• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 fly_viking

fly_viking
  • Forum Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:07 PM

I just bought my first 1.5 SLE and my question is this:
The kite is supposed to have a wind range of 4-25 mph. Will my included 90 lb spectra line cope with 25 mph or do I need to swap them for a stronger set? If so, at what windspeed and what line strength will I need?
Hope someone can help!

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:22 PM

I just bought my first 1.5 SLE and my question is this:
The kite is supposed to have a wind range of 4-25 mph. Will my included 90 lb spectra line cope with 25 mph or do I need to swap them for a stronger set? If so, at what windspeed and what line strength will I need?
Hope someone can help!

If the lines are high quality such as Shanti or Laser Pro and in reasonable condition, you should have no problem. Be careful, some lower quality lines might be over rated and snap at even half their rating.
I use 90 lb (40Kg) Shanti almost all the time even in much higher winds. I have never had a line pop.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

Listen to your lines- if the whistle turns into a loud high-pitched death scream, they are very near the breaking point.
FWIW, I'd suggest 150# lines for the SLE once the winds get up in the 20s.
The Vented is a lot happier in those kind of winds though- most kite wind ratings are a bit extreme.

#4 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

If you bought the kite new either directly from rev, or from someone who gets stock directly from rev, you should have Laser Pro Gold 90# lines. LPG is (in my, and many other's opinions) the best kite line out there along with Shanti. This line should be fine in these winds if they are in good condition.

However, for the higher extreme of the kites wind range, I would suggest maybe some 150# LPG line, or maybe even getting a vented 1.5 or B-Series.

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,377 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:49 PM

Listen to your lines- if the whistle turns into a loud high-pitched death scream, they are very near the breaking point.
FWIW, I'd suggest 150# lines for the SLE once the winds get up in the 20s.
The Vented is a lot happier in those kind of winds though- most kite wind ratings are a bit extreme.

Don't forget that longer lines will start to whistle much earlier then short lines.
I had a situation once where I flew a dual line kite on 100 meter lines. It whistled the whole time.
I then flew it on 30 meter lines in the same wind and it practically never whistled.
The wind was quite strong and constant. I would guess around 35-45MPH.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#6 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:14 PM

with 90# lines at 100 to 120 feet i always hear a good howl out of them with the beach winds i get however i always got my music going too and sometimes i canhear it therugh the music .. i have broke lines before but its all part of the fun .. broken lines are like getting knocked down in a football game.. you get hit .. you fall ... but you get up and keep on going .. so the same goes if you break a line .. fix it and keep on flying..well as for advise have a 90# for lighter winds 150# for the heavy stuff
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#7 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:51 PM

90lb is bang on for most winds .I do use 150[top] & 90[bottom] sometimes in higher winds or when flying a stack,blast and progressive stack.Dont usually fly the blast and stacks in more than a 12mph though.

The 50lb line i think would be more usefull to ya for the low winds.Less drag on the kite.

BRIAN...

#8 pudsli

pudsli

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:20 AM

hi all.
like Big Bri said 90lb is fine, but why are you flying a standard 1.5 sle in 25mph winds.
buy a vented.
your lines will be fine for the vented as well.
all the best steve.
Member of British S.T.A.C.K winter league pairs champs 2006/2007

#9 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:47 AM

Lines whistling is normal and fine.
It's when the volume and pitch increase to a death scream that you're getting near the limit.
/former power kiter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users