89 replies to this topic

#61 steveb

steveb

Occasional Poseur

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:57 AM

Wasn't it the Decorators who bonked their kites on the Beer Tent's roof until they were brought beer? :D

#62 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:05 AM

Of course the truly stylish way to have handled that situation would have been to go into the beer tent, whilst still flying, and continued to fly inside while downing a pint!
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#63 Fenman

Fenman

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

Of course the truly stylish way to have handled that situation would have been to go into the beer tent, whilst still flying, and continued to fly inside while downing a pint!

That sounds good to me ,,

#64 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:13 AM

Wasn't it the Decorators who bonked their kites on the Beer Tent's roof until they were brought beer? :D

Yeah right on, I remember seeing that somewhere :)

Wish i had known about kite festivals backin the good olde days.

Bar keep, now where's my Black Sheep ;)
1 of the 47.

#65 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:31 AM

Well for me its the same story as most others... Did the twin line kites for years then saw a video of John Barresi and the was the end of them. Got my Rev on order and I do not see myself going back...

#66 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

At Cervia we pitched up outside one of the bars and 'people congregated'. Bar owner responded appropriately.

I do not remember if it really worked at Bristol but I think that it did!

Felix

#67 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:58 AM

Wow that was way spooky. Welcome to the forum Jeremy. Ice cool name by the way.

regards

Jeremy

#68 Jeremy

Jeremy
  • Forum Member
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 04:48 AM

Thanks I'm glad to be here. Finding a bunch of great info, and even found a few people near me to fly with. Good times...

#69 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

Been thinking about a quad kite for years ... just seemed too expensive for a kite ... might end up in the back of the closet after a few flights. Got to thinking about it again a month or so ago ... winds were too high to fly my RC planes, so we were hanger flying (talking). Surfed the internet and found the IKE club ... saw they had a kite festival that was in the local area.

Attended the festival and watched 180GO perform ... frustrating to watch them if you want to figure out how they're flying the darn things. Just in case you don't have a nerd in your life, let me explain that figuring out how things work is very exciting to an engineer ... and kind of necesary for their mental health. Saw a couple of Rev flyers off to the side, so I drifted over to watch them. After a couple of minutes, backdraft, from the IKE club, asked me if I wanted to fly his kite. Shouldn't of been there, but I was. Should have walked away, but I didn't. I simply stepped boldly off into the abyss. Five minutes of instruction, fifteen minutes of flying(?) and I ordered a kite that evening. Of course that was Saturday and the shop didn't open until Monday ... after researching this and the IKE forum the order was upgraded to a Purple Bee when the shop opened on Monday. So, backdraft, with a smile, passed the virus on to another unwitting victim

#70 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 11 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

Been thinking about a quad kite for years ... just seemed too expensive for a kite ... might end up in the back of the closet after a few flights. Got to thinking about it again a month or so ago ... winds were too high to fly my RC planes, so we were hanger flying (talking). Surfed the internet and found the IKE club ... saw they had a kite festival that was in the local area.

Attended the festival and watched 180GO perform ... frustrating to watch them if you want to figure out how they're flying the darn things. Just in case you don't have a nerd in your life, let me explain that figuring out how things work is very exciting to an engineer ... and kind of necesary for their mental health. Saw a couple of Rev flyers off to the side, so I drifted over to watch them. After a couple of minutes, backdraft, from the IKE club, asked me if I wanted to fly his kite. Shouldn't of been there, but I was. Should have walked away, but I didn't. I simply stepped boldly off into the abyss. Five minutes of instruction, fifteen minutes of flying(?) and I ordered a kite that evening. Of course that was Saturday and the shop didn't open until Monday ... after researching this and the IKE forum the order was upgraded to a Purple Bee when the shop opened on Monday. So, backdraft, with a smile, passed the virus on to another unwitting victim

It's a great infection to have :kid_smartass: . Welcome to the "sick room" on the dark side. Feel free to pass this bug along.
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#71 Ricko

Ricko
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 06:22 PM

Hi everyone,
I have been in kiting around ten years. I 1st saw sport kites at kite festival in Topeka,Kansas not long after that I got got hooked on dual line kites.
I have seen the quad line kites at various kiting events and was impressed with the extreme amount of control you can have over them.
But what catches me the most is the fun factor,they look like they are just plain fun to fly,
I'm gonna blame "Watty" for drawing my attention to the Rev's ,that video "Playing in Cabo" sparked my memory, I was in Cabo about 3 years ago flying a dual line kite... on that beach and...the wind was smooth... and....well anyway you can figuare out the rest;thanks Watty.
I haven't got a Rev yet but I look'in and I will be a newbe that's for sure.
Rick

#72 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 07:48 PM

The fault belongs to Keith at The Kite Company in Newport Oregon (1995). Wanted to show me something new one day and came to the beach with my parents and I. The wind was so light I knew I'd have to work to fly my MEFM. He sets up a Rev 2 on short lines and loooong handles. He had no problems flying. I could get it up about 3 feet and lose it. Between light wind and no previous experience with Revs I said no way. Maybe a month later my father and I bought Rev 1's from the Kite Company. Our stock lines were too heavy to allow us to fly anywhere but the coast. Started to get the hang of flying forward after Keith taught me to fly inverted first. Made flying in light wind a little easier but I still couldn't do what I wanted to with the kite. Then the parents and I went to the WIKF. Dad and I had the Spectra team kinda nervous refueling with they're vented Reactors (or what ever they were called) and took them away after a few minutes. :kid_brooding: Then we saw the vented Rev flying. The venting was one horizontal panel in the middle of the wings. After flying that one and seeing and flying the Rev in one extreme to the other is what really got me going. Now a days I go out for about 3 to 6 hours a day at least 6 days a week. :kid_devlish:

Dean

#73 bartman

bartman

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 08:06 PM

Dean, where do you find that kind of time?

That would be my problem. If I get 6 hours of usable wind and free time a month I'd be lucky. Had this week off and so far have had 90 minutes of usable wind and the rest of the time not a breath unless you are sitting at the airport on top of the weather monitor that reports perfect winds of 17 kph all day.

In any event. I was in a kite store many year ago just looking at single line kites, but noticed a video they were playing showing "Skynasaur" dual line kites. That got my attention and I bought one right away. It was fun, but I mostly just had to learn it myself. There was no Internet around or any other people with a stunt kite. From there I eventually came across a kite magazine which I subscribed to and from there eventually learned about quad line kites and the Rev. I don't recall where I ordered the Rev 1 from, but I do remember thinking I was crazy because back then it was an expensive kite for me. Flew it quite a bit and found a book that helped me fly it better, but still lack of time and a place to fly was always a problem so eventually it got put away for many years. It wasn't until iQuad came around that I took notice of how things had "evolved" and that rekindled my interest in kites. Still have the same problems as before though just now have two B-Series Revs to have the frustration with instead of the Rev 1, but on the plus side the Internet is around now for some inspiration. Just have to find that 3 to 6 hours a day!

Bart

#74 Dean750

Dean750

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:15 PM

Dean, where do you find that kind of time?

That would be my problem. If I get 6 hours of usable wind and free time a month I'd be lucky. Had this week off and so far have had 90 minutes of usable wind and the rest of the time not a breath unless you are sitting at the airport on top of the weather monitor that reports perfect winds of 17 kph all day.

Bart

I go out at about 3 or 4 o'clock and come home between 8 or 10 depending on what the wind is like, how good of a time I'm having and whether I'm flying alone or with RescueRev. My family pretty much kicks me out the door if they know I want to go fly. LOL, lucky me I guess. Another thing that helps is my dual line indoor know how. My Rev 1 isn't supposed to fly in the wind I make it fly in sometimes. Light wind technique goes a ways. Basically I MAKE the time. Life with out play is baaaaaad. Treat your self and make the time to do something for YOU.

Dean :ani_punk:

#75 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:28 AM

There's a good deal on Ebay on an SUL that Antman posted about yesterday (The auction ends in 9 hours):
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

You could also check out the Gone With The Wind forum for some good Rev deals. You do have to register tho:
http://www.gwtw-kite...get=default.asp

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#76 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 08:26 AM

Hi everyone,
I have been in kiting around ten years. I 1st saw sport kites at kite festival in Topeka,Kansas not long after that I got got hooked on dual line kites.
I have seen the quad line kites at various kiting events and was impressed with the extreme amount of control you can have over them.
But what catches me the most is the fun factor,they look like they are just plain fun to fly,
I'm gonna blame "Watty" for drawing my attention to the Rev's ,that video "Playing in Cabo" sparked my memory, I was in Cabo about 3 years ago flying a dual line kite... on that beach and...the wind was smooth... and....well anyway you can figuare out the rest;thanks Watty.
Rick

You are entirely welcome Rick.
Do you have a time share at the Playa Grande or one of the other resorts on that beach?

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#77 Ricko

Ricko
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 03:47 PM

You are entirely welcome Rick.
Do you have a time share at the Playa Grande or one of the other resorts on that beach?

No timeshare, not at this time, it was a wonder that I got out of the airport without a timeshare or something,those guys selling stuff are hard to get away from.
I stayed at The Presidente, pretty sweet deal, great place to get away for awhile.
I am about 1 inch away from getting my Rev (1.5 SLE) I need to choose a color... and then... I will need all the help I can get.

Thanks Again, Rick

#78 Ricko

Ricko
  • Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:02 PM

There's a good deal on Ebay on an SUL that Antman posted about yesterday (The auction ends in 9 hours):
http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

You could also check out the Gone With The Wind forum for some good Rev deals. You do have to register tho:
http://www.gwtw-kite...get=default.asp

Hey Aerochic,
I saw those R/W/B Rev's (SUL AND VENTED) I bid on the vent but the auction had closed by the time I got home.
But, thanks for the heads up.
Been a member over at GWTW for 5-6 years and have missed out on at least one Rev but I will probably get one order before the weekend is over...color choices...color choices.
Rick

#79 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:31 PM

No timeshare, not at this time, it was a wonder that I got out of the airport without a timeshare or something,those guys selling stuff are hard to get away from.
I stayed at The Presidente, pretty sweet deal, great place to get away for awhile.
I am about 1 inch away from getting my Rev (1.5 SLE) I need to choose a color... and then... I will need all the help I can get.

Thanks Again, Rick

My dad's learned how to deal with all the time share sellers. He's been there 11 times in 7 years, so he's got most things figured out. We always go a condo tour at some golf resort to get free stuff. (We don't golf, so we won't be tempted, plus we've already got the Playa Grande ;) )

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#80 deebs1596

deebs1596

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 04:43 PM

i flew dual liners for years, but i always wanted to try a quad so i did some research and discovered that revs were the best so i ordered one.

im not that good yet but hey im still a newbie at QLK's lol

ironically im the youngest kite flyer in my family and the only one to ever try a quad :)
----Dan-----

lost in thought or lost in a field... either way send a search party

i fly what i can and stare at what i cant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users