116 replies to this topic

#101 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

I was surprised today by how my kite was flying, I've now checked the set up and I think (hope) it was a combination of

<snip>

End of the day I need to fly more !!

So many variables....

Felix

#102 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 10:10 PM

(BTW I've already posted on The Flying Squad forum...)

TFS forum :confused!:

Simon, I wish to thank you for being so helpful with some set up tips you gave me :)
I seem to do it differently every other trip out. :lol:

It's been a weekend for learning a lot, oh and putting a lot of names to faces ;)

I just wish the wind had been less swirly and a bit keener for some more precise flying.
Never enough flying being done ;)

It was a fantastic little festival, great w/e.
thank you all for attending, flying and sharing :kid_content:

PS Bazzer's meteor looked good up first thing on Saturday morning flown by Stephen.
1 of the 47.

#103 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:12 PM

oh and putting a lot of names to faces ;)

Choccy don't you mean face to names? and I sure some of the names I met will be thinking its not always a good thing... ;)

Great event ... My first and awesome to see the FS in action .... Simon as a punter if you were crap then I look forward to being that bad!

I think that my family might actually believe me now that kite flyers ... for the most part.... are actually pretty nice people :)

#104 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:18 PM

Choccy don't you mean face to names? I think that my family might actually believe me now that kite flyers ... for the most part.... are actually pretty nice people :)

Jonesey> it was a pleasure to meet your family too - it helps to restore faith in the future in this crazy modern world.
I still think you should have bought them one small ladybird for good behaviour! ;)

Nope, I go by names (from this forum) to faces in reality :kid_content:

If you tease some more, then I'll have no choice as to spill the beans what you did on Saturday! :lol::lol:
1 of the 47.

#105 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 11:54 PM

Ohhhh Simon, cat out of bag now?? :blue-confused:

set up tips

#1: When setting up and staking down kite, always lay it leading edge down!! Otherwise you will get 50 feet away and it will blow over, you will have to walk back to it, put it upright again, only for it to blow over again when you're 30 feet away, you will again have to walk back, you will pick it up again and turn around for it only to blow over again! Repeat until bored / frustrated...

(#1a: in high winds, substitute 'blow over' for 'fly away by itself')

#2: Listen to experienced kite fliers after #1 happens and lay the kite leading edge down! :)

PS Bazzer's comet looked good up first thing on Saturday morning flown by Stephen.

Meteor! :blue-grin:

Hezz

#106 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 12:45 AM

#2: Listen to experienced kite fliers after #1 happens and lay the kite leading edge down! :)
Meteor! :blue-grin:

Hello Hezz, whoops yes it is a meteor (lack of sleep here) :lol:

Set up - absolutely right, leading edge down does save on the walk.

Usually I set up with the kite with the leading edge facing up while I am attaching the lines, then flip it upside down as you say.
However Simon did show the flat way to set it up with the leading edge face down which is interesting.

We usually don't have the pleasure to set up in short grass or beach, hence my method to avoid crouching in the long grass with the critters (wibble).

PS Groz was proudly showing his Rok fight scars after his scrap with you and the others yesteday :lol:

PPS piccies going in the gallery of the nice new kites... ;)
1 of the 47.

#107 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:50 AM

Hi to Choccy and the rest of the THe Flying Squad fan club, dont worry you will still be able to see them next weekend at Basingstoke Hampshire, usually a good turn out of The Flying Squad, and great commentary and music too :blue-music:

Hi Simon
I couldn't believe the different mix of music you guys played.
The ballet competition to Scritti Politti :lol:
Excellent stuff, I bet that really baffled them.

Piccies of new team kites here. ...more to follow soon
1 of the 47.

#108 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:44 AM

Piccies of new team kites here. ...more to follow soon

Great pics, I like the way you have deleted all the ones where we *weren't* in the right shape (potato springs to mind)

It's always nice to look good on photos!

I loved the way that mine and Gary's kites designs fitted perfectly next to one another - no's 1 & 2 Bazzer! :blue-grin:

Hezz

#109 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 06:58 AM

Great pics, I like the way you have deleted all the ones where we *weren't* in the right shape (potato springs to mind)

It's always nice to look good on photos!

I loved the way that mine and Gary's kites designs fitted perfectly next to one another - no's 1 & 2 Bazzer! :blue-grin:

Hezz

I dunno what you mean (selective editing) :ani_whistling:
You flew perfectly from what I saw, no rotten potatoes :lol:

More to put online yet as you and Gary had me running backwards and forwards trying to get *that* shot (tee hee)

The #1 and 2 Bazzer design is very clever when stacked together that way ;)

ThanX for sharing your kisses with us :)
1 of the 47.

#110 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 11:41 AM

<snip>

Hezz

Hezz,

Please... think before you post! <grins>

Felix

#111 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 01:52 PM

OK one last setup tip. check your lines !!!! Then check them again !!!!

Luckily I have a flying site on my doorstep, and did my lines tongiht (people round here think I'm mad anyway !!!)

3 lines good, 1 line out by about 6 inches !!!!! HOW DID THAT HAPPEN !!!

BTW neighbours love the new REV's !!!

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#112 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 12:02 AM

Talking of checking lines, I find it embarrassing When you get your "Red line top", "Black line bottom" bit mixed up. Spiiiiiiiiin......... Also anyone ever set up leading edge down, carefully got the twists out of the line, stepped back a little, deep breath, and perfect inverted launch - only to realise you had forgotten that vital little thing - swap the handles in your hands so left is in left and R in R? The weird thing about that is that it is almost, but not quite, possible to fly. So you're not quite sure whats wrong and first. Then Doh!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#113 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:59 AM

......... Also anyone ever set up leading edge down, carefully got the twists out of the line, stepped back a little, deep breath, and perfect inverted launch - only to realise you had forgotten that vital little thing - swap the handles in your hands so left is in left and R in R? The weird thing about that is that it is almost, but not quite, possible to fly. So you're not quite sure whats wrong and first. Then Doh!

I can honestly say that I have never done this hunderds of times :blushing:

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#114 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:16 AM

Talking of checking lines, I find it embarrassing When you get your "Red line top", "Black line bottom" bit mixed up. Spiiiiiiiiin.........

awww I'm lucky to have red top and bottom on the left and black top and bottom on the right.
So no mix ups there *if* I stick to red = left etc.

I'm getting it down to a fine art of having next to no twists in the line as I separate the lines whilst I am unwravelling them.

Introducing the upside down launch still gets my handles in a pickle when using only 1 stake (more often than not) ;)
[edit: sorted this issue out now.. no worries and no pickles anymore, trouble is since then loads of kind folks have given me superb stakes]

Bit of a Columbo moment "just one more thing..." to add to the shopping list:
I've not worn a belt in over 10 years: had to go out and buy one recently just to have a place to stow my ground stake... :lol:
1 of the 47.

#115 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:40 AM

OK one last setup tip. <SNIP>

Any tips on how not to total Close Encounters deltas when coming in to land? It was all going so well until that point, then got so excited to be able to watch the flying squad's new kites in action that I completly forgot how to fly! :rolleyes: ooops. I don't think I broke anything, but they did move them out of harms way after that.

Sorry Alan and Marilyn....

Also apologies to Chris Goff and chums who repeatedly walked into the airbow I was flying (I'm sure I had it in a perfect hover and they just kept running sideways at it.....)

#116 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:10 PM

EDIT>>

Now if only Rev will get a Janneke Groen or Rob Brasington master series - that would be VERY cool...

I was wondering if Rev have thought about seeking designs from Rob? http://www.robertbra....com/tribal.php these would look outstanding.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#117 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:38 PM

No doubt. he'd make some great looking Revs. :D

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users