142 replies to this topic

#21 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:17 PM

Its the same problem all over the world, we nearly all fly in public spaces (I think Balloo has his own grounds with staff to rig his kites, bring him iced tea etc) so we have to be aware of other peoples rights to use the space, whether its dog walkers, RC planes or picnickers ... its just bloody hard to cope with the attitude of some people and its nearly always as a result of ignorance (perhaps 'lack of education' might be a better way of expressing it)....

My local field is next to the beach so lots of people out jogging, bike riding or just taking the family for a walk (ok its England so most often they are dressed in full foul weather gear leaning at 45 degrees into driving rain but you get the point!).... I always set up in the same spot, slightly 'off piste' but invariable have company at some stage. The first thing I do without fail is that if someone is approaching with a view to setting up station, I subtly 'mark my turf' by flying low and as wide as possible to the extremes of the window to make it obvious where I will be flying, combined with a few 'tricks' to make sure they have noticed me ... most are perfectly agreeable even curious and I always try and spread the word, some are unaware of how big the 'target area' can be and just need a little subtle education and some are just plain rude, my way of dealing with these people is to land my kite stroll over and introduce myself (ok sometimes I am an off duty police officer or retired hit man but that's just detail!) and find out what there problem is ... 75% of the time it enough to do a little education but sometimes as my mother would say 'you cant educate pork' and its time to walk away!

Laura.... sounds like you fly mostly alone like myself... that's the other problem... I never have an issue if there are other kite flyers (except with the other kite flyers!) so finding someone else to fly with might be the answer ... sounds like you are somewhere warm and near the sea so I am prepared to make the sacrifice if you pay for the flight ;)

#22 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:20 PM

Way to represent Jonesey, good on ya. ;)

I use similar techniques myself, minus the hitman bit (nice one).

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#23 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 01:47 AM

It is a shame we need such a large space to fly in.

Due to this I feel we have more responsibility to fly right. By this I mean with responsibility and courtesy.

I know that often it might mean we pack up and move, however better than a complaint that might stop flying in that place.

With our chosen sport / hobby / calling, call it what you may, comes great responsibility.

The more we can educate the better.

#24 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:24 AM

Thank you. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't being stubborn or something. Nah. I wasn't. Yes, they could have moved to another beach :kid_devlish: ... hmmm or state :kid_smartass: .

There are times when discretion is called for, and times when someone must stand their ground. There's a fine line between the two and we all have to measure each situation appropriately. I know that all sport kite fliers generally seek out the quietest times and places on the beach in which to enjoy their craft and avoid such circumstances, but sometimes it can't be helped. You'll run into rude people anywhere. Not everyone wants to be enlightened about the finer points of kite & space etiquette as well. :/

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#25 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:34 AM

I agree with all previous statements. You need to stand your ground, but at the same time, try to be respectful. Try explaining to them what it's all about. I've found that sometimes people aren't being mean on purpose, they just don't know what is going on and make assumptions (and we all know what happens when we do that). If it's a public area, then you have just as much right to be there as everybody else and by all means you should be able to fly your little heart out.

Oh, and if nothing else works, you could always run up to them and slap and iQuad sticker on their butt and start running as fast as possible. hahaha. Alright, maybe don't use an iQuad sticker, we wouldn't want to give them a bad rep or anything. hehe.
~AdventureAng
Happy flying to everybody. Now get off the computer and get a kite out! hehe

#26 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:19 AM

Invite the Jersey crowd to come fly the beach! The sheer numbers ought to give them pause.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#27 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:11 AM

The ill feelings must sorta take the sweetness away a little for ya.Conflict when flying isnt good.Defeats the object of the exercise to a degree.
Keep your smile,kewl,and manners.Try your best to find a partner to fly with or even involve the very people that are spoiling the ZEN moment[if ya see what im saying].
If the people that are wanting to cut your lines are say,playing soccer or throwing a ball,,,whatever.Try and share ther sport and space with them.

Makes it very difficult for them to not be your freind.If ya cant beet um,join um.Find some common ground,someone you both know,a freind of a freind. Conversation usually helps work a way out.Dont forget,its a small world we live in and people are basically OK.

If all else fails,,,,SMILE AND TRY AGAIN

Good luck.

BRIAN...

#28 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:13 AM

Invite the Jersey crowd to come fly the beach! The sheer numbers ought to give them pause.

-Alden

Were just sitting here waiting for the word.

Attached Thumbnails

• pups.jpg

#29 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:33 AM

Try your best to find a partner to fly with

BRIAN...

This works well for us. When Lynn and I are flying together, people tend to stand behind us and watch. Two flying Revs in the same space really gets their attention and they can see the degree of control you have over your kite. You will get remarks like "Wow, I've never seen anything like that before" or "How long have you two been doing this?" I usually answer that one, with a smile, "We got here about 1:30". :lol: Then start up a conversation with them as we continue to dance our kites together in the sky.

Besides, it's a lot more fun than flying alone. I haven't flown alone for over a year.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#30 rdnzl23

rdnzl23
  • Forum Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:34 AM

-Alden

Let me know when and where and I'll be there. Can't be too far from philly.

j

#31 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:44 AM

Besides, it's a lot more fun than flying alone.

safety in numbers (sadly).
I have never flown alone.

Until the kites are up in the air, ppl still have a tendancy to invade other ppl's space when we are at our most vunerable. :(

stay cool.
1 of the 47.

#32 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:46 AM

Oh, and if nothing else works, you could always run up to them and slap and iQuad sticker on their butt and start running as fast as possible.

Ang... I sense a theme developing in your posts!... I am currently buying up a stock of stickers in the vain hope you will be bringing your sticker 'receiver' to Portsmouth or Bristol in the summer :kid_devlish:

#33 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

What an adventure that would be Ang,

Naughty,but nice

BRIAN...

#34 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:31 AM

Ang... I sense a theme developing in your posts!... I am currently buying up a stock of stickers in the vain hope you will be bringing your sticker 'receiver' to Portsmouth or Bristol in the summer :kid_devlish:

I happen to have a stock of stickers. Not Iquad, but another team's stickers. I would be prepared to allow Ang to the privaledge of sticking one on my, how shall I say it, fanny - But only if she behaves.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#35 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:35 AM

how shall I say it, fanny - But only if she behaves.

= sticker target :kid_devlish:

only if Sailor misbehaves too, which is not too hard for him :lol:
1 of the 47.

#36 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:40 AM

I happen to have a stock of stickers. Not Iquad, but another team's stickers. I would be prepared to allow Ang to the privaledge of sticking one on my, how shall I say it, fanny - But only if she behaves.

Its bad enough we have to badger you to keep your shirt on now your getting more out!

And please remember that whilst our friends in the new world might use the word 'fanny' to refer to ones derriere others around the globe may misconstrue your meaning and begin to question your masculine credentials ..... something I am all in favour of encouraging of course :kid_devlish:

#37 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:05 AM

only if Sailor misbehaves too, which is not too hard for him :lol:

I know not to what you refer. Are you once again suggesting I have misbehaved in your prescence?

Jonesey - Don't worry, I embrace my feminine side and have lost the need to prove my masculinity. After all, it is self evident to those who meet me ;)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#38 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 10:49 AM

Any port in a storm is it Sailor

BRIAN...

#39 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

Any port in a storm is it Sailor

BRIAN...

I think we have a date for Portsmouth then. Would you like to go dancing or to the cinema before!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#40 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

anything to do with morals definitely requires a response of some kind
one of my theroies is the apparent invisibility of the lines combined with the large percentage of people who manouver through life not being mindful of their surroundings. it never ceases to surprize me how someone will almost trip over lines (with out a cautionary yelp from a flyer.) or how they wander under the kites while flying........ my summation is lots of them just can't see the lines from a particuler angle and they do not understand the dynamics of flying the rev .
when there are a bunch of revs on the ground and some casual dual or single liners showup , i find my self sort of patrolling doing wide manovers out near the edge of the window, hoping to enligten them about the space required..... works some times ... if not i politely speak to them offering suggestions etc. most people are totally uneducated about kiteflying and appreciate the info. those who fly on a regular basis know the parameters (we hope)
i agree.... it is up to us flyers to adapt and educate, we do fly in our own particular areas with the graces of our local governments and it can be easily taken away or limited if we do not conduct ourselves in the appropiate manner , especially when you are wearing a club or group attire.
that being said there are just some people in the world who are a## holes and thats it ..... no changing them....
we had an incident at the march rev clinic in long beach wash...... true it is a beach( huge .. 26 miles) but also considered to be a legal road way and the locals use as such. a woman who uses it on a regular basis drove her truck up on dunes ( a definite no no) careening in and about the kites on the ground. missing most kites but crushing the outside rods on one. eventually getting stuck being pursured by a whack of very angry flyers... aside from being oblivious to kite flying ,i figured she was scared sh## less after he response she got.
the result ... after police and park patrol arrived was..... she was wrong to drive on the dune but it is a roadway and we as flyers must default to the vehiciles and use the space appropriately. it is common courtesy ....and after all us rev flyers are of a higher intelligence than the knobs who cause us grief
terryw
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users