• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 alnegri

alnegri
  • Forum Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:45 AM

Hello.
What are the differences (flying features) between the Rev 1.5 SUL and the Barresi?
And from the Barresi and the Shockwave?
Thanks in advance.

Alberto

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:13 AM

Hello.
What are the differences (flying features) between the Rev 1.5 SUL and the Barresi?
And from the Barresi and the Shockwave?
Thanks in advance.

Alberto

The REV 1.5 SUL(with the lighter sail only) and John Barresi series have very close flying characteristics. The JB sail design allows it to bellow a tiny be more which is noticeable to some experienced pilots.
The main advantage of the JB is the fact that it does come with two sets of rods being the 2 and 3 wraps. It also comes with handles that have pigtails pre-installed.
REV 1.5 SUL, comes with a set of 2 wrap rods only and normal handles with no pigtails.
The JB also has a weight set, useful for tricks only and I think it had a better video.
If you have any idea of adding the 3-wrap rods later, don't waste the money on the 1.5 SUL, but buy the JB now. It is less expensive as a package with a bit better sail design.

As for comparing the Shockwave to the JB, I see no comparison. They are two different animals. The only relation to each other is that they have 4-lines, a flat sail and from the same manufacturer.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:22 AM

I compared an SUL with 2 Wraps and a B-Series with Race Rods recently.
The SUL was a tad less work at the very bottom end of the wind range, but it is not as durable and its very light Spectra bridle has a nasty habit of tangling up and hooking on various snag points on the kite.
The SUL sail & bridle weighs about 105 grams, where the B-Series sail & bridle weigh about 125 grams.
I kept the B-Series and found a new home for the SUL.

#4 alnegri

alnegri
  • Forum Member
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:12 AM

Thanks a lot!!!

#5 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Johhny B Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:25 AM

Thanks for the weight comparisons!

I switched my B Series over to my race rods yesterday (Scarlette now has some three wraps in her). There was a gentle but steady breeze and I was able to fly nicely for about a half hour with this set up.

I'm sure it's out there somewhere but I'd like to see a weight comparison of the three wrap, two wrap, and race rods.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#6 ramakristan

ramakristan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

I actually ordered an SUL but after a friend of mine who has a B-Series asked me to try it, immediately I called my supplier to cancel my SUL and changed to a B-series, luckily he does not mind though ordered, have never been happier with the 2 and 3 wrap rods.
Value for money, an SUL can fly in light wind when compared to the B-series, the later can be flew in 3 winds, low, medium and strong. Go for the Barresi.
Comparing the B-series with the Shockwave, both are of different breed of animals, one can be very gentle as a kitten and the later can be savage in term of speed and power.
cheers

#7 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:07 AM

if you are willing to wait,
the factory "might" hook you up with an SUL equipped leading edge sleeve
on a standard B-Series kite
with a Race Frame-set.

mine is Mango colored

and hopefully I'll receive delivery within the next couple of days!

#8 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:27 AM

Remember, most of your favorite retailers can place custom orders for you as well. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#9 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:19 AM

Dave B and myself flew our vented Bs down to around 5mph yesterday or Dave did with race rods in his.I swopped at around 7mph as i had four wrap in mine.
.I was bursting to try my new sul with race rods in,very nice to.,
Just shows how very versatile the race rods are and the numerous options they give us

ie,vented and streight on to sul,,waw,,in winds well under 10mph

Dave B hadnt got his sul and the wind was at next to zero later on.He flew his KP7 ltd edition with race rods[sle spec i soppose] in and we compared it to my sul.Ther is a definate noticeable diffrence in drive,especially at 1mph winds,but with a little work he managed to keep up.So did i when we swopped kites.

Great kites,great company and a great days flying

BRIAN...

#10 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:35 AM

Had to revive this thread after a 3 hour flying session yesterday afternoon.

Set up the wind meter for about a half an hour winds were from 0.5 gusting to a whopping 1.4 mph and the ocean was like glass, Now this was ultra clean breeze if you wanna call it that off the ocean which probably made the world of difference.

Set up my standard B-series with race rods 17" handles 50'x90# line handle setting was direct to the bottom rings no pigtails and 3 knots in on the top.

Also I set up my SUL same set up also with race rods, Flew the SUL first for about a half hour as expected it flew no problem (I have to say I understand light wind pretty well) swooped around did some floats all was good as usual.

Then I swapped over to the B for some reason I don't know if I have a freak or its just the kite design but I swear this kite can only be described and bridling a feather. Clock turns, dead stop hovers in any position, reverse from ground to top of the window, reverse across the window, ultra slow motion flat glides from one side of the window to the other, slides, pivot turns, whatever I could throw at this thing it did including super flat and slow motion axles. This thing was rock solid like it was in 5-7 mph winds.

If ever there was a day I wish I had someone video taping me it was today, This kite totally blows my mind in light wind at what its capable of which is really the only reason I bought it. Personally I don't really like this kite once it gets over 8 or so mph but thats just me.

Don't underestimate this kite at all, Yes the handle settings will be a little different then a SUL the 2 bridles do vary and I also have a very relaxed hand placement which probably helps. I think allot of people may have it in their mind that because a kite is an SUL it will fly better and from that mindset you probably will fly it better because of it.

Give the B a try as I said the bridles are different between the 2 but once you dial in to light flying on a B you will be amazed at how truly wonderful this kite is, Another thing that may help is don't think about how to control it I try to feel it, I'm convinced most peoples problems with flying these things is that they are thinking way too much about what does what. I'm sure anyone with experience will tell you and agree that 97% of flying once you get used to it is all by feel to the point it becomes an extension of you.

OK enough of my rant, after years of flying I still get those days where these things just kick the crap out me with WOW!

Happy Flying, "Think Less Fly More" (quoting Amy's new shirt) http://www.cafepress...apers.321721542 :sign_kitelife:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#11 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:54 AM

On a related note, I"m thinking of ordering an extra set of 1.5SUL bridle to fit into my STD B-Series to give it the extra low wind boost. I read somewhere that the difference between a normal B-Series bridle and the SUL bridle is about 10 - 15grams, which can make a difference in light wind.

Question is, is the 1.5SUL bridle found on most retailer's website the same as a B-Series bridle? If I fit this 1.5SUL bridle into my B-Series STD would it affect the kite in anyway?

Also to digress a bit..I flew a local flyer's slightly modded 1.5 SUL over the weekend. Its a stock 1.5SUL sail and bridle but the leading edges were SkyShark P90s and the tips were 2PTs. Nary a breeze out there when I was struggling to put my B-Series with race rods in the air and his SUL is flying without any problem. Feels almost like flying an indoor kite outdoors. Weight savings from his setup compared to all race rods is typically about another 20grams.

Thanks
Darryl

#12 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:39 AM

imagine the two models combined!

I have one of each model (Standard B-Series, a stock SUL and the SUL B-Series is the finest product REV has ever released) It has the lighter weight of the SUL and the increased dynamic performance of the the B-kites in the same package.

EFFORTLESS and certainly worth an upgraded price if you had to pay for it.

#13 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 875 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:48 AM

On a related note, I"m thinking of ordering an extra set of 1.5SUL bridle to fit into my STD B-Series to give it the extra low wind boost. I read somewhere that the difference between a normal B-Series bridle and the SUL bridle is about 10 - 15grams, which can make a difference in light wind.

Question is, is the 1.5SUL bridle found on most retailer's website the same as a B-Series bridle? If I fit this 1.5SUL bridle into my B-Series STD would it affect the kite in anyway?

Also to digress a bit..I flew a local flyer's slightly modded 1.5 SUL over the weekend. Its a stock 1.5SUL sail and bridle but the leading edges were SkyShark P90s and the tips were 2PTs. Nary a breeze out there when I was struggling to put my B-Series with race rods in the air and his SUL is flying without any problem. Feels almost like flying an indoor kite outdoors. Weight savings from his setup compared to all race rods is typically about another 20grams.

Thanks
Darryl

The 1.5 SUL bridle is not the same as the B-Series bridle. Main difference is that the 1.5 SUL bridle is a lighter spectra bridle. The B-Series bridle is the same bridle line material that can be found in other Rev kites. Bridle line can vary in color from time to time but the spectra SUL bridle is always white.

Hope that helps.

#14 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:50 AM

imagine the two models combined!

I have one of each model (Standard B-Series, a stock SUL and the SUL B-Series is the finest product REV has ever released) It has the lighter weight of the SUL and the increased dynamic performance of the the B-kites in the same package.

EFFORTLESS and certainly worth an upgraded price if you had to pay for it.

Thats interesting, now is it the light weight sail material as well or are we just talking LE and bridle replacements ?
Jim,

Posted Image

#15 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:53 AM

same sail material

the only difference on mine is the leading edge sleeve,.... (I use a different bridle on all my Revs). The sleeve doesn't need to 3.9 ounce dacron! (standard REV issue) unless you're just starting out learning or continuously dragging the leading edge inverted across the sand.

The SUL sleeve is 1.5 ounce nylon

All the B-series kites are made out of polyester (the Masterpiece kites are all made of nylon, to date anyway), that nets a tighter and more durable sail that will not absorb water weight in tough conditions.

#16 lasapcheong

lasapcheong

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:50 PM

The 1.5 SUL bridle is not the same as the B-Series bridle. Main difference is that the 1.5 SUL bridle is a lighter spectra bridle. The B-Series bridle is the same bridle line material that can be found in other Rev kites. Bridle line can vary in color from time to time but the spectra SUL bridle is always white.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Kent. I actually do know that. Sorry for not making my question clearer..What I'm specifically asking is that, are the bridle dimensions the same? B-Series STD bridle vs 1.5 SUL bridle... I"m asking that because there is a slight difference between the 1.5 sail vs the B-Series sail

-Darryl

#17 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:27 PM

same sail material

the only difference on mine is the leading edge sleeve,.... (I use a different bridle on all my Revs). The sleeve doesn't need to 3.9 ounce dacron! (standard REV issue) unless you're just starting out learning or continuously dragging the leading edge inverted across the sand.

The SUL sleeve is 1.5 ounce nylon

All the B-series kites are made out of polyester (the Masterpiece kites are all made of nylon, to date anyway), that nets a tighter and more durable sail that will not absorb water weight in tough conditions.

I think this might be an ideal setup for the mid vent I plan on ordering over the winter, I probably won't fly it much over 12 mph so the SUL B-Mid vent Pro series ooooooo I like the sound of that already.

What would be really cool is if I could fly that down to pretty much no wind situation, then I would be totally ruined for sure :kid_smartass:
Jim,

Posted Image

#18 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,291 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:03 AM

I'd recommend every inland flier own a B-Series 1.5 SUL with a Race Frame.
(Keep the standard bridle though, that's no place to sacrifice strength just to save a pinch of weight!)

You can always "frame lighter" but be careful, dedicated indoor kite tubes don't last very long outdoors. The trick is to balance durability against a lower wind range. If you cut-down a set of REV indoor rods and flew it carefully, it would be all fine and grand. A no-wind master in the making. But the other side of that coin is even a minor wind gust will surely end your afternoon of fun plus costing you some coin besides!

I have a 1.5 knock-off framed in Avia Breeze rods with point 125 down-spars. The sail is made almost entirely of Orcon. It becomes a tangled mess outside unless it is a forCERTAIN dead calm.

You could replace the down-spars on your REV with a tapered tube, like 3P or even a 2P but a kite with no mass isn't as much fun as you think it should be. You want some glide, some free time to relax, a little float goes a long ways.

Any comparison done fairly has just one variable, the best ones have a majority approval group opinion as to it's superiority.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users