#1 ramakristan

ramakristan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

Hi all,
Wondering anyone out there tried using fishing lines as flying lines. At the moment, I am using this brand of fishing lines, Sufix with pictures enclosed, cut about 4 X 120 feet of it, sleeved it and surprisingly, it is quite smooth flying and can't tell the difference flying my Laser Pro lines.
It is quite strong and when I tried doing about 10 turns, it was still doing okay.
Bought this Sufix lines for about US$38.00 and I can cut into 2 sets, 4 X 120' and 4 X 80' as a spare set lines. Lots of saving as well for me. Let me know.
cheers
chris

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2964.JPG
  • IMG_2966.JPG
  • IMG_2967.JPG

#2 MrDenny

MrDenny

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

Out of nessity I did just get some bradded fishing line to use for sleeves. It's 100 lb. test, thiner, lighter and works great so far. :confused!: I'll see how it holds up.

Denny #12

.. .

Posted Image

#3 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:49 PM

I have a set of 80# x 120' Tuf-Line Plus. I found it very stretchy at first, even though I subjected it to an afternoon holding a medium sized foil before I cut it into a quad set.
It crept several inches and even though I fipped the top lines for the brake lines every few sessions, it still kept going out of tune.
It's not bad now after quite a few hours of break-in time, but it's required far more maintenance than Laser Pro Gold.

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

I'm sure the fishing line will end up stretching very much. LPG lines will only stretch maybe an inch or two after the first hour of flying time.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 ramakristan

ramakristan

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

Yes, I am sure the fishing lines will stretch in time, I just tested mine once so far in about 4 t 6 mph winds and have yet to see whether both the upper and lower lines measure equally.
Its been raining like cats & dogs here due to the monsoon rains we getting, its my turn to sit around idle and keep reading in the forum here.
Thanks for the opinion.
cheers

#6 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

I know the economic situation in Malaysia, so I quite well understand that you cannot afford the more expensive LaserPro and Shanti type lines.
See if you can find out the material. If it is a Spectra/Dynema type fiber then you will be at least in the minimum range of line type you would need for a REV, if not higher. There is some green fishing line that is not bad, but it has one major problem. You can't see it on the grass thus everyone trips over it.
I hate those monsoons, they never seem to end.
Stay dry if you can!

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#7 stevepigeon

stevepigeon

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:57 AM

power Pro fishing line is Lazer Pro. The only difference is power Pro Line is dyed, green or yellow. The colored line is a little bite more on the wallet.
Steve & Sherri

#8 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 03:31 AM

Is this the stuff.vvv
http://www.sportfish...nning_Line.html

Derek.

#9 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 04:16 AM

ive seen that stuff before .. i never tried it because i thoght it wasnt good as the flying line .. does it come in 90# or more that is the question??? ive seen it in stores but only in the 10 to 20# range
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#10 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:13 AM

Yes if you take another look you can see it comes as 88lbx300yrd, which is as near as damb it

#11 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:11 AM

I've talked to someone at Lazer Pro about this before because a majority of their business is fishing line and Yes the fishing line is made differently.

As a sport fisherman (not much since flying Rev's) I use a few different braided lines and I can attest that they are designed to have a considerable amount of elasticity kind of like a shock absorber to take the surges of fighting fish.

I've tried flying a Rev with it and to me it feels like a flying trampoline, very spongy and inconsistent.

It might be OK for very light wind as the kite isn't pulling much but in med to higher winds it feels like the kite is just being pushed where it wants to go because of all the give in the line.

That has been my experience with it.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#12 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:17 AM

I kept "running out" of brakes, as the lines would stretch a few inches every session for the first dozen or so times I used the Tuf-Line Plus.
I would have to re-equalize the lines frequently but eventually they settled down and are now quite usable.

It works fine for shorter dual line sets, but on 120' quad sets, the extra % of stretch made for a lot of adjustments.

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:40 AM

I think the high end fishing lines you are discussing here might fit well with the Malaysian REV fliers because:
- they really can't that often afford the much more expensive Laser Pro and Shanti lines.
- the winds are invariably light there, thus the tendency to stretch a lot as mentioned by some is dramatically reduced.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#14 REVGOD

REVGOD
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:08 AM

power Pro fishing line is Lazer Pro. The only difference is power Pro Line is dyed, green or yellow. The colored line is a little bite more on the wallet.

Sorry, but FYI that is not really true. It is the same company, it is the same FIBER, it is not the same braiding and manufacturing technique. I have flown every type of line there is, including many different fishing lines. There IS a difference. Fishing lines aren't wrapping around themselves, and a little creep or stretch is actually not a bad thing. Can you use them for a Rev, sure you can. You can put snow tires on a Porcshe too. If fishing line works for you, is actually cheaper (not usually the case when compare apples to apples), and YOU can't tell the difference, that's all that really matters. LP Gold and Speed are best lines out there, based on personal comparisons. This is just my opinion.

#15 pudsli

pudsli

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

hi all .
it is o.k for catching bream on the tip.
dont know about rev lines .
you pays your money and you takes your chance.
all the best steve.
Member of British S.T.A.C.K winter league pairs champs 2006/2007

#16 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:40 PM

Sorry, but FYI that is not really true. It is the same company, it is the same FIBER, it is not the same braiding and manufacturing technique. I have flown every type of line there is, including many different fishing lines. There IS a difference. Fishing lines aren't wrapping around themselves, and a little creep or stretch is actually not a bad thing. Can you use them for a Rev, sure you can. You can put snow tires on a Porcshe too. If fishing line works for you, is actually cheaper (not usually the case when compare apples to apples), and YOU can't tell the difference, that's all that really matters. LP Gold and Speed are best lines out there, based on personal comparisons. This is just my opinion.

I have seen several Porsches on snow tires which is nothing dramatically unusual in Southern Germany. The most popular place to see them is at the snow ski areas. However the majority of the Porsche drivers will keep the Porsche in the garage through the winter and drive something like a small Volkswagen or Smart with snow tires.

#17 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

well snow tires or not i might have to try this method as i do need 120 foot lines however would they be good for team flying as doing certin moves that cross 10 or more linesets could probly wreck a cheap lineset quickly.. i would actually like to do a 150 foot lineset as well.. the power pro method if it is as good as you all say it is just might be my meal ticket for 2 good linesets.. my only issue would be wanting a good 90# to 150 # for the winds i get here
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#18 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:31 PM

well snow tires or not i might have to try this method as i do need 120 foot lines however would they be good for team flying as doing certin moves that cross 10 or more linesets could probly wreck a cheap lineset quickly.. i would actually like to do a 150 foot lineset as well.. the power pro method if it is as good as you all say it is just might be my meal ticket for 2 good linesets.. my only issue would be wanting a good 90# to 150 # for the winds i get here

You might get a little too much stretch for your winds. However, you could try a long pre-stretch. That might work.
I don't know about team, I think that is more on how abrasive the llines might be.
I looked at a number of different mfrs on the Web, the strongest I have seen so far is 90#. That is a pretty good size fish or one that can really pull.

#19 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:16 PM

I've used my set of 80# Tuf-Line Plus in mega Quad flies with no problems (other than stretching quite a bit for the first sessions), except they stretched out of tune frequntly. No trouble with them binding or being abrasive.
Tuf-Line Plus feels very much like the older Laser Pro Comp line: quite a soft hand, unlike Laser Pro Gold, which almost feels like wire or not-quite cooked spaghetti.

#20 REVGOD

REVGOD
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 08:33 PM

I have seen several Porsches on snow tires which is nothing dramatically unusual in Southern Germany. The most popular place to see them is at the snow ski areas. However the majority of the Porsche drivers will keep the Porsche in the garage through the winter and drive something like a small Volkswagen or Smart with snow tires.

You're a funny guy...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users