AldenMiler

Johhny B Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:27 AM

Don't give John any ideas...
:sign_kitelife:

Yeah, he's probably already thinking of doing a video with the IQUAD thong and the hat! :blue-cool:

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#22 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, he's probably already thinking of doing a video with the IQUAD thong and the hat! :blue-cool:

-Alden

Steady Alden some of us are eating dinner over here!

#23 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:22 AM

Some things I leave to professionals... Knock 'em dead antman!

*envision the pink panther theme, thong and hat*

*dead ant - dead ant - dead ant*

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#24 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

first the beating .. now people want to squash the ant :blue-confused: what did i do to desirve this.. im just a lonely kiteflier trying to get by ...however if its a thong video you want .. john b is the man for it
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#25 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:40 AM

In looking through some of the older posts I thought this one would be a good one to get going again. Should be a good one for those learning to fly in light wind and/or increase control in certain areas as sail pressure and footwork directly relate to light wind flying and to a smaller degree, how the kite fly's overall.

Sail pressure starts in your set up of the kite. It's common to increase the angle of attack of the sail in light wind. (pulling the LE toward you) The gain is more lift. The down side is that the greater the AoA the less control you'll have. Turning takes bigger inputs as will the brakes. The sail won't load properly as the wind sheets off the sail at too great a rate. Commonly refered to as too much forward. See below.

A set of 13" B Series handles and the stock leaders IMO lessen the learning curve. Great investment if you don't have the 13" handles already. With the stock leaders it's hard to end up with too much forward when your first learning light wind technique.

For maximum forward and brake, how your hands are positioned play a major role. Using both hands make hang loose signs. Now turn your palms down flat. You should be looking at the back of your hands. That hand position allows you to give maximum forward and brake inputs. Your wrists will allow you to give bigger thumbs back or forward than strait up and down or the prefered 45 degree angle of the handles. If you can do this you'll find that you normally fly with too much forward. You can let the top lines out. (more Brake)
Your closer to flying with a loaded sail and getting the most out of your Rev.

At any rate.....

With the stock 13" handles and leaders, set your top lines at the end knot (farthest from your hands) and the bottom lines on the knot closest to your hands. Don't worry, with the handles horizontal or your palms down it'll fly.

Before you launch remember this. YOU have to help the kite fly. So to start work on this. (this was shown to all of us at the Team Clinic put on by iQuad at the Hinge.)

Palms down, arms all the way out leaning slightly forward on your front foot, give your takeoff input as you stand up strait. Thumbs all the way back walk backwards (no pumping if you can help it) till your kite gets to the top of the window. 180 strait down, full thumbs forward and walk forward with the kite. Adjust your walking speed as you see fit. At the bottom just before you would land, 180, give a light pump and walk backwards as your kite climbs to the top and repeat a couple of times.

If this post has been helpful to you get back to the post with what your experiencing and we'll help. There will be further posts about light wind flying and technique.

Dean :)

#26 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:14 PM

As I was flying today, I was noticing how I get my whole body involved when I'm in the zone. Sometimes it isn't enough to have my arms, hands, and fingers to keep tension on the sail. Sometimes I'm keeping such perfect tension that I can't bother my upper appendages with the task, so I must throw in a quick head fake. Or I move my whole torso. Sometimes it's a leg kick backwards, sometimes forwards. Often, a good shoulder shrug will provide just enough of a pull.
Some folks today asked me if I was dancing with the kite on purpose. I must admit that I'm not aware of my movements in a way that I believe dancing requires. But I thanked them as its nice to be thought of as graceful and I don't consider myself much of a dancer. For a split second, it makes me consider flying a routine, and matching my movements to the kite.... On purpose....

As I watch the video at the beginning of this topic, sometimes I can't help but wonder: Is JB dancing during this part or just keeping sail pressure?
(The answer, I'm sure, is "yes")

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#27 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,857 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

As I was flying today, I was noticing how I get my whole body involved when I'm in the zone.
<snip>
As I watch the video at the beginning of this topic, sometimes I can't help but wonder: Is JB dancing during this part or just keeping sail pressure?
(The answer, I'm sure, is "yes")

Without reading back up the thread I would say 'yes' to making sure the sail is kept in an optimal position.

'In the zone' everything about the position of the kite is important.

Felix

#28 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

Dave, indeed, the answer to both - is yes. :)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users