First time kite

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Darin Fong

Darin Fong
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:32 PM

It seems like everyone on this board is pretty experienced with stunt kites. I had a triple stack dual line setup about 15 years ago, but haven't had anything since.

Is a Rev kite a viable option for a "first timer" flying stunt kites? Should I start with a dual line first?

If I am going to spend $80 to $100 on a dual line, even though the quads are a lot more money, that's a $100 I could put towards a Rev kite instead of a dual line.

Which Rev setup is good for a first timer?

I guess my main question is is it too hard to try to learn how to fly a quad before I know how to fly a dual? Does experience with a dual even help you when switching to a quad?

How long does it take before the average person can keep a Rev in the air and stable without crashing?

I think I have a decent aptitude for this type of thing. I do fly RC helicopters. I know it's unrelated, but maybe having good hand-eye coordination helps a little...

Also is there any kind of FAQ for Rev kites? Especially the terminology like vents, wraps, etc.

Sorry about all the noob questions.

Thanks in advance,

-Darin

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

It seems like everyone on this board is pretty experienced with stunt kites. I had a triple stack dual line setup about 15 years ago, but haven't had anything since.

Is a Rev kite a viable option for a "first timer" flying stunt kites? Should I start with a dual line first?

If I am going to spend $80 to $100 on a dual line, even though the quads are a lot more money, that's a $100 I could put towards a Rev kite instead of a dual line.

Which Rev setup is good for a first timer?

I guess my main question is is it too hard to try to learn how to fly a quad before I know how to fly a dual? Does experience with a dual even help you when switching to a quad?

How long does it take before the average person can keep a Rev in the air and stable without crashing?

I think I have a decent aptitude for this type of thing. I do fly RC helicopters. I know it's unrelated, but maybe having good hand-eye coordination helps a little...

Also is there any kind of FAQ for Rev kites? Especially the terminology like vents, wraps, etc.

Sorry about all the noob questions.

Thanks in advance,

-Darin

Darin...

I have never flown dual lines ... and bought my first rev in February this year... I now have 6 with another 3 on order .. be warned!...

You've already made the first important step.... finding this forum.. every question, tip or bit of advice I have needed has been answered on here ... they are a great bunch of people who really encourage us newbies and help reduce the gradient on the learning curve (but don't tell them it will go to their heads!)

As a first timer the beauty of the rev is that you learn something every time you fly (not sure this ever stops does it guys?)
so day one the challenge is to take off vertically and then land ... following the steps on the dvd that comes with the kite you are encouraged by the fact that it pretty much 'does what it says on the tin' and you will find after a few attempts you have your first move mastered (ish) and that's how it starts!

Which kite .... I don't think you will find many people on here that will stray far from the 'B' series as a first purchase... depending on your prevailing conditions either standard or vented (you will buy both eventually!)

The next thing is to find people where you live that fly revs, either that or you fly alone and be ready for the 'rev effect' ..... dog walkers, kids, couples etc asking you the question 'whats that then? ' .. you wont be alone long!

Welcome!

My name is Peter Jones and I'm a revaholic!

#3 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:11 PM

Hello Darin, welcome :)

Jonesey is quite right.... you've come to the right place for advice. etc

I'm a relative newbie myself, after not much success with dual line stunt tricks but love dual stunt ballet with tails :)

A little dual line experience will help with quad.

I struggled with the standard 1.5 SLE, mainly because the winds are too strong for me.
The lines were not equal and there were not extra knots tied on the handles.

Whatever you end up buying make sure the lines are good!

I ended up learning on a B-series vented.
I'm into my 3rd month and love it.
I'm still learning all the time and don't crash too much at least not in a dramatic way (haven't broken anything yet) ;)

It's also easier to chat whilst flying quad kites due to the nature of the hover.

whatever you decide I hope you have loads of fun,
It's great for the soul.
1 of the 47.

#4 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:41 PM

Thanks in advance,

-Darin

If you prefer helicopters to fixed wing planes then Revs are the way to go. Dual line kites are equivalent to planes (unless you really know what you are doing) they fly towards the nose all the time, Revs can hover, reverse etc etc,

The "B" series is a great choice but if finance is a factor then the EXP is still an excellent kite. Take a look at the traders because some offer kites with lines and handles, some just the kites so what may seem a good deal may not be by the time you have all the bits you need. Although you can get great deals on the internet I would recommend finding a local trader as after care sales is very important, you will want another one soon!!!!!

As for newbie questions, for every person posting there are another 10 watching who also want to know the same thing so ask away.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#5 Darin Fong

Darin Fong
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:50 PM

The next thing is to find people where you live that fly revs, either that or you fly alone and be ready for the 'rev effect' ..... dog walkers, kids, couples etc asking you the question 'whats that then? ' .. you wont be alone long!

Thanks for the feedback Peter and Choccy!

I should be able to find someone in the area that flies Rev's since I live 20 miles from the Rev Kite factory. I would assume there are some San Diego people flying Rev's.

I would imagine not many poeple would let me "try" theirs out given the expense of the kites and potential for crashes.

I guess now I just have to decide to take the plunge and spend the money. How do you all justify the expense for a kite?!

-Darin

#6 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 01:55 PM

Unlike some other sports, like golf or skiing, once you have the equipment, it doesn't cost you anything: the fuel is free. B)

#7 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 02:48 PM

I should be able to find someone in the area that flies Rev's since I live 20 miles from the Rev Kite factory. I would assume there are some San Diego people flying Rev's.

I would imagine not many poeple would let me "try" theirs out given the expense of the kites and potential for crashes.

Darin, I should think if you run across any of the San Diego Revvers they would be more than willing to help you and give you a chance to try one. Rev flyers are a friendly bunch and many folk often have a trainer kite for just such occasions. Stick with this forum, I'm sure someone will be offering you help in no time. :)

Rev flying is quite different from flying duals, so I almost think it's better to start fresh, if you know what I mean. :)

If you go to Revolution's site, there is a handy list retailers available for you to check out. Being that you live near Rev Central, I would think you'll have plenty of options. :)

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#8 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

Thanks for the feedback Peter and Choccy!

I guess now I just have to decide to take the plunge and spend the money. How do you all justify the expense for a kite?!

-Darin

Darin, Every second Saturday of each month is the San Diego Kite Club Meeting at Mission Bay Park. You will find normally at least 10 REV fliers there.
The next 2nd Saturday is this coming Saturday. Maybe even Ben will be there.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#9 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:24 PM

The Rev is an awesome first time kite and it is a kite that will be with you for many many years of flying. I have been flying rev's for over 8 years now and still learn things every time I take them out.

There is a very common misconception that Rev's are more difficult to fly than other kites because they have four lines. This is not true at all. Rev's can actually be easier to learn because you have the ultimate control, you can slow them down and also because you can reverse-launch them if you crash. The controls are a bit different than dual line kites so even if you learn to fly dual line kites first you will still have to learn the controls of the Rev's so learning to fly a dual doesn't make it easier to fly the Rev's and in some cases you may end up having to un-learn your dual line habits to fly the Rev.

As for kites, the B-series is arguably the best model for all-around flying. It is a very nice kite. If price is an issue then the EXP or the 1.5 SLE kites make a very good bargain. The sails on all three models are nearly identical, the only real difference between them is the type of material used, the frames and the accessories. The B-series kite does not come with line in the packaging and must be purchased separately where the EXP and the 1.5 SLE can be purchased with line for quite a bit less. All three of these models along with the Rev 1 are perfect kites for the beginner who has never flown a Rev before or the experienced pilot who has flown for years. They really are the most versatile kites in the industry.

Hope this helps.

#10 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:14 PM

Darin

Lynn and I both started with Revs about seven years ago. A couple of years later we got dual line kites, flew them a few times and put them away. Now, we only fly Revs.

Revs are really fun to fly With a little experience, you will be flying with others in no time. Flying by yourself is fun, but flying in pairs or teams is like going from a tricycle to a motorcycle.

Come out to Mission Bay Park, just south of the Hilton this Saturday, and see what it is all about. I'm sure someone will get you into the air. We plan to be there for a time in the afternoon.

Caution........... It can be a life-changing experience. As I have said many times before, the only thing that changed our lives more than flying Revs, was having children.

True story.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#11 Darin Fong

Darin Fong
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

Darin

Lynn and I both started with Revs about seven years ago. A couple of years later we got dual line kites, flew them a few times and put them away. Now, we only fly Revs.

Revs are really fun to fly With a little experience, you will be flying with others in no time. Flying by yourself is fun, but flying in pairs or teams is like going from a tricycle to a motorcycle.

Come out to Mission Bay Park, just south of the Hilton this Saturday, and see what it is all about. I'm sure someone will get you into the air. We plan to be there for a time in the afternoon.

Caution........... It can be a life-changing experience. As I have said many times before, the only thing that changed our lives more than flying Revs, was having children.

True story.

Hi Jim,

I will try to make it out there.

What time do people usually show up there?

How late do people stay out there? I have a job near Mission Bay that doesn't end until 4pm. Do you think there will be anyone there at that time?

Thanks,
-Darin

#12 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:37 PM

What time do people usually show up there?

How late do people stay out there? I have a job near Mission Bay that doesn't end until 4pm. Do you think there will be anyone there at that time?

The club gets there before lunch. Some fliers stay the day, some start leaving 2ish. Lots depends on the wind.

We will be at a car event at Campland, and plan to get to the park on Saturday between 1 and 2 probably stay until 4 or 5, depending on what is going on back at the car event.

We will also be at the park this Thursday from about 1-1:30 to about 3:30- 4:00. That's before things get going at the car event on Thursday.

Stop by on Saturday as early as you can. Someone may still be flying.

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 06:52 PM

The club gets there before lunch. Some fliers stay the day, some start leaving 2ish. Lots depends on the wind.

We will be at a car event at Campland, and plan to get to the park on Saturday between 1 and 2 probably stay until 4 or 5, depending on what is going on back at the car event.

We will also be at the park this Thursday from about 1-1:30 to about 3:30- 4:00. That's before things get going at the car event on Thursday.

Stop by on Saturday as early as you can. Someone may still be flying.

The first arrivals are around 10:00. Most everyone has gone by 4:00. As Jim said, you might find a few still hanging in there after 4.
I am usually an early arriver. By 4 I usually have had enough sun.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#14 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 10:56 PM

How do you all justify the expense for a kite?!

-Darin

Darin....

What expense?? these things don't cost much ... (sorry the wife was looking over my shoulder!)

I guess it depends where your coming from.... I have sailed all my life but don't own my own boat.... when you compare the cost of a rev with a set of golf clubs, a bike etc the value for money of a Rev is amazing.

What I like about buying a 'B' is you have everything you need in one package (on this side of the pond lines are included from most suppliers) including a second frame so you can fly in most conditions...

Sounds like you live in just about the best place you could to get started... let us know how you get on.

#15 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 11:31 PM

Darin, I can only repeat what has been said above.

I have been flying Revs for a couple of years or so. Still very much a novice as I dont get to fly anywhere near as much as I would like.

I have a bag full of Revs, and more to order.

My greatest problem is I fly on my own. I have flown with others and it increases the learning curve.

You will fing you are about to join an huge extended family that reaches all around the World, mainly due to this forum, and the enthusiasm of all the Rev fliers.

I am jealous of you, you have the chance to meet a group of Rev fliers that will almost FORCE thier handles on you. And if Ben is there, he is the Dayddy of the family.

Good luck, please let us all know how you get on.

#16 ramakristan

ramakristan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 06:14 AM

Hi Darin,
Welcome to the world of Revolution kites, there is no turning back from now on.
As what most Rev fliers said here, its a global affair and we have a whole lots of fliers as far as Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, Australia, New Zealand.
As for me, I started dual lines and bought 2 kites in 2000, and when I purchased my 1st Rev in 2004, it was a Super Blast, indeed I really had a blast time flying, bought a few more Revs, 2 1.5 SLE, 1 Barresi and 1 Shockwave. Since then, I seldom fly my 2 stunt kites, hardly once a year.
Flying a Rev is very addictive, you get to learn new things everytime you fly, and the more you fly, the more you want to learn new tricks, trust us, it is very very addictive, I blamed it on my friend for showing this awesome quad lines Rev kite, the best thing happened in my life other than my family.
For 1st timer, go either the EXP or the 1.5SLE, once you know how to fly, in no time, you will have a collection of Revs. Blame us, lol
How on earth you live so near to a Rev factory and not know about Rev kites ???
Anyway, you will have a blast time in no time.
Cheers,
chris

www.ramakristan.multiply.com

#17 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:51 AM

Darin

Usually it only takes a few minutes to be able to keep a Rev in the air. The two most inportant things are 1....Keep tension on the upper lines to keep the kite flying and 2....Learn how to use the brake (botton lines) to guide and stop the kite.

A couple of weeks ago Lynn and I were flying on Pismo Beach. We turned around and there was a man standing there who had been wathing us for a few minutes. He said that he has been flying dual line kites for a couple of years, but was getting boared the them.

I gave him a short "ground school" on the controls, handed him the handles and he launched the kite. The first launch ended with a long, slow, circle to the ground, not really a crash. We discussed what he had done wrong, then he launched again and flew the Rev for about five minutes. During that time he was flying in circles, figure eights and landed the kite right side up.
He left the beach and went straight to the kite shop to buy a Rev. They didn't have any Revs, so he ordered two on line, a "B" series standard and a "B" series vented.

This guys life will never be the same. ;)

#18 Darin Fong

Darin Fong
  • Forum Member
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement and great feedback.

You know I made a conscious decision never to try golf because I was afarid of becoming "obsessed" with it like my father and many of my friends. That was one "vice" I didn't need to add to my busy life. Of course one may argue that I am missing out on a lot of fun...

So should I be scared of buying my first Rev? :revonhead:
I guess when you put it in terms of all the other expensive hobbies one can have, the cost of one Rev isn't that bad, but 4 or 5 or more, multiple line sets, etc. That can get a little out of hand!

I think it's already too late and I don't even own one yet!

I will blame it all on all of you when my wife finds out how much they are. :kid_devlish:

Thanks a lot!

-Darin

#19 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:29 PM

I will blame it all on all of you when my wife finds out how much they are. :kid_devlish:

Hey Darin,
Maybe get the wife interested in it so she won't freak out so much :lol:

There are some couples around the globe that actually enjoy flying together... ;)
1 of the 47.

#20 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 02:20 PM

Yea, get the wife interested and she'll be begging you to buy another kite so you will stop bothering her when she is out flying YOURS! LOL

Only problem with that is that now you have to buy all your kites in sets of two!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users