40 replies to this topic

#1 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

In 1993 after a terribly windy trip to the island of Fano in Denmark, I started working out a vented version of the Revolution I. I had pictured the basic idea from a vented dual line kite that I saw, thus I was determined to create a REV I with reasonable venting. Where would it go? How much should there be? I also needed a color scheme that would fit. Hot yellow was IN at the time, so I chose hot yellow and black. Stripes seemed to be a good idea. Thus evolved what is believed to be the world's first vented Revolution type kite. I decided on three vents on each side. Initially it only had vents with out covers. However, I found that it would not fly too well in the low winds thus I added Velcro pads (and weight) all around each vent and set about sewing panels for each of the vents in order to experiment further on where the venting placement fit best and how much. It was in my third year of flying REVs at the time, and I was fairly good, but far from being a master at the time. Thus I did have some problem at the time analyzing where and how much venting would be best. Well these are photos of my three Revolution I vented s that I built followed by all the designs later released by Revolution.

Photos updated on 22 April 2008.

Number 1 - 10 August 1993 - First flown Internationally at the STACK EuroCup 1993 in Vienna Austria. It was a sensation on Rec.kites with a photo.
19930810_Number01.jpg

Number 2 - December 1994 - Probably flown by more beginners then any other REV. It was too forgiving and accurate.
19941200_Number02.jpg

Number 3 - August 1995 - Too late in the game. It was never really evaluated and laid in a corner all the time.
19950800_Number03.jpg

Number 4 - January 1996 - Sponsored by Revolution. I took a lot of 1st places in 1996 with this one. It may well be their best ever.
19960101_Number04.jpg

Number 5 - January 1996 - Nice in medium strong winds, but needs more venting for the very strong winds.
19960102_Number05.jpg

Number 6 - January 1997 - The second vented REV I from Revolution in a new panel lay out and the new logo
19970100_Number06.jpg

Number 7 - January 1998 - The first vented polyester sail from Revolution and it was an SLE. It also had the new logo.
Photo from steveb
19981000_Number07b.jpg

Number 8 - January 2000 or 01 or 02 - The 3rd REV 1.5 vented version retaining about or the same venting pattern but with a new 9 panel layout.
20020100_Number08.jpg

Number 9 - January 2004 - The 4th REV 1.5 vented version retaining about or the same venting pattern but with a new 11 panel layout.
20040200_Number09.jpg

Possibly the 2nd Vented REV II about 2004.
Photo from steveb
20040200_Number09b.jpg

Number 10 - January 2007 - The John Barresi series REV 1.5 with a change in the venting panels. The panels are wider at the top and narrower at the bottom.
20070100_Number10.jpg

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#2 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:19 AM

Hello John,

Thank you for the interesting bit of chronological history of the vented Revs :)

I've not flown many types of Revs but the vented is my preferred choice ;)
1 of the 47.

#3 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

In 1993 after a terribly windy trip to the island of Fano in Denmark, I started working out a vented version of the Revolution I. I had pictured the basic idea from a vented dual line kite that I saw, thus I was determined to create a REV I with reasonable venting. Where would it go? How much should there be? I also needed a color scheme that would fit. Hot yellow was IN at the time, so I chose hot yellow and black. Stripes seemed to be a good idea. Thus evolved what is believed to be the world's first vented Revolution type kite. I decided on three vents on each side. Initially it only had vents with out covers. However, I found that it would not fly too well in the low winds thus I added Velcro pads (and weight) all around each vent and set about sewing panels for each of the vents in order to experiment further on where the venting placement fit best and how much. It was in my third year of flying REVs at the time, and I was fairly good, but far from being a master at the time. Thus I did have some problem at the time analyzing where and how much venting would be best. Well these are photos of my three Revolution I vented s that I built followed by all the designs later released by Revolution.

snip ....

What I failed to put on this list are:
- vented REV I Sedgwick. I don't have a photo.
- various REV II vented. I a know of one, but there could be more

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#4 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:26 AM

What did you find out about the best placement John? And is there a significant difference caused by the shape in your view? I only ask because I am playing with something having a pair of large skewed square vents on each wing at the moment. Seemed to test fly quite well with 1 large vent, but still seemed to need more venting IMO, so have added a second smaller one close to centreline but have yet to test it.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:06 AM

What did you find out about the best placement John? And is there a significant difference caused by the shape in your view? I only ask because I am playing with something having a pair of large skewed square vents on each wing at the moment. Seemed to test fly quite well with 1 large vent, but still seemed to need more venting IMO, so have added a second smaller one close to centreline but have yet to test it.

That is really a difficult answer and to make it worse I now live in an area where a vented is rarely needed, thus I can't do much testing anymore.
Of all the vented REVs I flew, No. 2 was the most precise with the matching winds.
The No. 4 was also quite good, but precision fell off at the higher winds where No. 2 flew quite precisely.
My No. 9 was never very good, which I think had a lot to do with the mylar in the sail.
I haven't flown a JB vented, so I can't comment there or make any comparisons.
Material is also a big factor. My No.2 was made from Icarex P-38 polyester, which is no longer made. It is a bit heavier then Icarex P-31 polyester. I duplicated No. 2 with Carrington Nylon. It's precision really sucked, particularly at the side of the wind window in strong winds. I think the sail was bellowing too much thus making curves or spins very rough instead of smooth like No. 2. This is telling me that the outer edge material either needs to be a bit more stiffer which the P-38 had or more vented. A bellowing at this point could cause erratic movement.

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

Someone told me recently that Ron Despojado experimented with venting a REV I at a competition somewhere around 1994, maybe a year earlier or later. He punched, cut or burnt holes in the sail to soften the effects of the strong winds.
I'll have to ask him the next time I see him, probably next month.

#7 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:18 AM

Yes I agree about outer edge drop off. I got the bias wiffy on my prototype on one sail. And you could see it loosing its edge tension - leach tension in my parlance. The other thing is the frame of course.......... Would be nice to wind tunnel a few shapes, wouldn't it be?

I have come to the conclusion (with no evidence what so ever of course) that the leading edge stiffness and panel stiffness tend to set most of the flying character, and the venting smoothes out the bumps and dumps the pull. So for a big wind kite I am heading towards an SLE with REALLY big holes in it.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#8 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:55 AM

john . bring those here with my winds youll need them
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#9 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:11 PM

Number 7 - January 1998 - The first vented polyester sail from Revolution and it was an SLE. It also had the new logo.
(venting is simulated) Sorry, I don't have a good picture in my whole photo collection.

This isn't the best pic, but it shows my older Vented Rev 1.5 SLE of that design:
bald_eagle_vented_rev_2.jpg

various REV II vented. I a know of one, but there could be more

I've seen a few versions, Penny has a Vented Rev II with large triangular vents. Mine is a later version:
vented_revII_2.jpg

#10 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

This isn't the best pic, but it shows my older Vented Rev 1.5 SLE of that design:
bald_eagle_vented_rev_2.jpg

Precisely!
May I add the photo slightly cropped and rotated above?

I've seen a few versions, Penny has a Vented Rev II with large triangular vents. Mine is a later version:
vented_revII_2.jpg

Did it have the pattern of the REV I No. 6?

#11 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:24 PM

Precisely!
May I add the photo slightly cropped and rotated above?

Did it have the pattern of the REV I No. 6?

If you'd like to, but I can take clearer photos this afternoon and post them this evening.

Penny's Vented Rev II, if I remember correctly, resembled the venting pattern in #6. It's been a few years, but I saw her flying it at a very breezy WSIKF with no stress at all. It would make an ideal 'fun-sized' flier's Rev. :kid_smartass:

#12 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 07:51 PM

I must say that the weather out here has been mental. On Friday we got over 25 cm of snow and today was sunny T-shirt weather.

Here is my older Vented SLE (though I never use that frame these days):
vented_rev_br.jpg

Here is my Vented Rev II:
vented_RevII.jpg

#13 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 02:00 AM

I only ask because I am playing with something having a pair of large skewed square vents on each wing at the moment. Seemed to test fly quite well with 1 large vent, but still seemed to need more venting IMO, so have added a second smaller one close to centreline but have yet to test it.

More venting - you'll have nothing left soon! Would that make it a virtual Rev Sailor ;)

#14 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 07:51 AM

More venting - you'll have nothing left soon! Would that make it a virtual Rev Sailor ;)

Back around 1995-96 or so, I saw a totally vented REV II on the island of Fano in Denmark. It was the annual Fano Kite Flyers Meeting in June. The winds are almost always very strong there. It flew quite well.
In Italy, Spain and France there are a number of people flying 80-90% vented REVs, sometimes called G-strings.
When I finally find a picture of one of them, I will post it here.

#15 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

john . bring those here with my winds youll need them

Nope! I've had enough of those cold, nasty and high winds.
I flew vented REVs in those winds for over 12 years.
I'll stay here where it warm year around with mild winds.

#16 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:54 AM

Back around 1995-96 or so, I saw a totally vented REV II on the island of Fano in Denmark. It was the annual Fano Kite Flyers Meeting in June. The winds are almost always very strong there. It flew quite well.
In Italy, Spain and France there are a number of people flying 80-90% vented REVs, sometimes called G-strings.
When I finally find a picture of one of them, I will post it here.

I'll look forward to that John.

I loved the rev's that team FLIC were flying recently (see Choccy's galleries) - they were hyper vented too, and looked great. It just shows what a flexible design the Rev lends itself too - they fly well and look great!

All the Best,
Groz

#17 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

I am still searching for any original vented REV pattern designs that are missing from those in the first message.
This does not include color variations, just panel layout variations.
Please post them here.
I know there is a vented REV I Lee Sedgewick, but I don't have a picture.

#18 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:03 PM

I ran across this photo of a REV I vented in my archive:
VENTREV.JPG
It carries a date of 5 December 1996. I think it was sent to me from someone in Japan.
If you look closely, there is a vent between the yellow and blue material on both sides of the sail.
You can also see the sun shining through the vent on to the wall behind.
I don't know if this is original venting from Revolution or whether it was added afterwards.
I suspect it was added afterwards.
Does anyone know anything more about this REV?

#19 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

that looks more like a mid vent.. and dont forget the vented supersonic .. i flew mine today in 30 + and it handles great

100_0668.jpg
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#20 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,423 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

that looks more like a mid vent.. and dont forget the vented supersonic .. i flew mine today in 30 + and it handles great

Sure, it is a mid vent. The question was, is it done by Revolution or afterwards? I have never seen nor heard of another one.

I don't have any experience with the Speed series outside of having had a single Blast. Do you think you could work the history on the Speed series?

I am all ready putting the material together on the REV I non-vented, Rev II non-vented and the REV 1.5 non-vented individually as separate threads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users