55 replies to this topic

#41 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

Some of the handles have an equaliser built in. The Clima multi-winder for example

I think you ment to say .........Some winders have an equaliser built in The Climax multi-winder for example :D :D
GARY

Posted Image

#42 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

Oh, you pedantic......

Actually what I meant was:

Some winders have an equalizer built in, the Climax Multi-winder for example. :D

Punctuation and capitalization is everything.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#43 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:21 AM

Oh, you pedantic......

Actually what I meant was:

Some winders have an equalizer built in, the Climax Multi-winder for example. :D

Punctuation and capitalization is everything.

Not to be pedantic but shouldn't that be 'Punctuation and capitalisation are everything'.?

#44 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:34 AM

Nope, this is an American forum. You will note I also said "Equalizer"
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#45 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:40 AM

Nope, this is an American forum. You will note I also said "Equalizer"

Think even the strange American language would use 'are' instead of 'is' ??? anyway please try and stay on topic Sailor .. tut tut ...

Swapped my top/bottom lines tonight for the first time tonight on my 'usual' line set and it was like I was flying a different kite.... will pay more attention to this in future..

#46 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:47 AM

You know I take the opposite view about swapping the top and boom lines. For a start it confuses me (easy to do I know). Also if you leave them alone then it just stretches the top lines, which results in you having more brake. So just take up a knot or two on the top lines. Out of interest, and as a result of this thread I checked my regular 80lb lines today. The tops are about an inch longer. And you know it makes not a jot of difference - I just work on knot 2/3 rather than 1/2.

An aside, but it of course explains why JB and I use different top knots - he is of course copying my handles settings but his top lines are not stretched!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#47 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:00 PM

An aside, but it of course explains why JB and I use different top knots - he is of course copying my handles settings but his top lines are not stretched!

That's because they fly in a 'ladies' breeze over there and I guess that's also why he's often seen topless... trying to copy your style :kid_devlish:

#48 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

Correction Sailor, my top lines generally *are* stretched...

When I'm on new lines, I'll often use the inner-most knot on the bottom to compensate, until the lines stretch out. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#49 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 12:21 PM

I must admit to not have tried a different handle setting for a while. So on the basis of this thread I tried letting the top out some more today. I have a set of handles with extra long leaders on top, so let them out to the last but one knot today. Not sure if it suited or not. I liked the hover a bit more, but the reversing seemed to be over sensitive - kept on stalling a wing (pre-cursor to a bow tie). But one flying session is not really a fair assessment. But two thoughts did spring to mind.

Firstly it emphasizes the point that one should experiment, even when you have become accustomed to the settings you "like". If you don't keep on trying something new how can you learn and discover.

The other thought was why make a top leader with so many knots in when most of them are 'useless'. Surely the first 5 knots just serve to confuse a new punter?
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#50 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 01:08 PM

The other thought was why make a top leader with so many knots in when most of them are 'useless'. Surely the first 5 knots just serve to confuse a new punter?

surprisingly, better to have more knots than no knots at all J.
As a complete novice on the SLE, (way back) I couldn't even launch it properly until Stephen had tied some knots for me :blush:

confusion didn't come into it... just relief to launch at last :kid_content:
1 of the 47.

#51 mjsigrdrifa

mjsigrdrifa
  • Forum Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:20 PM

Ah HA! Matt! Yes, I remember :) :)

Just so y'all know, that's me with the hat in the background of Theresa's picture , stupervising (must have been all those bottles on the counter...) No, actually I was standing there thinking to myself, "Crap, if I had to sew that all back together, the poor devil's leg (No Pun intended) would be attached to his body in a great, big, stinkin' loop instead of flying free in the wind.

And just so you all know the line problem has been solved, except for flying and adjusting. I drove over to Vancouver to get help from Theresa. She showed me more in 45 minutes tha I could ever learn on my own. And I know that y'all know this already, but she's got a great shop over there and one more loyal, new customer! You Rev fliers' biggest problem is that you're all so d@#$ed helpful.

Hearty BIG Thanks Theresa!!!

So Now I just gotta sit back and watch as Jonesey and Sailor hijack what's left of the thread here (no pun there either <groan>...)

Now if only the wind would cooperate...

#52 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:29 PM

Did you try out the new 'reset' lines yet, or has the wind been too uncooperative to all that?
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#53 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:28 PM

So Now I just gotta sit back and watch as Jonesey and Sailor hijack what's left of the thread here (no pun there either <groan>...)

Do you think he's trying to tell us something Sailor?? You try and help a guy out and huh!

Glad your sorted Matt .... If nothing else its made me go back and check how some of my line sets have 'moved' and made a few tweaks ... and before Sailor dives in ... YES, even with my level of flying it does help!

Let us know how it pans out for you ...

#54 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 10:59 PM

Lines are a bit like guitar strings- they do go out of tune when they're brand new and gradually settle down and stay pretty close after a few re-tunings.
Proper breaking in during set-up will reduce the amount of stretching they do, but it's not unusual for even the best lines to get out of balance.
Learning to equalize your lines is an important part of being a quad line flier.
I tend to do line maintenance on those otherwise frustrating swirly/random wind days, so they're all tuned up when the winds improve.

#55 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 11:04 AM

Here's an interesting one... I was flying my 2~4 down on the beach tonight and seemed to be really on top of it (if you've flown a 2~4 you will know what I mean) and seemed to be really comfortable doing bicycle turns both ways etc rather then being much better one way then the other .... after 10 minutes I stopped and checked my handles and realised I had my bottom line on my left handle completely different to my right! ie about 3 inches more break on my weak side (I think) ...

I know its no substitute for learning to do it properly but was interesting non the less.... :)

#56 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 May 2008 - 08:42 PM

Maybe the lesson is that you would be more comfortable with more break when you fly. Give it a go.

I don't know about the blast, but the sonic seems to me not to like heavy break like I use on my 1.5s. I tried it once and it seemed too willing to pop into a float, was way too sensitive (uncontrollably so) and never really got its momentum up. The blast, being a honey monster, would be different though I guess.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users