Just got my first Rev - 1.5 SLE

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 steve_hobart

steve_hobart
  • Forum Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:33 PM

Hi to everyone, on the forum from Tasmania, Australia.

I have been flying dual lines for a couple of years, probably 4 or 5 times a week. Plus I am also a single line fan , having numerous custom designs and builds from a number of designers. Love frlying them at festivals and do a little buggying with a quad foil.

I have a Spirit Quad which I have been flying for a while and having fun with. But the other day I took delivery of my first Rev (1.5 SLE - second hand - great conditiion, thanks Charly W!).

I am VERY impressed with the Rev so far. I have only had two flights but have had an absolute ball!

The build quality and flight characteristics are fantastic and the precision and trickability of the kite is impressive (although the pilot needs a little work!).

I also have a Blast coming later on as well (I'm sure I won't be able to stop there!).

Anyway, just thought I would say hi. I have been reading other posts and they have been very informative - thanks you.

Look fwd to continuing to read the forum.

cheers

steve

My Web Site

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

Congrats on your first rev. It definitely will not be your last! I'm sure you've already found how addictive they are.

In my opinion, this is the best kite related forum. There is always something going on. Welcome.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:23 PM

You have made a wise move embracing the darkside! When you fly your kite, feel the force.......

At some stage in the near future, as you acquire more revs, you may become concerned that you have an addiction. This is the leader of the virtual self help group, RevAnonymous.com :

http://www.revkites....p?showuser=2056
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#4 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 11:59 PM

Welcome,,,or goday mate :)

Best forum on the planet i think.Need any info/help/or rehab.This is the place.Thers everyone from World champs to Chimps to guide you along.

Loads of knowledge and advice ,you just cant do without when you get bitten with the DARKSIDE.

E N J O Y.

BRIAN...ps,hide yr bank book and credit cards..lol

#5 Fenman

Fenman

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:04 AM

Hi and welcome to the Darkside Steve, I hope you injoy your stay
My first rev is a secondhand one,They are just great for using and abusing arnt they,
So now you have found the best kite and the best forum ,,nice one
If you feel that your Rev mania is getting out of control at a later date,and you need some help,
Then if link 1 is offline feel free to use the self help group,{ link below} I believe this is manned 24/7 very helpful and informative.

ONE CLICK HELP

#6 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:06 AM

Thanks Sailor... I used to have an addiction but I've managed to get it down to one a week now (ok fell of the wagon a little last week)

Steve... welcome .... Would be interested to know where you bought your rev's I have family and friends down under who I would like to point in the right direction? PM me if you have a recommendation...

The really good news about having you on board is sailor can now get more sleep rather then having to man the graveyard shift after the grown ups have gone to bed and us normal Europeans get up ....

Oh and if you haven't bought 6 revs within your first month you not trying hard enough :kid_devlish:

#7 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 02:05 AM

Hi Steve
Welcome to the dark side. :big_starwars:
I don't know what the wind is like in Tasmania, but looking a where it is on the map, I suspect it might be a bit drafty down there. Even so, may I suggest your next Rev investment is not another kite but an EXP leading edge, for the kite you already have. I know it sounds daft to spend money down-grading the kite, but don't look at it that way, look at it as giving you another kite for the price of three 3 sticks. Almost all serious Rev fliers that have a 1.5sle in their bag have an exp leading edge for it, usually in it as the default frame. Being lighter it will allow you to fly in much lighter winds and being more flexible it will absorb inertia better.

Trust me this is one investment you won't regret.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#8 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:09 AM

Almost all serious Rev fliers that have a 1.5sle in their bag have an exp leading edge for it, usually in it as the default frame. Being lighter it will allow you to fly in much lighter winds and being more flexible it will absorb inertia better.

Trust me this is one investment you won't regret.

Absolutly right SIS Bob - we put a 3 wrap from our B-series in our SLE sail for the 1st time the other night, and it flew like a dream! The SLE is great to learn on as it is pretty much crash proof, but for percision stuff and team flying, I find it all a bit snappy and jittery. Also the SLE is a fair weight, so low wind flying is a lot easier with a thinner, ligher leading edge.

May the force be with you!

G

#9 steve_hobart

steve_hobart
  • Forum Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 05:39 AM

Everyone,

Thanks for your kind welcome.

Well, I am no stranger to additction, already having three bags full of dual lines - however I am sure that the addiction will continue with the Rev's as well! Especially after today where I had my 1.5 SLE out in 15 mph winds ! Great fun figure 8s, dive stops, slides, leading edge landings - and flying backwards gets me everytime (cant do that with a dualie - especially those reverse launches !)!) I was surprised how much pull the 1.5 SLE had today in those winds.

Not sure whether this is the dark side or not - I seem to love flying anything dual, quad. single line - not too many dark moments over the last couple of years of flying !!

Thanks for the advice on the EXP leading edge - sounds like it is a better low wind option than the SLE rod (what wind range would recommend using the EXP LE in vs the SLE ?...

Tasmania is either very windy - or very low winds (not much in between) - so I have a number of low wind dual line SUL's that I fly along with a vent for the high winds - I figure that I will probably go that way eventually with the Revs to cover the wind range....

Jonesey, I'll PM you with the Rev retailer details down under.

cheers and thanks everyone.

Steve

#10 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:02 AM

There are various leading edge options in 'EXP' rods. If you have a look at the main part of the rev site and go to the B-series product information it has the recomended wind speeds for 2 wrap, 3 wrap and 4 wrap. There are also race rods which are 2 wrap weight but with 3 wrap strength.

Confused? There are some good threads in the forum on the different frames!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#11 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

Not sure whether this is the dark side or not - I seem to love flying anything dual, quad. single line - not too many dark moments over the last couple of years of flying !!

Oh yes it most defiantly is and I don’t think any of us would have it any other way. I’m not sure where this particular application of the term came from but I suspect it may be something to do with duel-liners thinking Rev fliers were somehow cheating with four lines, but quad-line is clearly a very different discipline and “The Darkside” is a label we all embrace.

Thanks for the advice on the EXP leading edge - sounds like it is a better low wind option than the SLE rod (what wind range would recommend using the EXP LE in vs the SLE ?...

That is a difficult one to call as it is more about feel and personal preference than numbers on a wind meter and it will change with your skill level. If I was advising a complete novice I would say it’s higher than you would thank as carbon is tough stuff but as you have duel-line experience you will know that already. That still does hold true to a duel liner crossing over, (though to a lesser extent) because with Rev flying being more about precision then tricks, the controls are more gentle and the stress on the frame is less punishing.

Tasmania is either very windy - or very low winds (not much in between) - so I have a number of low wind dual line SUL's that I fly along with a vent for the high winds - I figure that I will probably go that way eventually with the Revs to cover the wind range....

This is something else you will need to get your head around, as your collection grows. The idea that, if you have two kites, you don’t have two kites, you actually have two sails and two frames. Unlike a duel-line kite you can change a Rev frame in the field in minutes and end up with a totally different kite. It is very much a case of mix and match. Nobody expects you to get your head around it now, but as Jeremy has hinted at above, a very popular configuration is a vented (high wind) sail with light weight (low wind) spars.

Confused? Sorry, but believe me one day it will make sense, honest. ;)
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#12 steve_hobart

steve_hobart
  • Forum Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 08:02 PM

Jeremy, Bob , Sailor and everyone.

Thanks again.

Your point re 2 kites actually equalling 2 sails and 2 sets of rods is something new to me (my other dual line bags are full of different kites for different conditions) - and has really set me thinking now!

Also the mixture of Vented kite with SUL rods - that is not something I have thought of before !

Thanks guys, I can see more expenditure and experimenting happening here re sails and rods !!

I need help already !

cheers

steve :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users