flights. I always carry the kites and sticks on board and pack the lines, handles, and stakes in checked luggage. I picked up an expandable cardboard tube from an art supply store, roughly 8" - 20cm in diameter for a few dollars. I have never had a problem with security packed this way. In fact, I have only been asked to open the tube a few times. I generally carry about four revs and a pile of spare sticks.

Correction, I had a problem with Air France about three years ago. I was returning to the states with a two line stunter that I picked up on my travels; I did not have the tube. They wouldn't let me carry it on the plane due to the length of the LE sticks. It made it back without incident with the checked luggage.

j

#16 trs

trs
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 04:34 PM

just get a good hard rifles case ,they are foam pact inside that you cut to fit your need.

#17 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 02:52 AM

SKB makes the perfect solution,... it's a hard-sided travel case made to protect golf clubs.
< http://www.skbcases.com/sports/ >

Here's another secret, insert a single golf club into the case, then you may very likely be exempt from the weight restrictions on luggage! It's an honest answer to advise the TSA that the case contains "golf equipment", confirmed by their x-ray examination.

The SKB cases are on wheels and they come in several sizes too. One is big enough to hold TWO sets of golf bags, that one I use to carry the baby Ryvs all assembled into stacks and ready to fly. Even smaller SKB Cases hold a dozen kites and roll-up Rev bag, no problem at all.

These cases are at least fifty inches long, so remember that when you arrange for transportation. I have had the darn thing interfering with my posture the whole trip from the airport 'cause the shuttle pilot or cab failed to bring a van or station wagon. I've had to go back to the counter at the car rental facility because the darn case is too long to fit into the trunk or across the back seat.

This reminds me of a funny story. A friend's bride was laughing that they had recently gone looking for a new car. Her significant other had brought along his kite bag and advised the salesman that they "wouldn't consider any vehicle that didn't hold this size of a package!"

#18 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:50 AM

SKB makes the perfect solution,... it's a hard-sided travel case made to protect golf clubs.
< http://www.skbcases.com/sports/ >

Here's another secret, insert a single golf club into the case, then you may very likely be exempt from the weight restrictions on luggage! It's an honest answer to advise the TSA that the case contains "golf equipment", confirmed by their x-ray examination.

The SKB cases are on wheels and they come in several sizes too. One is big enough to hold TWO sets of golf bags, that one I use to carry the baby Ryvs all assembled into stacks and ready to fly. Even smaller SKB Cases hold a dozen kites and roll-up Rev bag, no problem at all.

These cases are at least fifty inches long, so remember that when you arrange for transportation. I have had the darn thing interfering with my posture the whole trip from the airport 'cause the shuttle pilot or cab failed to bring a van or station wagon. I've had to go back to the counter at the car rental facility because the darn case is too long to fit into the trunk or across the back seat.

This reminds me of a funny story. A friend's bride was laughing that they had recently gone looking for a new car. Her significant other had brought along his kite bag and advised the salesman that they "wouldn't consider any vehicle that didn't hold this size of a package!"

Or you could get a Ski tube

http://www.sportube....s_one_pair.html
GARY

Posted Image

#19 Ninjak2k

Ninjak2k
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

Be careful with the Sport Tubes. Radio control handlaunch glider pilots have used these to travel to competitions and found that the latch that keeps the case from collapsing can and will let go with nasty results. I think a solid one piece case is probably the way to go.

~Dan

#20 Quaddict

Quaddict
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 07:35 PM

I just flew to puerto vallarta and hand carried my kite w/handles and linesets no problem. didn't bring my ground stake though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users