ground recoveries?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 streamhawk

streamhawk
  • Forum Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:33 AM

us newbs, full of questions. I'm pretty competent in righting my dual line kites, except for a dead launch. I've found my rev at times fallen face down over my lines and am having to take the walk to set it back up. Is there a way to recover from this position, or is it the walk?
Bill

#2 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

I am afraid it usually means the walk of shame. If you are lucky you may find a sharp tug on one set of lines gets you going again, but you do need quite a lot of luck and even if you get the kite to lift a little you often find you have a wing wrap to sort out too. Thats the problem with a kite that doesn't have a raised section like the central rib of a duel.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#3 streamhawk

streamhawk
  • Forum Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:42 AM

I was afraid that was the answer, I couldn't get a rise out of it with insult or joke. Well Sailor, maybe it's the problem, but also part of the joy of the kite. I'm enjoying four line alot so far, doing my best not to get frustrated over the small stuff.....like the walk for example.

Bill

#4 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:53 AM

When it happens to me I tend to casually put down the handles, lit a ciggy, amble over to the kite all casual like, give it a thorough looking at, stand it up, have another look at it all casual and amble back to my handles. I like to think this makes it look like I meant to do it. Other times when it happens, I jump up and down, punch the air and spin round in a circle and shout "That's the best pancake landing I have ever done!". Works for me!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#5 Fenman

Fenman

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

I was afraid that was the answer, I couldn't get a rise out of it with insult or joke. Well Sailor, maybe it's the problem, but also part of the joy of the kite. I'm enjoying four line alot so far, doing my best not to get frustrated over the small stuff.....like the walk for example.

Bill

Hi Bill
I treat the walk as a learning curve,{marathon}The good flyers can call it what they want,,but they all have took that walk ,but when you do the walk make sure your bridle is where it should be and not wrapped ,trapped under a spar as Sailor says,, or else ya got to do the walk again,, tut No I am not talking from experience :rolleyes:

#6 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

You have to ask yourself- what is worth more: a short walk to set your kite back up or the chance that some sharp rock or stick will catch and rip the sail as you try to force it into flying position?

Having once gutted a new sail on a kite whilst trying to dead launch on a beach where I didn't see the golf ball sized rock, all covered in barnacles, I now do The Walk.

#7 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

You have to ask yourself- what is worth more: a short walk to set your kite back up

hey Steve, is a 120 foot of long lines a short walk ? :lol:

Weirdest thing happened to me was a stall at the zenith, right overhead!
The kite completely fell out the sky straight down.. lines a bit long for a catch though :lol:
1 of the 47.

#8 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:27 PM

^a 240' round trip isn't too far (and Lord knows that I need the exercise anyhow) when I factor in the likelihood that the kite is over something sharp and unfriendly where I fly. B)

75' is about the maximum distance that I can reliably do the 3D catch & toss,, though I find it harder to throw the lighter framed kites. The ol' SLE is like a javelin. :D

We've been flying in some very odd winds the last few days- I lost count of how many times a direction change would have the handles at the wrong end and we'd have to swap them around, only having to repeat with the next change. It felt like tons of wind on the back of the neck at times, yet it felt like no kite was on the other end- no pull or lift at all. A bit disconcerting when you're flying over a lagoon, bordered by rose bushes, blackberry bushes and assorted other thorny weeds, all hungering for Spectra lines and ripstop sails. :kid_cussing:
evil_Wild_Roses.jpg evil_spectra_eating_weeds.jpg

#9 streamhawk

streamhawk
  • Forum Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

hey, appreciate all the responses, guess it makes us humble to be human, good to see I'm in like company. I like to think of it more like the Walk of Introspection, or as several of you suggest, the Walk of Inspection. Lmao Sailor, I see we'd get along just fine, ciggy in hand, looking cool doing the amble on down to the kite.

Bill

#10 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

... ciggy in hand, looking cool doing the amble on down to the kite.

Bill

You obviously haven't seen him in the flesh :kid_devlish:

Besides, with his kite collection he will be hiring 'staff' to do the walk for him soon .... My CV's in the Post!

I'm with Choccy ... having been playing with 120's lately it sure focuses the mind on not having to do the walk ..... I can only manage a few walks that long each week.

Top tip ... train the kids!

#11 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

hey Steve, is a 120 foot of long lines a short walk ? :lol:

It depends on how long your legs are.
For me it is a short walk.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#12 streamhawk

streamhawk
  • Forum Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:20 PM

It depends on how long your legs are.
For me it is a short walk.

a giant walks among us, now the "Long John" makes more sense.
Bill

#13 streamhawk

streamhawk
  • Forum Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

You obviously haven't seen him in the flesh :kid_devlish:

Besides, with his kite collection he will be hiring 'staff' to do the walk for him soon .... My CV's in the Post!

Top tip ... train the kids!

can't say as I have, but he paints a good picture at least.
Bill

#14 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:35 PM

well at my local field inland the weeds are poison ivy so no closeups like those without a few weeks of the ichies from the plants evil oils
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#15 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:52 PM

I am afraid it usually means the walk of shame. If you are lucky you may find a sharp tug on one set of lines gets you going again, but you do need quite a lot of luck and even if you get the kite to lift a little you often find you have a wing wrap to sort out too. Thats the problem with a kite that doesn't have a raised section like the central rib of a duel.

Actually, I have a different view on this. I believe that the subject is when the leading edge it facing you. If I am correct, there is a technique that works very well on any line set longer that 20'. The shorter the line set, the more difficult it is to pull off.

What you should do, is put both handles in your left hand, grab the bottom right string with your right hand, and pull. While doing this, try to keep the lines low to the ground, so that the kite will glide over the lines instead of through them.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#16 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 09:21 PM

Interesting Watty. I am almost certain to have an opportunity to give that a try next time I am out. The problem I find is that when I blow it I tend to blow it big time and the kite lands with all 4 lines wrapped fully round the kite, face down and with the tails towards you! Now that is such a strong pre-indicator of the walk of shame
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#17 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

hey, appreciate all the responses, guess it makes us humble to be human, good to see I'm in like company. I like to think of it more like the Walk of Introspection, or as several of you suggest, the Walk of Inspection. Lmao Sailor, I see we'd get along just fine, ciggy in hand, looking cool doing the amble on down to the kite.

Bill

Dont forget the cool shades, the hope being if anyone who knows anything about kites is watching they will not recognise you in your clever disguise. Then when you meet in the pub you can diss the guy that was taking the walk all the time. Your mate will never know it was you.

Clever huh??

#18 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

Dont forget the cool shades, the hope being if anyone who knows anything about kites is watching they will not recognise you in your clever disguise. Then when you meet in the pub you can diss the guy that was taking the walk all the time. Your mate will never know it was you.

Clever huh??

And of course Sailor forgot to mention that he often fly's topless so people tend to look away anyway ;)

#19 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:49 PM

Oh dear Jonesey, a double post. All this IT kerfuffle too much for you. Not everyone looks away - boy the number of requests I have had for signed photos since you published that competition.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#20 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 11:57 PM

Oh dear Jonesey, a double post. All this IT kerfuffle too much for you. Not everyone looks away - boy the number of requests I have had for signed photos since you published that competition.

Double post??? don't know what your on about old boy!

Oh and my mother asked me to say thanks for that signed photo you sent... Now can we get back on topic please :kid_devlish:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users