wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 11:41 PM

I have a 1.5 with the mylar panels.
I have some white PC31.
I was thinking about replacing the mylar panels with PC31.
So, is it worth the trouble , or will i see not much difference in the flying quality. :unsure:
The reason im asking is that i have heard people say 1.5s fly better without the mylar panels.

I thank you.

Derek.

#2 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:19 AM

Hello Derek,hows the omlette makeing going mate,,,

As a breif comparisson.Pudders has an sle with mylar panles,i have a none mylar sle.Mine will fly in much lower winds and flys better[or im just dead good on a rev :P ].
The only up side i see to mylar paneling is,its very hard wearing and durable.Looks good,,,sometimes.

Im sure Pudders will give you the ins and outs.

ttfn Derek

BRIAN...

#3 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:11 AM

Doing this will depend on just what you want from your rev.

The Mylar is a more durable material, but it is also a bit heavier. This will allow the kite to last longer, but it won't be as precise as one without mylar.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:25 PM

The only miracle cure to make your kite fly better is to LEARN HOW IT WORKS, the flight characteristics of the revolution is the secret.

I own many with both mylar and non mylar there really isn't that much of a difference aside from the fact they do bellow slightly different and sometimes having the mylar is an advantage.

For the wind to be light enough to really see the difference you would be using a kite made for low wind anyhow.

There is no secret tweak to make a Rev more efficient aside from learning how it works efficiently.

Mylar, removing rubber end caps adjusting the bridle are all things we nit pick after learning how the kite works because we need that little more challenge :kid_smartass:

For the record I have sails with mylar panels that are just as soft and flexible as the ripstop and thats from lots of beatings and air time.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#5 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:18 PM

well im thinking that once the kite is factory stitched you probly have to sew over the existing spots but you wont be able to actualy make it look like a flawless factory job unless you are really good at being a seamstriss.. i would just go with a rev sul or one of the newer rev kites .. you can also go on e bay and browse around for an old skool rev as well .. back before the mylar..
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#6 REVflyer

REVflyer

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:42 AM

I have had the mylar panels FAIL (I give lessons in a big wind occasionally and your kites take a serious beating) in both vented and no vented models.

I used 3M's 9460 adhesive tape to replace the panels. Adhere darker colors on the front and back-cut away the mylar.
Adhere lighter colors to the back of the sail and front-cut away the mylar.

Iron the adhesive slowly, you want the bond to fuse, but not the fabric to melt!

My club uses this product all the time, it's way stronger than sewing. I have kites made entirely as "No Sew" that have over three thousand hours of abuse on them.

My advise, don't sew your mylar-replacement panels at all!!!

#7 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:50 AM

The only miracle cure to make your kite fly better is to LEARN HOW IT WORKS, the flight characteristics of the revolution is the secret.

I own many with both mylar and non mylar there really isn't that much of a difference aside from the fact they do bellow slightly different and sometimes having the mylar is an advantage.

For the wind to be light enough to really see the difference you would be using a kite made for low wind anyhow.

There is no secret tweak to make a Rev more efficient aside from learning how it works efficiently.

Mylar, removing rubber end caps adjusting the bridle are all things we nit pick after learning how the kite works because we need that little more challenge :kid_smartass:

For the record I have sails with mylar panels that are just as soft and flexible as the ripstop and thats from lots of beatings and air time.

I find that the mylar REV is a bit too slippery. My first impression when I flew one to the extreme side of the wind window is that it would start to slip downward where the all polyester sail was still staying solid in place.
Another problem is that the mylar is too rigid thus can't absorb the shock well of pounding the ground that a beginner might give it, thus causing the mylar to rip loose.
One advantage I note with the mylar is how smooth and far the REV will glide when tossed.
What do I prefer? I would rather have the all polyester sail.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#8 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:48 AM

"What do I prefer? I would rather have the all polyester sail."
Me too.
PC 31, a couple of hours work, and it looks a lot better. Just got to fly it now.
http://links.picture...Qp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Derek.

#9 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:44 AM

Is that Dark Oak Derek [ON THE PICTURE] :) ,

Nice job mate on the panels.

BRIAN...

#10 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

I,its that stuff you get from B&Q. Its not the ones that slide in; its the ones that lock in place.
I like them floors better than carpets.A think there a lot cleaner.

Oh, and before you say owt, that wallpaper been on at least 15 years, i at least. :blushing:
But it gets a coat o emulsion now and then :artist:

Derek :chef:

PS. and me omlettes tease fine ,and bugger what anybody says :boxing:

#11 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:30 AM

hey wufer i wonder if i could replace that mylar with some vents
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#12 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

antman.
Well you could replace the mylar with mesh,but if i were doing it , i would replace the mylar with PC31,
then I would vent it like the JB. But dont tell JB I said that. ;)
I seem to remember from somewhere that if you simply replace the mylar with mesh, the pressure/force on the sail is in the wrong place, and needs to be further up as in a sail with two vents each side.(maybe JB or JM can comment on that).
Anyway, if you do decide to vent; kitebuilder.com sell the mesh you want , and its there "standerd mesh".

Derek

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

antman.
Well you could replace the mylar with mesh,but if i were doing it , i would replace the mylar with PC31,
then I would vent it like the JB. But dont tell JB I said that. ;)
I seem to remember from somewhere that if you simply replace the mylar with mesh, the pressure/force on the sail is in the wrong place, and needs to be further up as in a sail with two vents each side.(maybe JB or JM can comment on that).
Anyway, if you do decide to vent; kitebuilder.com sell the mesh you want , and its there "standerd mesh".

Derek

I can't really prove it but the REV does seem to control better when the venting is moved away from the right and left outer edges.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#14 Jim Foster

Jim Foster

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:39 PM

I can't really prove it but the REV does seem to control better when the venting is moved away from the right and left outer edges.

I think you are right, John. Here is a photo of Penny Lingenfelter's Rev II at WSIKF in 2006. I flew this kite in very heavy wind, and it was "smooth as silk". Notice the large amount of vent toward the inside.

Attached Thumbnails

• P8275149640.jpg

Fly together! Share the joy, Share the fun

#15 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:17 PM

I think you are right, John. Here is a photo of Penny Lingenfelter's Rev II at WSIKF in 2006. I flew this kite in very heavy wind, and it was "smooth as silk". Notice the large amount of vent toward the inside.

That REV is back a few years.
That pattern came on the market in January 1997 in both the REV I and REV II and is still used on the REV I today, as their standard. Strangely, the REV II took on the pattern of the REV I of 1996, a couple years ago. Before the REV II had the classic or basic pattern.

#16 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:47 PM

"What do I prefer? I would rather have the all polyester sail."
Me too.
PC 31, a couple of hours work, and it looks a lot better. Just got to fly it now.
http://links.picture...Qp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Derek.

Looks nice, but why did you go with blue instead of some shade of red?

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#17 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:16 PM

My Vented RevII has the inner panel version of vent panels:
vented_revII_1.jpg

#18 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

My Vented RevII has the inner panel version of vent panels:
vented_revII_1.jpg

It looks a lot like this vented REV I from 1996. I believe it is the first vented REV I from Revolution.
_46_19960821_b.jpg
The very first vented REV, from Revolution, was the REV 1.5 as seen in this photo from 1996.
_44_19960416_b.jpg
I had already created three different versions of the vented REV I in 1993, 1994 and 1995.

#19 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,448 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:01 PM

snip ...
I had already created three different versions of the vented REV I in 1993, 1994 and 1995.

The three vented REV I's that I created were:
_10_19930810b.jpg
completed and flown in August 1993. In this picture the 6 Velcro black panels are installed. It was a very heavy REV.
_30_19950122_b.jpg
completed in December 1994 but was not flown until about February 1995 because I broke my arm.
_39_199508xx_b.jpg
completed and flown in August 1995.

#20 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 10:31 PM

Watty said
"Looks nice, but why did you go with blue instead of some shade of red?"

Well i did cut three panels out to see what the colours would look like,/white/ blue/ red.
The white looked too much like the mylar;the red looked ok, but i really liked the contrast of the blue, so blue it was. And as you can see Watty, I do love contrasting colours :o .
http://inlinethumb22...S600x600Q85.jpg

Derek.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users