6 replies to this topic

#1 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:42 PM

I seem to recall that there was a thread round here somewhere with an idea for knotless end cap attachments. But no way can I find it now. Anyone else seen it or was it my imagination?
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:24 PM

I seem to recall that there was a thread round here somewhere with an idea for knotless end cap attachments. But no way can I find it now. Anyone else seen it or was it my imagination?

Maybe you were thinking about Skunky's article ?

#3 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:53 PM

Think these will do the trick Sailor
http://www.kitebuild...b7180b3d88997d4

Derek.

#4 skunky

skunky

Occasional Poster

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:55 PM

Maybe you were thinking about Skunky's article ?

Hi folks yes it was in the kite den but pages have moved about here is the new link
http://www.thekiteden.co.uk/page21.htm

#5 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:45 AM

That looks interesting too Skunky. But I found the article I was looking for:

http://www.thedurant.../quad/no.knots/
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#6 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:58 AM

I had a go at the "Durants" idea this evening. I drilled through one set of my Rev end caps and fitted them with new 2mm shockcords with the knots inside. It took a little bit of fiddling around to get the shockcord lengths right. They were 250mm for the wing tips, 220mm for the top of the uprights and 350mm for the bottoms of the uprights. 2mm for the shockcord was about the max as the knots only just squeezed down inside the endcaps. There are both pluses and minuses from what I can see with out a fly.

Plusses:
It is neat and tidy. In fact I would go further, it is incredibly neat and tidy.
It would definitely bring an end to lock ups on kisses and re-fuels.
It does look a whole load more professional.

Minuses
The knot in the end cap takes up some space and therefore the amount of engagement of the rod is less than normal. I am not sure if this will be a problem or not, but Wufer's suggestion of the end caps that are purpose made for this way of knotting seems to resolve this issue by not having the "eye" on the end caps, and therefore it creates more space for the knots. Jury out on this point.
It is fiddly getting the shockcord into the end cap. I found a plastic coated wire, the sort of thing that you find wrapping up the wires on your new PC, invaluable for pulling the shockcord through.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#7 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:03 AM

I had a go at the "Durants" idea this evening.
It does look a whole load more professional.

Minuses
The knot in the end cap takes up some space and therefore the amount of engagement of the rod is less than normal. I am not sure if this will be a problem or not, but Wufer's suggestion of the end caps that are purpose made for this way of knotting seems to resolve this issue by not having the "eye" on the end caps, and therefore it creates more space for the knots. Jury out on this point.
It is fiddly getting the shockcord into the end cap. I found a plastic coated wire, the sort of thing that you find wrapping up the wires on your new PC, invaluable for pulling the shockcord through.

As you say purpose made fittings are better, one thing we were after was to move the bridles and elastics in from the extreme ends to reduce wear during tip stands etc on hard surfaces, by slightly extending the fitting length and fitting the knots in from the end means the sticks can not come in contact with the shock cord at the knots and adjustments are easier, easeing the knots out of the fittings and adjusting is not difficult although with 3mm and 4mm shock cord used it does not need adjusting too often.
The pic linked shows an upright fitting at the LE from the rear, all the other fittings are the same.

http://picasaweb.goo...082545037255714

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users