• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:41 PM

Albert, with his horses head handle.

"There was one great big Lion called Wallace......"
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#62 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 02:45 PM

Steve and I try to fly in the same spot each time we go out. We usually go to the end of the beach with the least amount of people.

There has been many many times when people have been bothered by our kites, they think that we are hogging the beach, we're going to hit them, someone will get hurt ect ect...

The staff at the beaches knows us, that's a big help. Inviting the public in (kill them with kindness) another help, you feel people out and decided which ones you can mess with and wich ones have no sense of humer at all.

The dive stop scares a lot of people!!! They think that we are going to hit them!! So I personally do not place a dive stop upon anyone!! I approach the public on the beach with gentle non threating movements. I've been on the beach and seen other fliers do a dive stop over someone's head and that person turned around and made some really nasty comments.

The public needs to know that we can control these kites and that we want them to come and play with us. I've spent a lot of time teasing little kids with my Rev and then have the parent come over and say "thanks for wearing him out for me"

I think flying in the same spot is important. It gets the public into the habit of putting themselves in a spot where they are comfortable.

You are so right with everything you said. I try to fly the same area and I don't do any divestops over or near people. I won't "play" with anyone unless they know me. Also, I always try to "open the doors" to encourage anyone interested to try and fly and teach them whatever they want to know. As Aerochic said, some people just have a lot of "tude"... or is it just they're just rude? No, they just need to get a life; get a hobby ...try kite flying or something to channel their "tude".

The offer is still there for anyone that wants to join me and fly my beach. June 21 or 22, whichever is best for the majority. The beach is about 5 minutes off the parkway, exit 117. I'll put a post in the appropriate place and see if it flies ;) .

Thank you, everyone.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#63 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:57 AM

"There was one great big Lion called Wallace......"

You guys are making me smile. My Dad used to recite Albert's adventures with Wallace to me when I was a kid (a couple of years ago)

#64 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:25 AM

YIP,MADE ME SMILE 2 JIM.

BRIAN... :)

#65 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:43 AM

I heard those monologues recited by Ken "Nob" Baldwin. Nob was one of the original members of the Merseysippy Jazz Band, formed in Liverpool on Feb 14th, 1949. First met the band at Sacramento Jazz Jubilee in 1979. They played with Louis Armstrong when he was on his World Tour in 1956. When they were regulars at the "Cavern" in the 50s, the Beatles were their "interval group". We made about a dozen trips to hear them when they played at Hartley's Wine Bar at the Albert Dock. We attended both their 40th and 50th birthday parties in Liverpool. They still play at the Liverpool Cricket Club one night a week.
The band lost Nob and one other original member last year.

Look them up. A real fun bunch of guys.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#66 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:58 AM

The offer is still there for anyone that wants to join me and fly my beach. June 21 or 22, whichever is best for the majority. The beach is about 5 minutes off the parkway, exit 117. I'll put a post in the appropriate place and see if it flies ;) .

I MIGHT be able to make the 21st. Defintally not the 22nd though. Where you flyin' at? Sandy hook?
~AdventureAng
Happy flying to everybody. Now get off the computer and get a kite out! hehe

#67 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 11:05 AM

laura i remember you telling me about this on the phone.. i hve these problems here all the time includeing my last tredgity with the unleashed dog.. if the local police say you can fly there then keep doing it.. just remember to keep a good head about things as sometimes its not eazy to do.. it will work out youll see and before you know it the summer season will end and we will have the open beaches once again.. as for june 21 and 22 ill get back to you on that
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#68 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:16 PM

We are getting together on Sunday, June 22. It's Union Beach, Ang... 117 on the GSP and not even five minutes from the exit. What time do you get out of work? I'll stay 'til it gets dark if you want to come by later :kid_devlish: . Better yet, I'll put some lights on it and fly in the dark ...kewl....
Laura

Posted Image

#69 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:20 PM

Here I am preaching about tolerence, understanding and the softly softly approach and then this evening some tosser of a kid (excuse language) on a mountain bike comes jumping of a bank and collects my 'B' breaking up my only Race frame .....

I of course was the epitome of subdued eloquence ..... Eventually ;)

You know what really winds me up about these incidents is that they turn me into my dad ... 'in my day sunny we used to ride our bike on the road and respect our elders' ... anyway I'm sure he left suitably educated and respectful at least that's what I assume the victory salute he gave me as he dissapeared laughing into the sunset meant :confused!:

#70 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:28 PM

bummer.

I am sure it will all look a lot better after a nice cup of tea. Maybe one of the retailers will have bought some new rods with them to Basingstoke. Bring along your SLE - you may get a chance to land it in a firm and disciplinarian manner on top of one of the delightful little urchins.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#71 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:24 PM

Sick.

*deep sigh*

It's really gone downhill since the Millennium sadly.
1 of the 47.

#72 Fenman

Fenman

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

Bad luck mate ,

#73 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 03:50 PM

Awwww Jonesey I'm so sorry to read that! :(

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#74 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:06 PM

Here I am preaching about tolerence, understanding and the softly softly approach and then this evening some tosser of a kid (excuse language) on a mountain bike comes jumping of a bank and collects my 'B' breaking up my only Race frame .....

You know what really winds me up about these incidents is that they turn me into my dad ... 'in my day sunny we used to ride our bike on the road and respect our elders' ... anyway I'm sure he left suitably educated and respectful at least that's what I assume the victory salute he gave me as he dissapeared laughing into the sunset meant :confused!:

ayee..., he was letting you know that he fly's slk's :kid_devlish:

#75 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 08:15 PM

It's hard to be happy go lucky when someone destroys your cherished anything, let alone a Rev; when it could be avoided with common decency or respect of someone's space. Unfortunately, it seems most kids don't have that today. I know we all grew up fearing to disrespect any adult, their space, property, family, etc. in any way, shape or form. The kids today just don't...for the most part...it's sad...

I'm glad your sail is ok. It still sucks, though...sorry to hear it :sq-sad:
Laura

Posted Image

#76 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 06:09 AM

this same thing happend to me with my prism nexus 8 stack a greop of drunkin kids ran into it breaking alot of the rods .. much like the other mishap i reasently had that to ended with a sour note.. the summer is hard even though the weather is better .. however with gas prices dropping the tourism rates here we will get more beach spaces then you think
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#77 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

I am please to say that jonesey managed to secure a replacement spar today. So least said soonest mended.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#78 Sherman Myers

Sherman Myers
  • Forum Member
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:14 PM

Laura,

I used to fly at Sandy Hook after 6 PM in the summer. Never had a problem with people. You're close and there is no better wind in than on the Hook.

Good luck.
Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ

#79 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 06:18 PM

Laura,

I used to fly at Sandy Hook after 6 PM in the summer. Never had a problem with people. You're close and there is no better wind in than on the Hook.

Good luck.

Thank you....
Laura

Posted Image

#80 quaa714

quaa714

REVular poster

• Forum Member
  • 1,976 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 02:49 PM

Laura,

Good luck.

where specifically on Sandy Hook as there are many different parking areas? Did you find anyplace more acceptable than others to fly?

"Cya in the Sand!....."

"Slack lines are fine lines!"

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" BD
"One good thing about music, when it hits you feel no pain" BM
av-1950.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users