11 replies to this topic

#1 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:13 PM

Has anyone tried using a 1/4 inch 4 wrap leading edge on a supersonic?

Thanks somemore!

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:53 PM

Has anyone tried using a 1/4 inch 4 wrap leading edge on a supersonic?

Thanks somemore!

Nope... why?

Stupid question I suppose it should be 'why not!' ... Ive got a standard in my bag and a vented inbound so could give it a try.. do you have a reason/plan for trying?

Pretty sure the standard (SLE) rod is stiffer then the 4 wrap 1/4 (moments of inertia and all that) so maybe would give you a slightly lower wind range, but the key to the speed series is that the shape is more 'locked in' ... gut feeling is it would be a little 'softer' to fly and slower..... Oh hell ok will give it a try if there's any breeze tomorrow...

Of course the 3" difference in leading edge length might be an issue? (based on brochure info)

#3 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:13 PM

Already tried that the leading edge needs to be stiff or it just flaps like a bird in even the lightest winds sorry no go.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#4 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:00 PM

the supersonic is designed to be a stiff speed kite .. the 1/4 LE would make it flex too much and kill the peformance .. thats why that the blast and the shockleave all have the SLE rods.. manly the blast has it because its a big kite with a 9 foot le and also has a stiff sail.. for side slides and floating
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#5 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:49 PM

Jim .. should have known you already tired it ... I have a saillmaker friend looking at a custom 2~4 sail, kevlar or carbon stay tuned!

Antman .. have you been drinking by any chance?? looking at your last few posts its that or somebodies switched the keys around on your keyboard ;)

#6 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 12:01 AM

Although the supersonic is a great "yahoo" kite as is, I was hoping that by using a 4 wrap leading edge it would bow a little more and have better directional stability and tame the sensitivity at the ends in a medium wind. I know the leading edge is shorter than the 1.5 etc. and I don't want to chop up a perfectly good leading edge if it ain't gonna work. Thanks for all the input.

#7 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:21 AM

Although the supersonic is a great "yahoo" kite as is, I was hoping that by using a 4 wrap leading edge it would bow a little more and have better directional stability and tame the sensitivity at the ends in a medium wind. I know the leading edge is shorter than the 1.5 etc. and I don't want to chop up a perfectly good leading edge if it ain't gonna work. Thanks for all the input.

The other thing I would recommend is some short handles. I have a set that I use with my ss and shockwave, makes quiet a difference, calms the whole thing down and stops me over compensating.

#8 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 02:05 PM

If its stability and precision in the speed series your looking for I suggest the Vented Sonic, like the vented in the 1.5 series it really tames down the kite while still retaining its speed.

If you do decide to go that route I would advise you fly that kite only as much as possible in all wind conditions until you know it and how it flies like you move your hands.

When I got mine I flew it in all winds and everyday for 2 months I didn't even carry my kite bag just that one and the handles and line set and in time I was able to do with the Vented Sonic pretty much anything i can do with the 1.5 and THEN SOME.

While we are on the subject, line adjustments on a speed series and finicky they do not like allot of brake pretty much the way the handles come are the way they fly best, you can put 1 knot on the bottom and maybe 2 on the top that would be the most you'll ever need adjustment wise.

Good luck, the speed series are amazing if appreciated for what they are, fast yet floating freaks.
Jim,

Posted Image

#9 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:46 AM

I'll be curious to hear the test results on this. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#10 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:54 AM

one thing i love about the sonic .. with 13 inch handles its a flic flac monster
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#11 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:41 PM

I'll be curious to hear the test results on this. ;)

It won't work John I tried the 1/4" 4 wraps in the supersonic it fluttered like a humming bird and almost snapped the rods from the torque, the ultralight SLE rods do bend enough to not make it totally stiff but as I had mentioned the Vented Sonic IMHO is far superior to its non vented version.
Jim,

Posted Image

#12 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:08 AM

I have both the standard supersonic and the vented version. Granted, the vented version is more stable and easier to fly but is slower and needs a lot more wind to fly in, which I don't always have. I like the speed series for their insane side slides and reverse performance. I may try it anyway 'cause sometimes I just have to learn the hard way:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users