• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alnegri

alnegri
  • Forum Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:36 AM

Hi.
I just received the B vented; I owne a Rev 1.5 SUL, too.
So now I have 2,3,4 wraps.
On the dvd Barresi tells I can mix the rods; ex: 4 center, 3 tips, 2 vertical, and other mixing.
The question is: when put more strenght on the LE (center and/or tip) and/or when on the vertical rods?
Is there a general concept I can consider, to make my first experiments?

Thanks.

Alberto

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:05 AM

Personally, I rarely mix rods. I just stick with one set, but I do occasionally change the down spars.

Mixing rods is more for varying wind conditions. Remember witch rods undergo the most stress. The center LE spar experiences the most, then the other LE rods, then the down spars.

Using this, you can set up the kite to where it will fly well in lower winds, yet also be able to fly without too much stress in heavier winds.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,936 posts

Posted 05 May 2008 - 12:55 PM

Sorry for the delayed reply Alberto, I'm still in Japan and won't be back in the states until 5/12.

As for the additional leading edge, it's safe to assume that if you're considering doing this, you've already put in the strongest frame that comes with the kite (both LE and verticals), then the 2nd strongest LE spars are added to those... This is the basic and most practical way to do this.

"Hybrid framing" with medium strength tips, strong center, light verticals, this is really a concept more for play and experimentation than anything else, and generally when wind is VERY inconsistant... Just experiment carefully, and thoughtfully... Revs are quite personal, you'll find your own preferences I'm sure. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 alnegri

alnegri
  • Forum Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2008 - 05:57 AM

Now I understand!!

Thanks all.

Alberto

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users