49 replies to this topic

#21 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:20 AM

to managing the whole of the compulsories book albeit rather raggedly.

LOL...I knew that was a daft idea suggesting you practice the precision figures in order to help with the transition from following where the kite goes to making the kite go where you want it to. If you're quick you could enter the UK STACK competitions this summer; you're guaranteed second place!

#22 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:32 AM

LOL...I knew that was a daft idea suggesting you practice the precision figures in order to help with the transition from following where the kite goes to making the kite go where you want it to. If you're quick you could enter the UK STACK competitions this summer; you're guaranteed second place!

I'm anticipating seeing Sailor at the S'ton STACK competition next month :lol:

Now I understand where this determination has come from.
Hope you are on the mend soon David.
1 of the 47.

#23 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:34 AM

Had thought about that David, but I have not a clue about ballet, or the technical bit for that matter. On advice from Keith G I am probably going to do the winter stuff first. Then next year maybe the summer stuff. As to a guaranteed second place, I don't see it that way - remember when I say ragged I certainly do not mean all over the place like a certain petit competitor! :);)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#24 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:39 AM

I also fly with Choccy, Groz, Sparky and Jonesey from time to time which is fun and in that sense encourages you.

Sailor, you have yet to pass on the wisdom from the Dunstable clinic ya know! ;)
We never seem to get the chance to properly chat about things, because we are too busy flying, (well I am). :lol:

I find myself not having enough breaks and even worse not even stopping for a drink of water for hours :blue-confused:

Last Sunday, half an hour of team flight just 'flew' by but I really did need a break then. :huh:
I really am that determined and focused.
1 of the 47.

#25 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:43 AM

I have passed on tips from dunstable - more brake, make sure you can reverse to the top of the window, gently with the hands on a reverse hover, most people do not move enough..... This was all stuff people told/showed me at dunstable.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#26 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:32 AM

I have passed on tips from dunstable - more brake, make sure you can reverse to the top of the window, gently with the hands on a reverse hover, most people do not move enough..... This was all stuff people told/showed me at dunstable.

Sorry Sailor about the misunderstanding, I do humbly apologise.

I have always sung your praises with the help, hints & tips you've shared.

I was under the impression there was more wisdom shared about the team flying rather than the individual stuff.
With 2 days of tuition I thought there'd be loads more hints and tips/advice.

We were thrown in the deep end at Ostend 'team'.
A couple of situations got me outside my comfort zone, which is fine individually but not during team flying.
I have been working hard to resolve some of these this week, to some degree of success but still having to work it out all by myself (like most of us).

:ani_giveup:

*hug* or :big_beer:
1 of the 47.

#27 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:34 AM

There never seems time to stop and talk whenever I do a meet up, the novelty of sharing the airspace with others takes over, but personally whenever I have quizzed Sailor I have had a very constructive answer... I was having real hand problems trying to do bicycle turns and like others a tendancy towards being right hand orientated and he sorted that one out straight away .. and of course how to light a fag one handed while flying and I dont even smoke ;)

Biggest problem for me is not having enough time ... would be nice to do a residential clinic somwhere (Florida ?) and be able to spend whole day's working through the key techniques....

#28 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:40 AM

... I was having real hand problems trying to do bicycle turns and like others a tendancy towards being right hand orientated and he sorted that one out straight away

Jonesey> this sounds similar to the issues I am facing ATM.

Is it easy to resolve ?

I've watched groz doing these and I still don't get it :lol:
1 of the 47.

#29 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:54 AM

Jonesey> this sounds similar to the issues I am facing ATM.

Is it easy to resolve ?

I've watched groz doing these and I still don't get it :lol:

I am probably the last person to ask but the logic as I see with bicycle turns and the like it is that for us newbies the tendency is to want to always 'lead' through a turn with your dominant hand and I suspect that what happens is the switch over point coming out of the turn to 'leading' (not sure that is the right word?) with your other hand is later and thus the turn isn't symmetrical or smooth so the kite moves around in the air..

For me what happened is you start the rotation and tend to 'follow' the kite with your hands like a steering wheel and reach a point where you need to uncross your hands and it all goes to 'Pete tong' .. I then learnt to use my fingers rather then moving my hands so much and Sailor showed me that when I was getting to the 'bottom' of a bicycle turn (inverted hover) my hands should be symmetrical and ready to reverse into the second half of the turn.... The next thing of course is the rhythm and feel bit which is harder to explain until it clicks .... but the first time it clicks and you find your hands pumping forwards and backwards, whilst swivelling thumbs back then forwards in a smooth flowing motion whilst the kite spins on the spot is sooooo sweet... Then you wonder how the hell you did it as you try in vain to do it again!

For me the next task is to deconstruct the turns a little, slow it all down and be able to control the direction of movement whilst spinning ... no where near that yet let alone most of the other disciplines but getting one little thing down really encourages you keep trying.

Now did I mention I did an inverted take off and turn one handed??

#30 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 04:27 AM

No need for apologies.

And yes the key, for me anyway, on bicycle turns was avoiding getting your hands in a terrible muddle. Once that is done and you can do the 90deg turns without the hand muddle it is simply a case of working on the fineness to keep the kite from moving. Then you have to learn to do it at different heights - it isn't so easy at about 70% as I found out on the clock tower compulsory! and 45deg intervals, or less, adds an interesting additional dimension in keeping the kite from moving.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#31 david ellison

david ellison

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 06:51 AM

As to a guaranteed second place, I don't see it that way - remember when I say ragged I certainly do not mean all over the place like a certain petit competitor! :);)

Oh the scope for misunderstanding'ism's is endless on this interweb thingy ;) ! What I meant to write was "at least second place". And you have every chance of taking the honours. Le Petit Hombre has never been overly keen on practising precision figures.

Chris appears to be all on his lonesome again though this year and you'll certainly learn heaps by sharing a competition arena with him. Pound for pound perhaps (one of) the most talented kitey peeps around.

#32 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:18 AM

You know that's an interesting different take on things David. It would be interesting to meet Chris, although perhaps out of the arena first. I really am not at a standard where I would be prepared to present my flying yet. Besides which, if we are measuring it in terms of talent per pound I would have to be twice as good as him!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#33 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:21 AM

Baloo. How far would Swindon be from you

Be about 70 miles Sailor. Hour and a half or so depending on traffic.

#34 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:31 AM

Besides which, if we are measuring it in terms of talent per pound I would have to be twice as good as him!

You'd have to run twice as fast.
Have you seen how fast he goes ? :lol:
1 of the 47.

#35 Fenman

Fenman

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:48 AM

This is making great reading ,,im lost on most of it ,but there is some great tips coming out,
Cheers all

#36 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:19 AM

This is making great reading ,,im lost on most of it ,but there is some great tips coming out,
Cheers all

Have you not noticed how often we, on this side of the pond, stray of topic? The grown up's over in the colonies are better behaved but even they get silly sometimes so don't expect to fully follow the logic of such an eclectic mix of rev heads ;)

#37 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 11:57 AM

Which reminds me, I was just watching Life of Brian (Sorry Bob!)

And yes Choccy I have seen him on the run. Portsmouth last year he had to run like billy-oh because there was no wind. Still, he managed a couple of 360's on his 2 line with 80' lines :o Me, i would have still been flying my SUL without braking a sweat (Ye sure!)! Typical scrum half if you ask me - as a wing forward I have flattened his like before. (he doesn't read this forum does he - I seem to have accidentally thrown down the gauntlet)

Baloo - we ought to arrange a meet at barbury. I am sure Groz and Choccy could make it and maybe Jonesey and Sparky too. You are more than welcome to stay over at my place (The neighbor is a landy fan BTW - just had to put one of hers into a museum).

Fenman - You are a bit out the way from us, but are you doing Dunstable - you should!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#38 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:35 PM

Baloo - we ought to arrange a meet at barbury. I am sure Groz and Choccy could make it and maybe Jonesey and Sparky too.

I'm in B)

#39 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:49 PM

Baloo - we ought to arrange a meet at barbury. I am sure Groz and Choccy could make it and maybe Jonesey and Sparky too.

Sounds like a plan ;)
Will you behave Sailor ? :lol:
1 of the 47.

#40 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

Will you behave Sailor ? :lol:

Implying I misbehave perchance...........? I think not.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users