Snarled Lines 2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Ridethewind111

Ridethewind111
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:33 AM

I'm relatively new to the Rev and looking for some advice. I just got my second set of strings (originals got so tangled, frustration led me to throw them out and buy new one's). :kid_cussing: However, when unraveling the new set, they got twisted but it flew fine: right handle controlled right, left with left. I tried unravel by getting the Rev into the air and helipoter turn left or right to untwist (much like I do with my dual string, spin left or right to untwist), however, they still remain twisted...not sure why this is. Again, flew OK though. Any help would be greatly appreciated! FWIW, I'm going to the 2 winder system once I get these strings unraveled.

#2 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:54 AM

I'm relatively new to the Rev and looking for some advice. I just got my second set of strings (originals got so tangled, frustration led me to throw them out and buy new one's). :kid_cussing:
I'm going to the 2 winder system once I get these strings unraveled.

Hello and welcome :)

you threw your lines away ?! *ouch*

I use 2 winders and get no tangles or twists any more.
I unwrap it from the winder with one hand while I use my other hand to separate the 2 lines hence no need to twirl the twists out (by rotating the handles) anymore.

It is quick but yes you have to walk up and down one more time but its worth the trip.

happy flying

(Edited: 17th July 2008: I no longer use 2 winders, but 1 winder with 2 lines wrapped first then the second set of lines wrapped on top)
See my other mesg. to see how it's done. (with relatively few twists as well).
1 of the 47.

#3 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 06:59 AM

You should find the lines have different coloured sleeves on the ends. Two line will probably have red markings on the sleeves, two black (or something similar). Before you fly next time, lay them out on the ground and slowly work down the line unravelling them all so you end up with 4 separate lines. A pain I know, but it really does help when you are new to have as few twists as possible (preferably none). Then attach the lines to your kite, one coloured pair to the bottom, one to the top. I always do Black to the Bottom (note the B's) and red then ends up as the top lines. Attach the other ends to your handles and away you go!

When you come to finish flying I suggest (very very strongly) you larks head the two left lines together (ie the left black and the left red) at both the kite and handle end. Do similarly to the other two lines. Then wind them onto your winders. If you are using two winders fine - its not a sin. But it also isn't necessary if you simply larks head everything as described. Either way when you come to fly again, unwind everything to the kite, leaving the handle ends attached to a stake still knotted (You do have a stake don't you!). Separate the pairs if you use one winder and spread them full arms width and pull and shake. This will send any remaining twists down to the stake end. if you are using two winders separate each pair in turn, spread, shake then attach to the kite. Go to the handle end, take a good look at the lines to see what needs un-twisting (there should be very few twists to be honest). Sort the lines out and attach to the handles. Don't untie the handle end larks heads until you are sure you have everything sorted - that way you know for sure what ties where on the handles.

As you called this thread snarled lines 2 I guess you have seen the other thread about storing lines. If not you should read it. John Mitchell's photo description of how to wind your threads is pretty good as a starter.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#4 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:09 AM

I always do Black to the Bottom (note the B's) and red then ends up as the top lines.

I guess it's whatever you are comfotable with.
main thing is to stick to the same method everytime: we attach the double markings at the bottom and single on the tops ie red on left while black is on the right handle.

FYI: groz tried winding the lines on the handles as recommended on this forum - we've never seen such a tangled mess of lines :(
never again.
1 of the 47.

#5 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

I guess it's whatever you are comfotable with.
main thing is to stick to the same method everytime:

That has to be right. There is no one "right" way, just the one that works for you and you use every time.

(Although obviously my way is more right than anyone elses! ;) )
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#6 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:14 AM

That has to be right. There is no one "right" way, just the one that works for you and you use every time.
(Although obviously my way is more right than anyone elses! ;) )

But of course (age before beauty ;) )
1 of the 47.

#7 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

But of course (age before beauty ;) )

Ouch ... and another whipping for Sailor!

#8 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 07:48 AM

Ouch ... and another whipping for Sailor!

I've already apologised to Sailor for my cheeky behaviour (not sure why) :)

{it was a joke}

Besides, not much of a ribbing is it when sailor thinks he is the most beautiful thing in the universe :kid_frustrated:

Sailor has given me nothing but good advice and help (what went wrong?)

PS dare I ask what the other whipping was about?
1 of the 47.

#9 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

I am the Queen of snarled lines!!

I have thrown away set of lines (don't tell Steve lol)

I was taught to wind them up on my handles. I will NEVER do that again. I would spend more of my time on the beach untangling lines then flying!!!!

This is how I put them away and since I have adopted this way I have not had a single tangle.

The lines on the left side I put them on the winder going over the winder, the right side I put on the same winder going in a figure 8.

This works for me... Have my 120' lines set up this way and have been able to unwind and rewind without a problem... Hope this helps.

Sherri
Steve & Sherri

#10 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:15 PM

I agree age before beauty. But who replied first. Not me :)
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#11 Ridethewind111

Ridethewind111
  • Forum Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:43 PM

Before you fly next time, lay them out on the ground and slowly work down the line unravelling them all so you end up with 4 separate lines.

Thanks for all the suggestions

#12 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

The trick to lines is like Joe says on the video hook them to the handles and then the kite you will be surprised how they seem to fall apart after they are layed out.

More knots happen with people trying to untangle way too soon as they are unwinding, they look a mess when your unwinding but a little pull and shake after they are layed out and they usually fall loose with just a few spins of the handle on each side to get them sorted.

Like I tell my 2 boys take an extra few minutes wrapping them firmly and slowly and it will save you many minutes untangling next time you fly.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:47 PM

I'm relatively new to the Rev and looking for some advice. I just got my second set of strings (originals got so tangled, frustration led me to throw them out and buy new one's). :kid_cussing: However, when unraveling the new set, they got twisted but it flew fine: right handle controlled right, left with left. I tried unravel by getting the Rev into the air and helipoter turn left or right to untwist (much like I do with my dual string, spin left or right to untwist), however, they still remain twisted...not sure why this is. Again, flew OK though. Any help would be greatly appreciated! FWIW, I'm going to the 2 winder system once I get these strings unraveled.

Please read carefully through http://www.revkites....?showtopic=1038
There you will find what is probably the best explanations on handling quad lines that exist anywhere, along with step by step pictures.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users