Photo

Not Another B Vented Vs SLE Vented question!!!!!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 johnesso

johnesso
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:20 AM

Yes that question again. I can't afford dozens of kites like some of the luckier forum users, and since I made a foray into kiting I bought all sorts to try and find that niche for me. It's been fun but the four line REV's have won me - so the Flexifoil Rage 1.8 is going along with HQ Tramontana, R-Sky Frenezy (Sold) and perhaps 2 Revs. All as new condition, cheaper, looked after and available for sale to the Aussie market because it's just that much easier for posting and payment transfers for me. Any takers??? They live in Perth, Western Australia.

Momentarily side tracked - I do have a couple of questions. Yes I have two REV 1.5 SLE's - Standard (Red/Orange/Mustard/Yellow with mylar) and Vented (2007 Rasberry/Gold). I almost never fly the Standard anymore, a bit too bumpy at times, much preferring the smooth characteristics of the Vented with a 3 Wrap L/E.

Is the B Series Vented that much better? If so I want one. Does it justify selling off the other SLE's and replacing them with the B? I can't have them all - my choice - and whatever I get for the others gets channeled back into another kite/s. If there's a better choice available then invariably the others don't get that much of a look in anymore.

Also - 4 Wrap. Is it the same as what the SLE L/E is?

#2 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:41 AM

It's been fun but the four line REV's have won me - so the Flexifoil Rage 1.8 is going along with HQ Tramontana, R-Sky Frenezy (Sold) and perhaps 2 Revs.

Also - 4 Wrap. Is it the same as what the SLE L/E is?

Hello/G'day Johnesso :)

Such a shame you have to sell off some of your other kites.
The new Rage is a lovely power kite.

I cannot say if the vented SLE is as good as the B-series vented as I haven't flown the SLE vented (sorry)... but it sure is sweeter than the SLE standard.

The 4 wrap is smaller in diameter to the SLE L/E, so completely different.
The SLE LE is stiffer and doesn't flex as much...
Hence so many of us adore the B-series wraps: smoother and flexible.

I'm pretty new to all this so it is just IMHO.

Over to the techies on this subject......
1 of the 47.

#3 pudsli

pudsli

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:28 AM

hi johnesso.
the only thing that makes the difference is the mylar.
it makes the rev a bit heavier.
so the choice is yours,and how much money you have to spend.
any vented whithout mylar or standard, will be a lot better than a mylar one.
all the best steve.
Member of British S.T.A.C.K winter league pairs champs 2006/2007

#4 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:53 AM

hi johnesso.
the only thing that makes the difference is the mylar.

And the frame it comes with.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#5 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,349 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:52 AM

Just buy a Rev Equipped, skinny leading edge.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#6 johnesso

johnesso
  • Forum Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:40 AM

Just buy a Rev Equipped, skinny leading edge.

Yes the Rage 1.8 is a lovely kite but I've settled back to the Rev's because of the precision factor. Plus I've figured out my way of setting up without tangling the lines - finally.

Ultimately I will get a B Series Vented, but not until the other one goes. I don't know that there's much point in having both when it seems like the SLE will probably stay in the bag once the new kid on the block arrives.

So if there's any Australian flyers reading this who are looking to get into the REV thing, the Standard and Vented I have are both in very good condition. Prefer to sell as a pair. One set of lines and handles. Reasonable/sensible offers considered.

Or perhaps a just like new Flexifoil Rage 1.8.

#7 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:56 AM

I think what Bob was implying is that you could just buy the skinny leading edge for your SLE. Then you would have something that performs in a similar way to the B-series, but at significantly less cost. The Equipped leading edge he refers to is the strongest, 4 wrap one. There are also 2 and 3 wrap rods as well as race rods which are the weight of a 2 wrap but the strength of a 3.

If I were in your position I think I too would stick with the SLE for exactly the reasons you say, then replace it when it became old and knackered. But you may like to think about buying a skinny leading edge for it. Personally I would not go for the 4 wrap, as the SLE rod is fine in bigger winds. I would consider the 2 wrap or racing frame though, as this would add light wind range to your kite. And a vented in light winds is superb. The racing rod is more expensive than the two wraps, but you would get a frame that takes you from light to medium wind ranges, and this would fit well with your SLE rod for heavy winds. The 2 wrap is really only suitable for the lowest winds.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#8 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:49 AM

To answer your origional questions as simply and completely as possible:

The B-Series has a different panal arrangement wich allows for better precision. The kite also is completely rip-stop nylon/polyester. A rev 1.5 includes mylar panals that are heavier, but more durrable.

The 4-Wrap rods (Revolution Equiped) have an internal diameter (ID) of 1/4 inch. The SLE has an ID of 1/2 inch. Due to this difference, the 4-wrap rods are more flexable and are preferred by most rev fliers.

Personally, if I were you, I would simply buy a 4 wrap rod set and a race rod set for your current 1.5 SLE and Vented.

In case you don't know, the race rods are the new thing when it comes to rods. hese are preferred by most fliers over the 2 wrap rods because they have good flexability, they are lighter than the 2 wraps, and they are quite strong.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

I have an older Vented non-Mylar SLE (though I never use the SLE frame) and I did side-by-side comparisons with it and a B-Series Vented: each kite with exactly the same winds/lines/handles/frames. I took turns flying both and also standing downwind and watching both.

The B-Series Vented had a smoother curve to its leading edge and a deeper, rounder 'bowl' in its sail between the verticals. The re-framed SLE had a straighter leading edge in the middle and angles off at the verticals. Its sail was shallower and flatter between the verticals.

The deeper sail of the B-Series seems to make it more precise and forgiving. I find I get less bowties with it, even when reversing quite quickly.

I ordered a set of B-Series that very evening. It is a definite improvement on the older style Rev.

bald_eagle_vented_rev_2.jpg pipers_NWbeach_lowtide.jpg g]

#10 pudsli

pudsli

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:42 AM

hi watty.
the race spars are good but they are not the be all and end all.
ask big bri how many have gone on him.
then ask him how many p series rods has he broke.
i use p100, p200and p400 and also 2 wrap.
i have never had one break yet.
all the best steve.

#11 pudsli

pudsli

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

hi sailor.
yeah forgot about the rods.
nice one.
all the best steve.

#12 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:29 PM

So the wrong impression isnt given,i actually think race rods are the best.When used correctly

Yep ive broken two this year[in total].
One in a 40mph gale at Dunstable when i was so giddy setting up i put the wrong rods in the verticles[i know im a ,,,,.
One when a dive stop on 200ft lines.Went into the drink at Ainsdale.and when i tried to recover the spar had broken in the leding edge.GREAT DIVE STOP THOUGH :lol:

But,weve flown in everything mother nature has thrown at us with the P series spars and not broke one yet.That is true

Your question i think was is the B Series that much better or worth swopping for the sle,,,YES,in the hands of an experianced pilot who could appreciate the diffrences.
I can give you the brochure/pitch, blah, blah, blah as answer,but basically its a Ferrari not just a fast car

BRIAN...

#13 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 01:18 PM

i have flown both and found the b vented to be nice to fly however if you have your leaders tuned right you can fly as i learned few weeks ago at the rev clinic .. i have made my own leaders and have tried them both on a b and sle vented .. my result the b vented was more eazier to do moves on then the sle .. keep in mind i only have sle vented kites and i figured if i have learned the newer style of flyin kites on SLE kites when i do get my b vent soon ill be ahead of the game. i hope so anyway.. i found that flic flacs are eazier on the b vent but doing other moves are eazier on the sle .. but thats because im used to the sle kites as many old skoolers are.. but it all depends on personal flight experence.
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#14 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

Yep.Thats the money question Antman

Personal choice.

BRIAN...

#15 monkey

monkey

Rev Guru

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

Personally, I like sliding SLEs into John's personal B Series when he's not looking.

"wots this then, mate?"
:sign_kitelife:
David Hathaway, Revisionist
-~ REVisions
-~ www.simian-studios.ca
-~ www.teamiquad.com
Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis!

#16 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:04 PM

hmmm im thinking of a way of payback for ol johnny boy from the beating.. him and bazzer have something waiting for them when they arrive here.. see ya soon boyz :kid_devlish:
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#17 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:43 PM

but basically its a Ferrari not just a fast car

...And it has a much higher power to weight ratio than a Ferrari!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#18 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:46 AM

hi watty.
the race spars are good but they are not the be all and end all.

Yes, this is why I was sure to state that most people prefer them to the two wrap.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#19 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:48 AM

Personally I prefer them to 2 wrap, but I prefer them even more when comparing to 3 wrap.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#20 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

The B-Series Vented had a smoother curve to its leading edge and a deeper, rounder 'bowl' in its sail between the verticals. The re-framed SLE had a straighter leading edge in the middle and angles off at the verticals. Its sail was shallower and flatter between the verticals.

The deeper sail of the B-Series seems to make it more precise and forgiving. I find I get less bowties with it, even when reversing quite quickly.

You've got it pretty much right on the head here Steve!

End of the day, with leaders on the handles and the right frame (1/4" leading edges), you can get 80% of the B-Series ability out of an SLE...

But, the differences you noted in the LE curve and sail loading make up that extra 20% precision and reverse flight with the B. ;)

If you've got an SLE already and can't swing the cash for that extra performance, 1/4" leading edges and adjustment knots on the handles are still a GREAT way to go and will change the performance significantly... Remember, iQuad was on SLE sails (1/4" rods) for our first year together.

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users