9 replies to this topic

#1 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 06:23 AM

I generally fly in winds between 5mph and 15 mph and was wondering if using the standard leading edge as on the EXP instead of the SLE leading would be better.

I currently have a 1.5SLE and was thinking of getting the EXP rods as well to get me a little more flex.

what is your thoughts on this?

Thanking you in advance.

#2 lummas

lummas

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:26 AM

It really depends on what feel you like to your kite.  The SLE keeps the kite very stiff and makes it very responsive, but can make it a little too much so when the wind gets strong.  Putting the 3 wrap fram in the kite would allow it to bend a little more, cupping the wind and absorbing any gusts, so the kite satys good and steady.  

Like most of these things, each has its advantages and it is just down to personal taste.  

Personally I have both but tend to fly with the 2, 3 or 4 wrap standard frames, rather than the SLE, as I prefer the feel

Thanks,

Mark.

#3 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:35 AM

Thanks Mark for your advice.
I'm definitely going to get the standard rods as well.

#4 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:07 AM

I have ended up with a fairly full complement of sticks for my 1.5s: 2-, 3-, 4-wrap standard, and 3-wrap SLE.  I tend to start out a bit on the heavy side and then swap out if it feels sluggish.  If I want to lighten up, my first step is to go to lighter verticals (e.g., 3-wrap down to 2-wrap) since that is such a quick and easy swap.  That is a noticeable change in flight characteristics.  Then when that isn't enough I'll swap out the leading edge.

Yesterday I got to take my new custom vented out.  Wow, what a great kite.  It seems like it just smooths out any gusts.  I started with 4-wrap non-SLE in about 10ish mph, and by sunset was running 3-wrap in about 6ish.  I probably should have gone to non-vented, but I was impressed with how well the vented was flying in those diminishing winds.  2-wrap would have been my next step if I wasn't losing sun.

The possibilities are virtually endless with vented and non-vented sails and frames of SLE/4, 4/4, 4/3, 3/3, 3/2, and 2/2 (leading edge/verticals).  I've got weights for all these frames if anyone is interested.  (Sorry, I'm an engineer--can't help it.)

--Lee

PS: The EXP sticks are 3-wrap, so if you want a full 3-wrap standard frame, just order an EXP leading edge to go with your SLE's verticals.

#5 stryker2

stryker2

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:54 PM

Thanks Lee.

I have just ordered another REV, this time the vented 1.5 custom with a standard 3 wrap frame.
I should receive my new "ay" in 3 to 4 weeks.  :-)
In the meantime I will keep practicing on my new 1.5 SLE custom
:-)

#6 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:10 PM

Lee, I would really like your chart of frame weights
Howard

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 04:54 AM

the exp has a light 2 wrap le i have that one for light days other then that i use the 3 weap le that came with the 1.5 but i also get the beach breezes so the 3 wrap gets used more then the 2 wrap
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 ilh

ilh

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:23 AM

leading edge/verticals

3-wrap SLE/4-wrap 5.7oz
3-wrap SLE/3-wrap 5.3oz (stock 1.5 SLE)
4-wrap/4-wrap 4.8oz
4-wrap/3-wrap 4.6oz
3-wrap/3-wrap 3.7oz
3-wrap/2-wrap 3.4oz
2-wrap/2-wrap 2.8oz
2-wrap/IIIp 2.6oz

The IIIp is some old (~1993) SkyShark IIIp with silver stickers I had lying around.  I believe my IIIp weigh about the same as the current P90.  I wish I had more of it.

--Lee

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:27 AM

thanks Lee. I have used p90's for my rev 11 and love it. It seems much lighter than the rev 2 wrap spars and is strong but not as stiff as the rev 2 spars.
I wonder if the lack of stiffness takes away from any weight savings??
Howard

#10 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:51 PM

nice chart lee that gives me a better idea of some of the spar weight in my collection
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users