Photo

A moral dilemma

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#81 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 07:09 PM

Laura,

I used to fly at Sandy Hook after 6 PM in the summer. Never had a problem with people. You're close and there is no better wind in than on the Hook.

Good luck.

Hi Sherman...
You won't believe this, but I was informed today that it is a $500.00 fine to fly kites at Sandy Hook until Labor Day. A friend of mine that flies dual line (although I'm slowly winning him over to the dark side :kid_devlish: ) received a text from his friend that he flies with as he was grounded by the Park Ranger at Sandy Hook. I wonder if there is any spot, perhaps where they mainly fish, that might be allowed for flying.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#82 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 12:55 AM

Hi Sherman...
You won't believe this, but I was informed today that it is a $500.00 fine to fly kites at Sandy Hook until Labor Day. A friend of mine that flies dual line (although I'm slowly winning him over to the dark side :kid_devlish: ) received a text from his friend that he flies with as he was grounded by the Park Ranger at Sandy Hook. I wonder if there is any spot, perhaps where they mainly fish, that might be allowed for flying.

Laura,
I'd heard similiar stories about being fined for flying at Sandy Hook. That's why I'd asked previously about which if any area is flyable there. Can anyone provide an answer?

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

#83 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 02:26 AM

$500 fine??? man this state will do anything for money!! i got a ticket 2 years ago for disturbing the piece as the cop wrote it because someone complained of the loud noise my prism nexus 8 pack was makeing .. let me remind you that these people set up their sit right by me knowing what i was doing
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#84 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

Laura,
I'd heard similiar stories about being fined for flying at Sandy Hook. That's why I'd asked previously about which if any area is flyable there. Can anyone provide an answer?

So far, I haven't heard of any area we can fly. I had heard that on the first beach, if you will, bay side, those that kite surf, can there. I know of no other possibilities. I will call city hall on Monday and get the full answer.... t.b.c. .....
Laura

Posted Image

#85 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 04:33 AM

Is there a fly still on for next sunday.......Are we going to invade the beach in masses....... :confused!:
Do we have to bring in gov.corzine to fix this ....

#86 manny

manny

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

Seems to me you have to move over to the west coast. People over here don't seem to be so uptight. My biggest problem over here are folks not looking where they walk and tripping over my lines when I am on Fat Tire break :blushing:

#87 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 01:31 AM

when I am on Fat Tire break

Great Phrase! I know all about that sort of break. :)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#88 kiteking

kiteking

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

At Kite Party, everyone seems to respect the area for fliers, except the surfers. They seem to have the attitude that they own the beach and everyone else is invading their space. I try to keep them advised about the lines but they mostly ignore me.
Wind to your back, Kite in the air.

MikeM
Brookings, OR

Posted Image ----- Posted Image ------- Posted Image Posted Image

----#518 ---------- #110883

#89 flyinken

flyinken

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:57 AM

As a noob to rev's, I was thinking of using surveyers tape and outlining a flying zone.
If someone asks why I am taking up so much space, I'll tell them that there is some broken glass, and that I'm helping others from stepping on it. :innocent:
Using the tape my be corny, but what the hay.
Of course I would be looking for an area with the least amount of people as possible.

To continue the on the beginning.
I was at a beach watching watching a guy fly a foil. (quite well)
He was was of the 1st people there for the day and had no problems untill a teenage girl and her dog wanted to sit in his flying zone.
He did not give in, and she moved over a little, but still complained that the kite bothered her dog.
The point is there are just some people who look to cause other people problems, no mater how nice you are.
They will never be a "kite person". But you might get the other people around to enjoying kites.

Ken

#90 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:42 AM

Laura,

It's years late, but I don't think you ever got an answer to "How do I make a hook?"

The important thing is that it not be dangerous.

Get some thin wire and fold it in half (making a rounded end) and twist it up smoothly.

I've heard people suggest a straightened out paper clip, but they are WAY too stiff even single-ply and the ends are sharp. One strand from braided picture-hanging wire might be worth a try if you do not have access to a variety of wire sizes. PM me and I'll be glad to mail anyone a little bit of suitable thin wire already folded, twisted up, and bent to shape.

Then form an "L"-shaped hook near the rounded end.

Test it by hooking it someplace tender, like an ear, and pull gently. It should straighten out. If it hurts, find some thinner wire and try again.

Tape the straight end to your leading edge spar.

You won't be lifting anything heavy, so you want it as weak as possible while still able to lift things like empty soda cans. (Stand the tab up; it makes a challengingly small target which is all too easy to knock over.)
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#91 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

They have posted a rules page - http://www.sandyhook...ach_safety.html

"No kite flying in the guarded areas or near bird nesting areas."
I flew at Sandy Hook several Saturdays and Sundays after Labor Day, on North Beach, because it is the widest beach on the Hook. I spoke with a Ranger about it the first time, and he said it was no big deal in the off season, and even said it was a judgment call in the high season.

When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#92 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:32 PM

I flew at Sandy Hook several Saturdays and Sundays after Labor Day, on North Beach, because it is the widest beach on the Hook. I spoke with a Ranger about it the first time, and he said it was no big deal in the off season, and even said it was a judgment call in the high season.

Nonetheless, with that rule in the book, the kite-flyer is always in the wrong in any dispute. (In the interdicted areas, at least.) To be fair, the rule should continue: "... Elsewhere, kite flying is allowed and the first park user in any given area has the right to unimpeded use."
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#93 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:26 PM

Laura,

It's years late, but I don't think you ever got an answer to "How do I make a hook?"

The important thing is that it not be dangerous.

Get some thin wire and fold it in half (making a rounded end) and twist it up smoothly.

I've heard people suggest a straightened out paper clip, but they are WAY too stiff even single-ply and the ends are sharp. One strand from braided picture-hanging wire might be worth a try if you do not have access to a variety of wire sizes. PM me and I'll be glad to mail anyone a little bit of suitable thin wire already folded, twisted up, and bent to shape.

Then form an "L"-shaped hook near the rounded end.

Test it by hooking it someplace tender, like an ear, and pull gently. It should straighten out. If it hurts, find some thinner wire and try again.

Tape the straight end to your leading edge spar.

You won't be lifting anything heavy, so you want it as weak as possible while still able to lift things like empty soda cans. (Stand the tab up; it makes a challengingly small target which is all too easy to knock over.)

--Pete - I used the cut off corner from a plastic coat hanger to make my hooks!! Got one set from 1 hanger, taped them to my LE!! Use to make little pyramids from fiberglass rods and clear tubing!! Only downside was they'd rotate to the front or back and you had to straighten them out once in awile!!

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#94 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 07:30 AM

--Pete - I used the cut off corner from a plastic coat hanger to make my hooks!! Got one set from 1 hanger, taped them to my LE!! Use to make little pyramids from fiberglass rods and clear tubing!! Only downside was they'd rotate to the front or back and you had to straighten them out once in awile!!

Like I said, give it the "ear test". That will tell you if you want it out there on your kite.Posted Image

--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#95 manny

manny

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

I'm soo glad I am not on the east coast. If it is not the people then it is the birds you have to watch out for. How come the kite flyers always get the short end of the stick? Why don't the make a rule that says: You can fly your kite quietly but you can't bring your screaming obnoxious kids that disturb everybody's peace and quite???

#96 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

Hi Guys....

Wow... this brought back some memories Posted Image. That person was out there for sure!!

Hi Pete-

Thanks for the suggestion. I use the top portion of a wire hanger and a couple wire ties to wrap it around the end cap... it works, though I don't use it much these days.

Hi Andrew-

I think part of the problem at Sandy Hook was some of the dual liners, screaming their kites along without the control in crowded areas. Certainly the off season is not an issue at all. Also, the bay side is always open; as I was told. Safety, of course, has always been the biggest issue.
Even though Sandy Hook is a SWEEEEEEET place to fly, it is way off the "beaten path" for most. So, Belmar is a decent compromise. During the season, getting there early and owning our space has worked out well. I can't wait to get back there!!!!

Hi Manny-

Sandy Hook is a huge National Wildlife Reserve Park, so that's priority one. Also, during the peak summer season, the park is usually filled to capacity by late morning. The beach is huge; we're talking some six miles or so. There are a number of beaches on the ocean side which is where flying could be an issue during the season. The bay side is open for flying.

As John stated early on in this thread, demonstrating our skill and control will show that we are not endangering the welfare of people or animals/birds in the area. If we teach or just explain what we're doing, the control, that we're doing it safely, etc., the Rangers or anyone in charge anywhere we're flying will be more apt to allow it as they can understand it.

If interested, check it out on Google Earth. Sandy Hook, NJ is a cool place with New York's skyline visible out to the north east of it.
Laura

Posted Image

#97 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 09:07 PM

Concerning the birds: there are some very rare species that have evolved to nest on beaches. Huge expanses of sand where there isn't enough food for most of the year to support a population of ground predators. It was never a problem until suddenly there arose a species that was easily addicted to excess ultraviolet exposure. Later they (some of them) became addicted to playing with things made of sticks and fabric flying on the ends of strings. Now there is competition for room on these windy, useless expanses of sand. Fortunately, this new species evolved with enough sense to decide where to fly. Unfortunately, the birds did not evolve the ability to choose to nest elsewhere. They also are not smart enough to distinguish between kites and avian predators. I guess it's up to the folks with the smarts to let the birds nest where nature has stuck them, and choose to fly in similar places that don't happen to attract the birds. (Yeah, I know it's preachy; that doesn't make it untrue.)
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#98 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:30 AM

Concerning the birds: there are some very rare species that have evolved to nest on beaches. Huge expanses of sand where there isn't enough food for most of the year to support a population of ground predators. It was never a problem until suddenly there arose a species that was easily addicted to excess ultraviolet exposure. Later they (some of them) became addicted to playing with things made of sticks and fabric flying on the ends of strings. Now there is competition for room on these windy, useless expanses of sand. Fortunately, this new species evolved with enough sense to decide where to fly. Unfortunately, the birds did not evolve the ability to choose to nest elsewhere. They also are not smart enough to distinguish between kites and avian predators. I guess it's up to the folks with the smarts to let the birds nest where nature has stuck them, and choose to fly in similar places that don't happen to attract the birds. (Yeah, I know it's preachy; that doesn't make it untrue.)

Have you ever T-boned a sea gull ? That might be a whole nother topic. "Close encounters of the feathered kind" Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

#99 --Pete

--Pete

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

T-boned a sea gull...

Well, I don't tend to rate most sea gulls as "very rare species". Rats with wings is more like it. Posted Image

I have had a swan attack my white boat. I think someone had been harassing it with a white PWC. The ends of those wing bones left little star-crazes in the gelcoat where it was hammering at the side of the boat. Break a fore-arm or a shin-bone, they can.
--Pete
(sesquipedalian man)

#100 Reef Runner

Reef Runner

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

T-boned a sea gull...

Well, I don't tend to rate most sea gulls as "very rare species". Rats with wings is more like it. Posted Image

I have had a swan attack my white boat. I think someone had been harassing it with a white PWC. The ends of those wing bones left little star-crazes in the gelcoat where it was hammering at the side of the boat. Break a fore-arm or a shin-bone, they can.

I realize that we are getting really "Off Topic", but .................

Actually, I was referring to hitting a sea gull with a stunt kite (dual-ie), oh, and I second the rats with wings, part !!

Not only have I had several encounters with sea gulls, I actually hit an Osprey, one time. He wasn't very happy with my kite, or with me, and I was really a little concerned, if he was going to retaliate, or not. I was just cruising a Prism Fanatic, out over the surf line, and well, he was too, and you know what they say about two objects occupying the same space at the same time. Well it happened, but all was well. No claw marks, and I think the Osprey was just fine, because he went along his merry way, but he still looked a bit angry..........Posted Image

Sent from my regular old laptop, with real keys:

nick, from North Carolina
a.k.a. "Reef Runner"
Kitelife Subscriber #590

It's important to have as much fun as possible while we're here.
It balances out the times, when the minefield of life explodes.

J Buffett - "A Pirate Looks at Fifty"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users