• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 gplatt

gplatt
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

Hi,

Can anyone reassure me that WindPower Sports are a reliable mail order shop?

I've been watching all the Revolution demo videos and got fired up to buy a couple of kites. I'm in Marbella Spain and the local shops don't have anything, so I googled Revolution and found WindPower Sports in Las Vegas.

I placed an order for some kites and lines and got an automatic order response. Then I emailed them a few times since I want the vented B-series and the we site was unclear as to what I'd bought. That was three days ago and I haven't had any response.

Before I start worrying I thought I might post here to hear what sort of experiences others have had.

As a followup question: I decided to order two kites since I was placing an order which would need to be mailed to me. However I have never flown a 4-line kite, nor have I even seen one other than in the videos. I ordered a 1.5 SLE and the B-Series vented (I hope), but then started thinking that maybe I should have asked other peoples opinions as to what to get as the first two kites.

Reading this forum there are a few people who like something for some speed (the supersonic) as a second kite, however most people asking he question have flown for a bit before they order their second kite.

My flying experience is some limited kitesurfing and some low end dual line kites.

Many thanks
Guy

#2 AldenMiler

AldenMiler

Bazzer P Wannabe

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:24 AM

I haven't dealt with them but on your kite selection (if money is not an issue) I'd go for a standard and vented B series.

-Alden
"Don't go in there!" RC

#3 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

I've never bought a kite from Corey (owner of WindPowerSports), but he's been in the retail kite business for something like 30 years (or more) and I've called him friend for the last 18 of those... When I last spoke with him, he said he was working his way through a back log of orders and is seeking someone to come work in the shop with him in Las Vegas. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#4 kiteslinger

kiteslinger

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:42 PM

+1 for Corey Jenson

and he is the recent recipient America Kiting Association Edeiken award one of the AKA highest houners

#5 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

When I last spoke with him, he said he was working his way through a back log of orders and is seeking someone to come work in the shop with him in Las Vegas. ;)

Don't tempt me John, I'm looking to relocate and that sounds like an ideal job :kid_devlish:

Only thing is no ocean how could I ever live without the ocean :kid_brooding:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

Hi,

I've been watching all the Revolution demo videos and got fired up to buy a couple of kites. I'm in Marbella Spain and the local shops don't have anything, so I googled Revolution and found WindPower Sports in Las Vegas.

I placed an order for some kites and lines and got an automatic order response. Then I emailed them a few times since I want the vented B-series and the we site was unclear as to what I'd bought. That was three days ago and I haven't had any response.

Before I start worrying I thought I might post here to hear what sort of experiences others have had.

As a followup question: I decided to order two kites since I was placing an order which would need to be mailed to me. However I have never flown a 4-line kite, nor have I even seen one other than in the videos. I ordered a 1.5 SLE and the B-Series vented (I hope), but then started thinking that maybe I should have asked other peoples opinions as to what to get as the first two kites.

Reading this forum there are a few people who like something for some speed (the supersonic) as a second kite, however most people asking he question have flown for a bit before they order their second kite.

My flying experience is some limited kitesurfing and some low end dual line kites.

Many thanks
Guy

There is a Kite shop in Valencia that does sell REVs. The name is Cometalia. The web site is http://cometalia.com/.
Your contact persons there are: Jose Royo (Spanish only) and Domingo Pino (English and Spanish) They also have reasonable prices, unlike the primary dealer in Germany which over prices REVs dramatically.
There is also a Spanish kite forum in Spain at: http://foro.cometas.info/

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 gplatt

gplatt
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:51 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I will have to wait for WindPower Sports to work their way through the backlog. It's a shame that he didn't mention there was a delay on his website. Why offer express shipping if it you can't get to the order in a reasonable time (4 days now and no response).

I will call the Valencia shop. I don't see any B-series on their website but maybe they have one. I think I'll also follow the suggestion of a vented and standard b-series as that sounds like a good idea given the overwhelming support for the b-series model.

-- Guy

#8 Madquad

Madquad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

i Can recommend Kiteworld in the UK.

I ordered several things and received everything withing 4 days !

A lot of Rev stuff on stock and friendly people too !!

It's not the size of your Rev.. its how you use it.
Seven days without flying a Rev makes one weak.

http://www.air-4-ce.nl

batch-air4ce.jpg?w=230&h=230

#9 gplatt

gplatt
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:41 AM

I've never bought a kite from Corey (owner of WindPowerSports), but he's been in the retail kite business for something like 30 years (or more) and I've called him friend for the last 18 of those... When I last spoke with him, he said he was working his way through a back log of orders and is seeking someone to come work in the shop with him in Las Vegas. ;)

Sounds like a good reference to me. -- I guess if he could sell you a Revolution he really would be a great salesperson (ice to Eskimos? ) :)

I guess I'll stop worrying but will order a kite from someone closer as well, just in case his backlog takes some time to get through. I hope he contacts me before shipping as my order will have changed by then.

regards
Guy

#10 silverfox

silverfox
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:35 AM

Hi,

Many thanks
Guy

Is anybody else waiting for kites from this shop. I placed an order for my first Rev 1.5 SLE nearly 18 weeks ago. After no sign of the kite after 6 - 7 weeks, I started
sending emails. I got a reply stating that there was an employee problems and that my kite would be posted out immediately. I've waited another 5-6 weeks and still no sign.
I've been sending emails for the last 2 weeks, and all I get when I phone is an answering machine.

I've placed other orders with several other shops in the USA using USPS Express delivery. I received tracking comfirmation both from USPS directly, and the retailers.
All goods arrived within 5-7 working days. The order I placed with windpowersports was also for USPS Express delivery. I've received no tracking information whatsoever.

I've seen a post on the revolution forum by someone who had difficulties with windpowersports with a delivery back around April/May, the reason given was that there was a backlog problem.
If this is the situation with my order, then I think I should have been notified of the expected delay and given the option to cancel the order.

I am now awaiting a refund. I will let you know how I get on.

Regards,
Silverfox

#11 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

Are you sure you are talking about Corey at Windpowersports? His shop is basically a one man operation and doesn't currently have other employees (I think his girlfriend comes in to help from time to time but not sure)... You might be talking about a different shop by mistake. I do know that Corey was out of the country this last few weeks but is back now, that may have also delayed your order.

#12 silverfox

silverfox
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

Are you sure you are talking about Corey at Windpowersports? His shop is basically a one man operation and doesn't currently have other employees (I think his girlfriend comes in to help from time to time but not sure)... You might be talking about a different shop by mistake. I do know that Corey was out of the country this last few weeks but is back now, that may have also delayed your order.

The following text is pasted from the reply I got to the third or fourth email I sent after the initial 6-7 week wait:

> -----Original Message-----
> From: WindPower Sports Orders [mailto:orders@windpowersports.com]
> Sent: 25 July 2008 00:21
> To: Mason, Michael
> Subject: Re: FW: WindPower Sports Kites Order Confirmation
> 2017-9507-3822
>
> Michael,
> Sorry for the delay.
> Your order got caught in an employee problem that has been resolved
> but resulted in a number of orders being misplaced and not shipping.
>
> I have your Rev 1.5SLE and Guide right here and I'll ship them
> immediately.
>
> The Post Office does not provide tracking numbers like UPS.
>
> Corey

=======================================================

I imagine 'immediately' to mean posted on the same or next day.

When I placed the order originally, I opted for the USPS Express delivery
which does have tracking and insurance cover. The windpowersports.com website
states to contact them for a tracking number if there is a problem. I am still waiting to receive this
tracking number.

Regards,
Michael Mason.

PS I have ordered several kites and goods from this store before. The longest wait I had was 6 weeks.

#13 silverfox

silverfox
  • Forum Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:39 PM

Hi all,

Just managed to get hold of Corey, he now tells me he was waiting for my colour choice to come in.
Kite is being posted by USPS express as originally requested, so hopefully I'll have it within 2 weeks.

Regards,
Mick

#14 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:14 PM

hey Mick I drive from canada to shop with Corey @ windpower. If that isnt an endorsement I dont know what is.
he's great and hes got revs everywhere u look in his store, its rev heaven :mf_party:

i guess i'm trying to say "great kite shop"
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#15 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:35 PM

Is anybody else waiting for kites from this shop. I placed an order for my first Rev 1.5 SLE nearly 18 weeks ago. After no sign of the kite after 6 - 7 weeks, I started
sending emails. I got a reply stating that there was an employee problems and that my kite would be posted out immediately. I've waited another 5-6 weeks and still no sign.
I've been sending emails for the last 2 weeks, and all I get when I phone is an answering machine.

I've placed other orders with several other shops in the USA using USPS Express delivery. I received tracking comfirmation both from USPS directly, and the retailers.
All goods arrived within 5-7 working days. The order I placed with windpowersports was also for USPS Express delivery. I've received no tracking information whatsoever.

I've seen a post on the revolution forum by someone who had difficulties with windpowersports with a delivery back around April/May, the reason given was that there was a backlog problem.
If this is the situation with my order, then I think I should have been notified of the expected delay and given the option to cancel the order.

I am now awaiting a refund. I will let you know how I get on.

Regards,
Silverfox

I know Corey goes out alot during the summer lots of kite related stuff. he told me that good help is hard to find. no sales clerks need apply hes looking for a "kite" person any one that knows him probably gets my meaning.

Anyway I've never had a problem.

:cowboy:
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#16 vx_m4rk

vx_m4rk
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

I ordered a Power Blast a couple of weeks ago, not heard anything yet - I've used his site's contact form to request a status update, but no reply so far Posted Image
I'm guessing that placing an order at the time he was off for a couple of weeks was not the best idea! He must have a bit of a back log again...

Fingers crossed it will turn up soon, I will just have to be patient! Posted Image

#17 hyzakite

hyzakite

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:57 AM

I'd cancel the order, sounds like he don't need your business, find someone that does appreciate your business.

#18 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:26 PM

We have Blast's in stock if things don't work out at the other place.

#19 vx_m4rk

vx_m4rk
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

We have Blast's in stock if things don't work out at the other place.

Thanks, just out of interest do you have any Power Blast 4<8's in stock - if so which colours?

If things don't work out and I can get my money back (paid by paypal) then I may spend a bit more to get the larger one instead.

#20 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Yes, we do have 4-8's in stock. I believe we have some Red's, some Blacks and I may have a blue or a purple.......have to double check on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users