Advertising on a kite

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gaines

gaines
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

I've been thinking about getting a 4-8 blast and thought it would be a perfect billboard to advertise our local kite club. Originally, I thought I might be able to get the club name printed on the kite the same way they put the Revolution logo on it, but now I understand that all custom work is applique and there's no way I could afford to have something like that done by a pro.

Has anyone ever done something like this? Is there a technique I could use to print on a kite without adding a lot of weight or compromising the strength? I've seen a lot of videos of competitions on youtube and google video, but haven't noticed anyone printing sponsor logos on their kites so I'm afraid it's not very doable.

Thanks,
Gaines

#2 kittkites

kittkites
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

I've put printed graphics and cut vinyl on ripstop adn mylar before. It doesn't add to much weight. It sticks really well to mylar. I've also cut Insignia Tape on my plotter and applied it to kites before. Hope this helps.
Scarborough Beach
GANSETT, RI
"Narragansett,RI"

http://www.myprecisiongraphics.com
www.kitesinri.com

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

I've been thinking about getting a 4-8 blast and thought it would be a perfect billboard to advertise our local kite club. Originally, I thought I might be able to get the club name printed on the kite the same way they put the Revolution logo on it, but now I understand that all custom work is applique and there's no way I could afford to have something like that done by a pro.

Has anyone ever done something like this? Is there a technique I could use to print on a kite without adding a lot of weight or compromising the strength? I've seen a lot of videos of competitions on youtube and google video, but haven't noticed anyone printing sponsor logos on their kites so I'm afraid it's not very doable.

Thanks,
Gaines

I have done it. I had an all white REV I that I would put advertising stickers on. I also used a DECA 6, all white, doing the same. The stickers I had used would hold a few hours, but them peel or fly off. It was usually only an afternoon thing and that was it.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#4 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:58 PM

Gaines,
what does your logo look like?

If you can do the logo in black & white or in just a couple colors, try insignia cloth. It's used on sailboat sails. It has a strong adhesive and should work well:
http://www.kitebuild...404ae14dac2dc4d
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#5 Highflyer

Highflyer
  • Forum Member
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

Insigna tape works great. A couple of our local flyers have fully customized their Rev's with it and it works really well. They have cut it into all shapes and sizes and it holds tight. Just make sure you work out all of the air bubbles by rubbing them out before you take it out to fly and it will not come off.

It works great! Right Fort Flyer!

Sue
Highflyers

#6 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 05:36 PM

Insignia Tape is by far the best choice and now that they have it in cloth form I'm sorry to say i'm doomed.

Look on my avitar for a small sample of what you can do with it.

or this,

Attached Thumbnails

• 06_05_07_1514.jpg
  • 05_15_06_2105.jpg
  • 05_16_06_2312.jpg
  • 05_09_06_2223.jpg

Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#7 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:05 PM

Beautiful designs!
What's your technique? Scissors? Razor? Plotter/cutter?
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#8 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:24 PM

Exacto-knife and really good fiskar scissors
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#9 gaines

gaines
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:43 AM

Insignia Tape is by far the best choice and now that they have it in cloth form I'm sorry to say i'm doomed.

Look on my avitar for a small sample of what you can do with it.

or this,

Love your work. Where do you buy your insignia tape?

#10 kittkites

kittkites
  • Forum Member
  • 49 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:12 AM

Here is a pic of printed graphics on a rev. This material could be a temporary fix or a semi permanent fix. It's easy to remove and it doesn't leave glue behind.
DSC06056.JPG
Scarborough Beach
GANSETT, RI
"Narragansett,RI"

http://www.myprecisiongraphics.com
www.kitesinri.com

#11 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:29 AM

Love your work. Where do you buy your insignia tape?

If you live near a sailmaker, they might sell you some. It comes in several colours besides black on fairly wide sheets.

Goodwinds Kites sells it in 3" wide rolls too.

#12 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:06 AM

There is a great article in this months 'The Kiteflier' - magazine for UK based Kite Society of Great Britain - about Roy from Kites Up (also in the UK www.kitesup.co.uk) and his big expensive printer - it's designed for printing on fabrics such as ripstop and does it by vaporising the ink through the fabric. This gives a long lasting, very high contrast print at a very tight dot pitch. Cost of the printer? A snip at 20,000 UK pounds! Probably overkill for what you want to do here, but an interesting read none the less if you get the chance. Also if you are ever in Southern England, it's always worth a pop in to see Roy and Hayley where they are always happy to talk about kites, and Roy always likes to show off his printer too!

All the best,
Groz

#13 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:06 AM

I was at roy's last weekend and you are right, he loves to show off his printer! He talked about it at length to me and even ran a test print to show me what it could do!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#14 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:41 AM

Silly question, but has anyone ever tried to screen print on a Rev??? A little old school, but why not?

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#15 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:51 AM

There is a great article in this months 'The Kiteflier' - magazine for UK based Kite Society of Great Britain - about Roy from Kites Up (also in the UK www.kitesup.co.uk) and his big expensive printer - it's designed for printing on fabrics such as ripstop and does it by vaporising the ink through the fabric. This gives a long lasting, very high contrast print at a very tight dot pitch. Cost of the printer? A snip at 20,000 UK pounds! Probably overkill for what you want to do here, but an interesting read none the less if you get the chance. Also if you are ever in Southern England, it's always worth a pop in to see Roy and Hayley where they are always happy to talk about kites, and Roy always likes to show off his printer too!

All the best,
Groz

I would think thats what Rev do/ or have done for them lol
GARY

Posted Image

#16 gaines

gaines
  • Forum Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:55 AM

Silly question, but has anyone ever tried to screen print on a Rev??? A little old school, but why not?

It should work, however screen printing requires a good bit of preparation and would probably only be done for something that would be mass produced.

I ordered some transfer tape and am working on negotiating a used power blast 4-8. Now I just need to make a model in photoshop of the kite and graphic. :kid_smartass:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users