14 replies to this topic

#1 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 07:31 AM

can anyone tell me the main differences between the 1.5 b series and the rev exp
are the sails the same shape and size etc ? just a different pattern and material
is it just the frames that are different if so what frame differences are there
are the bridles the same ?
any help would be appreciated
many thanks

Maker of the ULTRA NO SNAG HANDLES

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#2 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:28 AM

The EXP has a 3/4 ounce nylon sail
and probably 3 ply non-tapered tubes made of wrapped graphite.

A B-series has a polyester sail
that's lighter in weight (.5 or .6 ounces per square meter/yard, the weight is measured w/o any coatings, by the way!) It's the same dimensional shape overall, but a much better panel layout for flight. So good in fact, the flyers with significant experience can actually and immediately "feel the difference". Depending on your deal, it comes with extra frames and longer throw handles, complete with leaders for team-styled pilots plus a DVD coach. Add some 90# LaserPro gold lines and a I-Pod full of good tracks for a perfect afternoon of R&R.

I'm in a kite club with a lot of highly qualified builders, national champs and int'l star-caliber builders! We also have a very loyal following of quad-heads, who have been doing it together for decades. The consensus opinion is that "you can't make one at home this good, for anywhere near the prices charged!"

You can also order custom stuff, through your local kite shop maybe, or the factory-direct path. An example?
I have an all Black Supersonic (a Stealth model I guess you'd call it). I just received a SUL B-series 1.5 kite with Race Spars a few weeks ago also.

The bridle design and the raw materials used are the same on both kites (EXP & B-series)

My pre-Baressi series kites and even my masterpiece Revs seldom see airtime anymore. The B-Series wing is very very addictive! I change the bridles on all my REVs and add training wheels too, even on my indoor kites. I also use what many would consider to be excessively long throw handles. My favorites are titanium and 17 inches long, measured in between the gap of the flying line attachment points, not along the curvature.

If you have an EXP kite great,... enjoy it and learn all it's capable of.
Remember you can buy John Barresi's signature series kites, that doesn't mean you'll be the next nat'l champ though!

Is the B-series worth the additional expense? for me that's a no~brainer. YES
The better sail material is worth the difference in cost alone. I have lots of REV frames already at home, so I can order a sail-only deal from Lolly & Ben,
but even if you bought the whole package and paid retail, it's a lifetime of pleasure for a few hundred bucks. How many recreational activities can you say that about?

The oldest REV I own is a Back-tracker, a true dinosaur to be sure. What a unique experience it was to learn that dog, all alone! You new guys don't know how lucky you are, to be getting into REVs right now. The kites are great and the level of experience folks have gained during the past 20 years is a Godsend! Then throw in some DVDs to coach along those doing by themselves. What a great product the company has assembled!

When you are ready for B-series upgrade, understand you'll need both standard and vented models, maybe even a custom SUL too! Then use the old EXP kite to teach others on. Let it get so tattered and frayed that you're embarrassed and finally give it away to some poor soul. They will think they've won the lottery and the cycle can continue.

#3 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:34 AM

The EXP and the B's are the same shape. I think the bridals are the same, however the thickness might be different.

EXP you get 1 rod set, B you get 2.

I think they are different materials, however the sail "pattern" on the B is designed to make the sail more "efficient" at channeling the wind.

You get pigtails on the B handles although you can easily make some up for the EXP.

You get a SUPER COOL dvd with the B, I think you get a "how to set up" CD with the EXP.

If you are thinking of buying one I think the extera you pay for the B is well worth it. Get a standard and vented and you are set up for any wind you are brave enough to fly in.

However I started with an EXP as I would expect a lot of folks on here did. Nothing wrong with a EXP. Will take the knocks of starting up, and enable you to fly alongside the best once you are used to it. You will not have the "edge" a B gives, nor the smooth flying characteristics of tha vented.

Personaly I would go for an EXP over the SLE. However a SLE with an EXP type frame in it is fine. The SLE leading edge can be a bit solid, however you can pretty much smash it into anything and it will fly on. The B series package just gives you so much more choice. 2 rod sets that you can mix and match to suit the flying conditions.

Hope this information is right, I think it is. And hope it has helped.

You will find a couple of threads on here discussing the EXP over the SLE over the B series.

#4 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:57 PM

thanks baloo and revflyer very helpful

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#5 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:00 PM

Does anyone have the DVD that comes with the b series rev that i could buy or borrow (i would take very good care of it)
I have the basic rev 1 setup DVD
If its "to borrow" i will pay all postage costs

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#6 Ninjak2k

Ninjak2k
  • Forum Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 04:36 AM

I have two and would be happy to send you one (got a Std. and Vented B-series B)) . Send me a private message with your address and I'll try to figure out how much postage is.

#7 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:40 AM

Thanks fellas sorted with DVD

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#8 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 05:48 AM

Does anyone have the DVD that comes with the b series rev that i could buy or borrow (i would take very good care of it)
I have the basic rev 1 setup DVD
If its "to borrow" i will pay all postage costs

Have it as Mp4 for viewing on my iPhone etc if you need it in another format .... v.useful for reviewing in the field... or sad whatever way you want to look at it!

#9 jburka

jburka

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 06:22 AM

Haven't looked at an EXP recently, but I would guess it's the original 1.5 sail pattern. This is not the same shape as an SLE sail. I've compared my SLE sail (it was either the first or second SLE sail release) and the chord from the tip of the V in the center of the sail to the LE is 3/4" longer on the B-series. This explains the different flight characteristics of the B far more than do the panels. (if the sails on the SLE/EXP/B-series were identically shaped and all of the flight characteristic differences were due to the panels, a vented B would fly a lot more like a non-B. It doesn't).

I don't own any official masterpiece kites, but I do have an official custom rev built by Bazzer and its sail is cut identically to my B. While the kite doesn't fly as well due to the multi-layered nylon sail, it behaves a lot more like a B than a standard.

#10 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:12 AM

Is it my imagination or does the EXP move faster than the b ?
(certainly faster than the vented anyway).
1 of the 47.

#11 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 08:55 PM

I have found that Jonesey's SLE is quicker that the B and pulls more. I think it may be the choice of sail material (nylon v polysester) having more stretch, bases on a comment by John M.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#12 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 09:32 PM

I have found that Jonesey's SLE is quicker that the B and pulls more. I think it may be the choice of sail material (nylon v polysester) having more stretch, bases on a comment by John M.

Faster or twitchier?

#13 BAZ

BAZ

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:58 AM

Am i right in thinking that my EXP has 3 wrap rods in it
and
if i buy a b series vented it will come with a set of 3 wrap and 4 wrap rods
are the exp and b series rods interchangeable
the reason i ask is that if so i may try to buy a b series with 2 wrap and 4 wrap (have the store swap a set) which would give me a full set (apart from the race rods)

BAZ

ani_victory.gif

#14 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

Yes to all your questions. However you may struggle to get the store to swap the rods as the B comes as a pre-packaged package, if you see what I mean.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#15 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

Of course it is worth asking. The worst you will get is a no!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users