Useful Tips & Tricks

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DA12K

DA12K
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

So I have been back into kiting after a "15 year hiatus" and have some useful info I would like to share. I came up with the ideas just recently and would like to get your thoughts and opinions on them.

First, I made a line set and wanted to be consistent when I pre-stretched the lines. So... I went out and got a 50lb fish scale at Walmart for $5.00. This thing worked great to see what kind of load I was putting on each line. I would highly recommend this.

Here is a picture:

Posted Image

Second, to manage knots on line sets I was thinking of using shrink tube to cover up the knots and prevent snags.... I know if anyone tries this they will need to be extremely careful when shrinking the tubing so they don't compromise their line with the heat. Also, if you need to adjust your lines the tubing will come off easy.

here is a picture:

Posted Image

#2 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 08:38 AM

Those seem like fine ideas to me!

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:10 AM

Not a new ideas,but as watty says,a good idea.

Mr John Rawlins[skysail]gave me that pre stretch tip a while ago.Along with Mr Rev[john mitchell] when i was haveing some trouble with my lines grownig.Its a great tip and always worth a mention.
Lines can be bought pre stretch,but its great makeing your own.

The tube seal is new on me though.Sound like a dreat tip,CHEERS

BRIAN...

#4 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

I wouldn’t risk the heat shrink. I thought kite line had a low melting point and that is why sleeving is used, to protect against friction.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#5 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

Second, to manage knots on line sets I was thinking of using shrink tube to cover up the knots and prevent snags....

Interesting. I have had my pig-tails snag now and again on my B-series handles - this may be the start of an idea to fix that problem too. Unless anybody else has an idea on how to stop them snagging?

I could of course just move my hands aparts and not flap my pig-tails around so much ;)....

Cheers

G

#6 DA12K

DA12K
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

I totally understand the "heat" thing... There is low heat shrink tube and as long as you use a hair dryer it should be fine. However; please try this at your own risk and practice on some scrap line to get the feel for the tubing. I am attaching some before and after pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• img105.jpg
  • img106.jpg

#7 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:39 PM

that idea would work better once your lines are stretched and brokin in .. a new linset will go out of alinement a few times and with that youll need to do an onfield adjustment with a sleeve witch is why i only tie 1 knot on each sleeve .. as for snagging i have heard a few fliers complain of this .. i use the thin sleeves.. kinda like the ones theresa from the kite shoppe has.. those have always worked for me great.. the thicker shanti sleeves are the ones that will snag on you due to their thickness
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#8 jay

jay

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 12:04 PM

Fishing tackle shops sell very low melt heat shrink tubing, in various sizes especially made for braided lines
Tight Lines
Jade

http://www.kiteworld.co.uk/

#9 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 08:25 PM

I can see why you may cover the knots on your lines. But would you not be left with the knots on your pigtails, which you cannot cover up obviously, which rather negates any benefit?
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#10 tonycarl

tonycarl

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:15 PM

How about something like this:Posted Image
No knots.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users