49 replies to this topic

#1 Fenman

Fenman

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:36 AM

Since i started to fly Revs this year i wondered how many more New flyers their are,and
How far has your skill set got?
how often do you get out to fly,
Do you have a mentor,flying buddy,?
How much do you hope your skill set will have improved over the next 12 months?
What rev do you pick up first?

My skill set is very basic at the moment,just got the inverted stop off, turn and back up
Hold a hover for only a few seconds. and turns
Now i have a start i will be out 3 times a week at least
I think i have made some good friends who dont mind showing me the next bit.
once i have the hover half tidy i would hope to increase my skill set by 200%
The first rev i go for is the Sle,

#2 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:50 AM

...The first rev i go for is the Sle,

Hi Fenman :)

Started with a standard SLE in 2007 but failed miserably due to a lot of factors (which I have mentioned on this forum in places).
Gave up on the SLE.

I received a vented B-series 2.5 months ago and have learnt *alot* since then.
I'm learning all the time but mostly have had to figure it all out *myself* or my co-pilot Groz who is also self taught.

You are welcome to keep pace of my learning curve with my "learning to fly" Blog on the kitelife forum.

Ppl keep thinking we are way ahead of where we are and we haven't had a lesson yet! :lol:

keep at it... and pray for sweet breezes :)
1 of the 47.

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

I have a few revs,ive a few two line,ive a few one line.All of them are a learning curve to fly.

Thers one thing i have learnt,you will learn ten times quicker with someone to fly with.Once you think your at a safe and resposable level,you will learn variation in skill.Your confidence will grow along with your knowledge.Mixing with other flyers is an absolute must.Haveing the forum,kitelife, People like Ben,Stephen H,John Mitchell,and many more top class people realy does ease the pain of SOLO/LONE flying,But ya cant beet haveing a pal/freind to fly with.Especially if ther as skilled as some of the guys ive flown with.

Another thing ive learned is,time on the lines and practice,practice,practice,

Most important,,,, E N J O Y ,,,,,,, I T ,,,,,,

BRIAN,ho,and send Lolly flowers to say thanks as shes a goodn

#4 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:23 AM

My one year Rev anniversary will be in June. :)

My "skills" have much to be desired atm, but I'm learning. I've finally found a decent hilltop field to fly in only just recently. I don't really have a local group to fly with, but when time and money affords me, I know that I am welcome to fly with the wonderful Wildwood Crew. :) I've learned so much more in the company of other fliers, but I'm all trial and error (and comedy) on my own. It gets very frustrating sometimes but I learn more with each outing.

I can tell you that once I had changed the rods from my SLE around to 3 wraps, life was made a whole lot easier!!! Whew! I'm looking forward to learning alot more this year. :D

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#5 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:53 AM

Fenman.. good question,

I am three months in and fly 90% alone, maybe 3 times a week for about an hour at a time.... NOT ENOUGH!

Sparky was the culprit for getting me into this but he is busy trying to repeat an impressive gold medal haul from the last 2 Olympics so isn't around much to fly, so the 'Alpha Dog' in our patch is Sailor99 who has honoured me with an audience on a few occasions ... these are always the sessions that mark an improvement, just watching his hand movements, body posture and relaxed approach and when he's not lighting a fag he sometimes flies a kite!

I am finding at the moment that I have plateau'd a bit and don't seem to be able to move forward, I guess this happens to most people, partly it seems that the breeze hasnt played ball for me and partly I just need a kick in the backside to structure my solo sessions and develop some goals e... i.e. work on one skill area.

Which kite? Vented B on race frame seems to be the default for me, and my 2~4 when conditions allow...

As to current skills, I guess hovers, bicycle turns (thanks sailor!), clock turns are getting there but I struggle with accuracy so am all over the sky a bit...I have managed a few one handed inverted take off's, hover, turn and hover ... but never witnessed so doesn't count!

Am nervously looking forward to Portsmouth to be shown in no uncertain terms how far there is to go... but that's the point, right?

Good times!

#6 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:47 AM

<snip>

Am nervously looking forward to Portsmouth to be shown in no uncertain terms how far there is to go... but that's the point, right?

Good times!

Will you be able to be at Blackheath (14-15 June) as there may be a possibility for a 'warm-up' for individual fliers who might want to take part in the Portsmouth/Bristol events? Stephen is hoping to do a 'clinic' at Sunderland as well.

For practical reasons 'confidence will be required' <grins> as there no way out of the grid except by means of an orderly 'fire-drill'.

On another note, the learning curve goes on forever.... When I started there was no-one else to watch in the UK. I never saw the video either. Flying 50 x 360s on Blackheath was a bit of a revelation. Must have been mad!!!

Felix

#7 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:13 AM

Will you be able to be at Blackheath (14-15 June) as there may be a possibility for a 'warm-up' for individual fliers who might want to take part in the Portsmouth/Bristol events? Stephen is hoping to do a 'clinic' at Sunderland as well.

For practical reasons 'confidence will be required' <grins> as there no way out of the grid except by means of an orderly 'fire-drill'.

On another note, the learning curve goes on forever.... When I started there was no-one else to watch in the UK. I never saw the video either. Flying 50 x 360s on Blackheath was a bit of a revelation. Must have been mad!!!

Felix

Blackheath sounds easier then Sunderland for us southern softies... but am going to try and make both!

#8 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:39 AM

Felix

OMG,never thought about it from the,,i was the only one angle :wacko: ,,.Just a kite,field card and lines.Thats mad as.I and a few others are quite glad your mad or wher mad.Look now though at the madness youve caused.We have someone to blame atleast :lol: .

BRIAN...

#9 AdventureAng

AdventureAng

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:45 AM

The Wildwood Kite fest last year was my first experience with a Rev, so I'm coming up on my one-year anniversary. I haven't been out to fly as much as I would like (because I'm constantly fighting with all the other hobbies I have; flying planes, rock climbing, sky diving, running, biking, hiking, kayaking, and the list goes on...), but I seemed to pick up on things pretty quickly when I first started. Now days, I seem to be getting some more moves down, but not the ones that I want to. I would usually fly with my boyfriend (who has been flying for quite a few years), but since he has gotten a lot better than me, he doesn't really want to fly with me anymore. oh well. I find that flying with other people helps a bit because it's a lot of fun and you learn a lot of stuff, but sometimes when I do that, I find myself watching them more than I'm actually flying (I can sometimes talk too much at times too). I fly on a B-series mostly and love it. I'm hoping that in the next 12 months I can increase my skill set 10-fold and really knock the socks off of some guys (because some of these guys over here think it's just a mans sport).
~AdventureAng
Happy flying to everybody. Now get off the computer and get a kite out! hehe

#10 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:39 PM

Got back into the rev August / Sept 07
one of the B's always comes out first depending on wind
still learning the inverted hover well trying to stop it sliding about.
mainly fly on my own 99% of the time

got to make an effort to get out more
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#11 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:42 PM

OMG,never thought about it from the,,i was the only one angle :wacko: ,,.Just a kite,field card and lines.Thats mad as.I and a few others are quite glad your mad or wher mad.Look now though at the madness youve caused.We have someone to blame atleast :lol: .

BRIAN...

Brian,

I may have been mad but what has happened to your speeling chucker?

Felix

#12 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:48 PM

Blackheath sounds easier then Sunderland for us southern softies... but am going to try and make both!

Good on ya!

I have posted on the Portsmouth/Bristol thread.

In the meantime 'I/some of us' are on Blackheath most Sundays between 10:30 and 12:30 subject to weather and other events.

Felix

#13 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:54 PM

i started revs back in 97 with an exp .. that i couldnt get off of the ground.. now i have a nice collection and hope to make it bigger..what a great sport and now with the weekend flies im wanting to do it more and more
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#14 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

A miss ,,spelt,, youth Felix.

BRAIN...

#15 streamhawk

streamhawk
  • Forum Member
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:34 PM

I may be the newest of the new here, I've had exactly one flight so far, got some instruction from Ben at a festival in Tulsa, OK, and within 15-20 minutes I got a good first launch, turns, hovers at 3 and 9, and landed softly without breaking anything, and could roll the kite over on the ground from inverted to upright. Pretty basic stuff, but I felt pretty good about it. I have a yet unflown (weather has been lousy lately, too much wind, rain, even tornados) standard B in a nice teal. I expect to be flying alot soon, think next time out I'll attempt tip landings and see if I can slide at all.

Bill

#16 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:13 PM

Hey streamhawk, welcome to the darkside!

#17 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

Well boys and girls,
I have just gone past my one year anniversary!
I have been lucky enough to have iQuad around me all year.
At the end of the day after flying my Single Line Kites we would fly for a bit in team and then one of them would give me something to practice.
I am a stubborn son of a bitch when it comes to practice and will go away to the corner and hammer it out until it's ...well at least better.
When you have truly amazing flyer's around you all the time it really does speed up your learning curve. It can feel more like a straight line.
I consider my self fortunate to be in a position in my life to do this and understand that many of us do not get this opportunity.
However I strongly believe, along with all of iQuad, that passing on the experience (gift) that is Rev Flying is so important.
Many people see the videos and the shows and go wow!
We Thank You with all our hearts, but please know this.... That is just the outside surface, one of many end results of this fascinating hobby/life.
That is not why we do it.
For us to turn round at the end of the day,after flying with new people, and seeing new team flyer's out on there own busting in and out of a ball or just threading.
Thats where it is.
The pure passion and joy, the thrill of just pushing your personal best a bit further.
Most important of all...laughing and joking. Enjoying each others company and learning from foul ups.( no body ever learn't anything without making them!)
It takes time and dedication and a willingness and want to learn.
That passion has lead to the clinics . Both here in the US and with Stephen in the UK.
I never knew a year and a bit ago that it could all be so much fun.

So to my brothers in the team ...I say Bow! Bow!, and I can hear the reply in my head as I know they can!

To all others out there teaching and encouraging new flyer's...you are the bomb.
Never stop and Thank You in advance from the next flyer you help into our family.
I will do my part as I know that you all will do yours.

Bazzer

The Limey On Lime

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#18 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:27 PM

Wow it only seems like yesterday I was the new flier on the block (well forum). I started last summer, and with a combination of learning on my own, advice on this forum and help from others I made progress I am really happy with. Two people in particular gave me a kick up the learning path - I have already sung their well deserved praises so won't do it again (but if you get a chance to do a training session with Mr Hoath grab the opportunity, although unfortunately that all-round good egg Mr Ellison is injured at the moment so not flying). I also fly with Choccy, Groz, Sparky and Jonesey from time to time which is fun and in that sense encourages you.

In a little under a year, flying maybe 3 - 5 hours a week, I have moved from flattening the grass by repeatedly smacking my kite down onto it, to managing the whole of the compulsories book albeit rather raggedly. Sure, I am still exceptionally young and beautiful (*cough*) so, like all youngsters, find it easy to learn. But the truth is that with rev flying you seem to learn so much every single session! It really is so confidence building to make progress up the learning curve.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#19 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:02 PM

For anyone that is new to Revs.

I have been trying to fly Revs for almost 3 Years now. Although I can find my way round the sky and almost don't need to do the long walk to re-set the kite after it falls flat on it's face (well I still do sometimes) I am still at the stage that most of you are at after only a few flights.

I also have quite a few Revs in my bag. But mainly only fly the two B's.

My reason for not being too good, I don't get out there and fly anywhere near as much as I would like to. Also I fly ALONE. The only time I have got to fly in a bunch it helped SO much.

I hope to fly MUCH more this year.

Best advice to anyone new, and I cansider myself very new. Fly more and try to find someone to fly with. And if you get the chance to go to a clinic DO IT. Even if you are not able to take off properly yet. YOU WILL LEARN SO MUCH.

Don't get me wrong, I am SO HAPPY flying. Would be great to do some of those neat moves though.

#20 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 10:10 PM

Baloo. How far would Swindon be from you
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users