#1 KYT ADIK

KYT ADIK

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:29 AM

Hey Rev'ers
Went to setup my kite this weekend, and one of the LE rods was givin me some issues, so I pulled it out of my kite and found that the Furrel (think i spelled it wrong) had pulled loose from the Middle rod and was stuck in the End rod... :confused!: Like the glue or whatever just came loose... so I carefully put it back into the center rod, affixed my end caps and flew like a champ in light winds all day... But obviously I need a new set of rods....But I was wondering if this a common problem with rods??

Have most flyers stopped flyin 2wraps and go with Race Rods??
Or do most flyers have both in thier bag???

Starna*

Kiting Tampa Bay

Treasure Island Kite Festival & Sport Kite Competition<br style="background-color: rgb(238, 243, 248);">January 19-20 2013

#2 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hey Rev'ers
Went to setup my kite this weekend, and one of the LE rods was givin me some issues, so I pulled it out of my kite and found that the Furrel (think i spelled it wrong) had pulled loose from the Middle rod and was stuck in the End rod... :confused!: Like the glue or whatever just came loose... so I carefully put it back into the center rod, affixed my end caps and flew like a champ in light winds all day... But obviously I need a new set of rods....But I was wondering if this a common problem with rods??

There's been quite a lot of chat about this issue lately over on this thread http://www.revkites....?showtopic=1103 bottom line is that its fairly easy to fix and just one of those things that happens on some rods....

If you are gong to get another set of rods definitely go with race rods other then the price there is no downsize.... think weight of the 2 wrap with strength of the 3... I tend to think of them as a 2 with that extra safety margin as a relative newbie!

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:33 PM

Make checking yr ferrulles a habit.JB put it to me when i questioned the problem some time ago now.That it should be part of your set up.Give um a good twist when new.Then check regular.

Dual line kites seem to come like that as standard,loose ferrules that is.

Sound advice

BRIAN...

#4 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

Hey Rev'ers

You don't need a new set of rods just because the ferrule is loose. All you need to do is re-glue the ferrule into the rod it was glued into originally. You can use super glue or even rubber cement. Then give your rods a check regularly in case it slips again.
If on only a small bit of the rod ferrule goes into another rod, it could split that other rod when flying. Basically speaking you need about 50% of the ferrule penetrating out for the other rod to go over.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#5 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:00 PM

Just a small dab of the gap-filling CA or super glue and carefully insert the ferrule halfway into the spar.
I put a drop or 2 on the end of the ferrule and gently twist it back and forth as I insert it into the spar, to spread the glue.

The thinner glue will work too, but it sets much faster.
The gap-filling CA glue takes longer to set, so you have a bit of time to get the ferrule positioned correctly.

That thin stuff is very runny and has an appetite for human skin. :devil:
I once had it run the whole length of a spar and glue the other end to my elbow. D'oh!

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:59 PM

Would it work if the ferrule is put into the rod then thin supoerglue run around the "join" would it then wick in enough to form a good bond I wonder??

#7 KYT ADIK

KYT ADIK

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

You don't need a new set of rods just because the ferrule is loose. All you need to do is re-glue the ferrule into the rod it was glued into originally. You can use super glue or even rubber cement. Then give your rods a check regularly in case it slips again.

Loose is an understatement!! But that's cool, it can be fixed without costing... I am sure I have both glues here somewhere...Thank You All!!

Steady Winds!! :blue-music:

Starna*

Kiting Tampa Bay

Treasure Island Kite Festival & Sport Kite Competition<br style="background-color: rgb(238, 243, 248);">January 19-20 2013

#8 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:10 PM

This is very common.

Tip:

I put masking tape around the farrell with the edge of the tape at the half-way point. Run a bead of super glue down the farrell, then twist it into the spar.

The tape allows you to put the farrell into the spar quickly, as the super glue will set up very fast.
Without the tape it es very easy to push the farrell in too far. If you do that, you may not be able to pull it back out to the proper place.

I check our leading edge farrells about once a month. I nearly always find at least one that needs to be re-glued. I think the flexing of the spar over and over breaks the bond of the glue.
Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#9 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 06:38 PM

I think the flexing of the spar over and over breaks the bond of the glue.

Jim you hit the nail on the head on that one, Most of the time you can take a new LE and twist the ferrule right out when its new.

I like to use 2 part epoxy and the masking tape trick for setting then remove the tape afterwords, that seems to hold them indefinitely as the epoxy is also somewhat flexible.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#10 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,337 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 03:09 AM

When the wrapped spars are formed/manufactured
there's a "release application" applied before production, so the tube will let go of the mandrel it was formed around. I'd recommend you clean out the inside of the tube with a tiny stiff nylon or brass brush first. THEN use the five minute 2 part epoxy. If you take this step to remove the release application, the ferrules will never let go. Epoxy is a flexible adhesive also, it absorbs shocks much better,.... the crazy glue (in all it's forms!) will always let go with a sudden impact along a parallel path every time.

Don't use the gap fill or CA, go to the extra trouble and do it right the first time, why fight a problem on the field!

PS: I also use a tape wrap measuring method to find the center of the ferrules, but I use vinyl electrical tape or blue painter's tape. It releases very well, even if coated with a layer of epoxy. Oh, I almost forgot,... I prefer a 4" internal solid-carbon ferrule too, so the stick can take a bigger bending & beating.

#11 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

Here's a simple trick if you find out that your ferrule somehow got pushed all the way inside of your center rod. Just match the ends of the center and outside rod and tape them together with some clear tape so they are perfectly aligned. Then gently tap the end of the outside rod on the ground and the shock will slide the ferrule back out of the center rod so you can re glue it back in place. Ya kinda have to be careful not to tap it to far or the ferrule will slide all the way into the end rod. But if that happens then you can fish something down the opposite end and push the ferrule back out (coat hanger or small carbon rod). Follow the above methods for gluing and your set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users