172 replies to this topic

#161 mbro

mbro

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

I was out today, and I'm still trying to get a cartwheel down:kid_brooding: ,I think I've got the rotation part down, but I can't figure out where or what position my hands should be in, and the movement to get the kite to move across the window. Any suggestions would be great.
Michael
"But now, we are free. We are up; we are off..."

#162 LS Kite Stakes

LS Kite Stakes

Make it Custom!

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 961 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

I know this will not help mucxh, but I really do not think about what my hands are doing. My attention is on the kite, and I envision in my head what I want to see it do. I just keep trying till it starts to look like what I see in my minds eye..
LS Custom Kite Accessories

Maker of the Original Marble Kite Stake
And Revolution Snagless Pro Handles
http://www.Kitestakes.com

Posted Image

#163 ahofer

ahofer

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:06 AM

Remember the guy in Mystery Men who can be invisible, but 'only when nobody's looking'? See, I can do a perfect cartwheel (not to mention dead-flat axels in series), but....
When I was young, my bologna had a first name. Now my bodywash has an "Objective".

#164 HedgeWarden

HedgeWarden

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

My experience on hand positions is that if I hold my hands horizontal parallel (= top to right), then there is an awkward point when they need to be switched (top to left =), which causes loss of precision.

So, I am practicing the following hand positions - (| |), (/ |), (| \), and especially (/ \). Swings from one position to the other have little effect on the kite.
-Howard
No, this is my first childhood!

#165 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Check my cartwheel here (between 0.25 and 0.40)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Uu7WnIbT_U"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=8Uu7WnIbT_U[/url]

Trying to make a split-screen video next time.

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#166 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

My experience on hand positions is that if I hold my hands horizontal parallel (= top to right), then there is an awkward point when they need to be switched (top to left =), which causes loss of precision.

So, I am practicing the following hand positions - (| |), (/ |), (| \), and especially (/ \). Swings from one position to the other have little effect on the kite.

I would advocate horizontal handles with thumbs to the middle. Long arm pulls can then generate the rotation and small adjustments can roll the rotations. <grins>

Felix

#167 SkyPuppet

SkyPuppet

Reveller

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:21 PM

Nice vid Madquad. That's a mean Cartwheel you're turning there! I like the song choice. Never heard that mix before.

Hand position transition (switching) is where I was when I started chiming in on this topic...... As your hands transition, you might need to give slack to the lines (depending on flying conditions). If traveling right - from the upright position, you will be giving slack with your right hand as the Rev rotates the LE vertical, and from the inverted position, you will be giving slack with your left hand as the Rev LE rotates vertical.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Have Rev, Will Travel

My YouTube Channel - Thanks for watching smile.png

#168 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

I would advocate horizontal handles with thumbs to the middle. Long arm pulls can then generate the rotation and small adjustments can roll the rotations. <grins>

Felix

Felix - this might help me unlock this maneuver!! Thanks for the tip!! Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#169 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

Felix - this might help me unlock this maneuver!! Thanks for the tip!! Posted Image

I really hope that it helps. Please let us know how you get on...

Felix

#170 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Just thinking it through makes some sense in my mind!! Hope the weather gets it right and I can try it out this weekend!! If not then, I'll try at the Rev clinic in a couple of weeks! I love the look of it and want to add it to my moves!! Gotta come sooner or later........ RIGHT??Posted Image

wayne from portland
You have 2 choices - live on or die!! I ain't the dying type!!!  Also known as "portland flyer" on some forums!

7346824786_f12fcda7bd_s.jpg7770032034_ebc85fc33e_s.jpg7776002900_89d33b664b_s.jpgLogoupdate.png

AKA member

#171 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

Just thinking it through makes some sense in my mind!! Hope the weather gets it right and I can try it out this weekend!! If not then, I'll try at the Rev clinic in a couple of weeks! I love the look of it and want to add it to my moves!! Gotta come sooner or later........ RIGHT??Posted Image

I can feel the move in my arms, literally...

The long pull powers the rotation, the next pull the next half. The switch from front to back holds the kite in the sky. What more could one need apart from a slight adjustment to send it rolling from one side to the other or in diagonal lines/whatever?

Felix

#172 stroke survivor

stroke survivor

Hard Core Kite Flier

• Forum Member
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:04 AM

After my stroke, things can get a bit jumbled up in my head!! This sounds like the easiest way to do this!! No having to re-position the hands as you go!! Weather is looking good for Sunday, I'll be trying it then!! THANKS!! Posted Image

wayne from portland

AKA member

#173 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

After my stroke, things can get a bit jumbled up in my head!! This sounds like the easiest way to do this!! No having to re-position the hands as you go!! Weather is looking good for Sunday, I'll be trying it then!! THANKS!! Posted Image

I'll look forward to hearing how you get on. The thinking bit is a bit jumbled for me as well but in a sense it is like flying the kite as two attached single line kites and making one accelerate around the other and then... <grins>

Felix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users