89 replies to this topic

#21 Jim Dingsdale

Jim Dingsdale

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

Was looking for something completely different and found the Revolution. :rainbowwave:

#22 Bazzer

Bazzer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:54 AM

It's iQuads bloody fault!!!!

Hang on need someone in the team to blame.................????
Stevie it's your fault.

I was happily doing my thing Glued To The Blue
Then saw John, Steve, Todd ,Monks and Ben having even more fun than me at the festivals!
Somehow???? we always ended up a the same place at night!
It's funny that even while drinking they sit in team order.

In truth I found Team flying. Something that is so much fun.
In reality I found the best friends you could ever have.

Bazzer
"The Limey on Lime"
"Spiritual Adviser"

Eat ...make Revs ....sleep......repeat!
Maker and designer of B Pro, Zen, XTRA VNT and Masterpiece kites.
Are you "Glued To The Blue"
I am.
Come visit me
www.gluedtotheblue.comgallery_170_47_48984.gifgallery_170_47_18974.gifgallery_170_47_3948.gif
http://www.teamiquad.com

#23 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:21 AM

Our one and only "Basher" (Bazzer slurred), glad you found us mate. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#24 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:53 AM

I think I have posted this before but I'm more than happy to post again :)

Back in the summer of 2005 a guy at work (Gary, Play365) took delivery of a new duel line. We got talking and I said that I had been a kite flyer in the 70's but had given up after making one too many expensive mistakes, when I was supposed to be saving up to get married.

Back then I had mostly been into SLKs, I had dabbled a bit with Peter Powells but once the initial novelty of tearing round the sky, first in one direction then in the other had worn of I soon got bored.

“It’s all changed now, said Gary, “come and see.”

I did and I have to say, I still wasn’t impressed. I think duel line must be a bit like those Magic Eye pictures that were so popular in the 90's, either you get it or you don’t, and no matter how hard I try, I just don’t get it.

And that would have been the end of the story if, while we were talking I hadn’t seen somebody with a very odd looking kite doing an inverted slide 3” above the ground, way over in the corner of the field.

“Oh, those,” says Gary “they are what I fly in competition.”

I was hooked and very happy to be.

With grateful thanks to both Garys, Tyrell and Matthews.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#25 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:51 AM

I blame Stpehen Hoath of the Flying Squad. While trying to bring down one of his Carl Robertshaw Serpants with our small Sled, Stephen came over and tried to convince us that we should give these strange shaped 4 line thingies a go. Something about Stephen then told me that he was probably right, but I didn't want to believe anybody who was 'that good' at flying any knid of kite :). It took us a year of watching team flying at many UK festivals before we bought an SLE, and the reast as they say, is history.

Thanks to Stephen for encouraging us all the way along. Flying Rev's is becomming a way of life for us now, and I am sure will carry on way in to the future.

#26 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:53 AM

see that baz if you didnt join i quad you wold have never seen the savage beating i got :kid_devlish:
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#27 nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

Hmmm, Wow I'll sound like a total loser here and say that I'm still flying dual lines, my obsession of flying is just one of those things, about three years ago I got bored and said to myself "well I need to do something with my spare time" and went to the local toy and kite store, talked with one of the sales reps and developed a rapport (still go to this guy with questions and trade tips) got a number of dualies from moderate to "burn the wallet in half" priced, got pretty good with them, and decided I needed another challenge. I saw one of the promo videos playing in the store, I think Joe H. was the person on their flying a 1.5 and it just looked like some interesting if not unusual techniques involved. First blood for my on the quads would be the Exp red and black, just played with it in passing for awhile, a nice mix between dual and quad flying. Then the beginning of last year I started to troll the forum, and the website and saw some information on the "B-series 1.5" well I had seen some people flying 1.5's here and there and they looked like fun, I looked at all the added items to the package and said to myself that is a good deal, Im just not to impressed with the color. Not too long after that I checked the Rev website and there is the picture of a purple rev b series, hemmed and hawed for a few minutes, and the next morning went down to the kite store and told them I don't know if they have them in stock yet, but I want you to call Rev, and get me a purple b." After that it gets kind of blurry and I fly anything that I feel like, but the purple b tends to have a switchblade tendency once my kite bad opens.

#28 Kitelife

Kitelife

Forum Guru

• Forum Host
  • 5,934 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:01 AM

Switchblade tendency, very nice. ;)

John Barresi

johnbarresi.com | kitelife.com | learnkites.com | teamiquad.comkitemap.org
youtube.com/kitelife | facebook.com/kitelifemagazine | KiteLife on Google+

President - American Kitefliers Association

"We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust the sails."
(found in a fortune cookie - possibly an Einstein quote)

My full list of kite articles - kitelife.com/author/john-barresi

Please reward posts that are helpful, give positive reputation by clicking on "Like This" button on the right side of each post.

#29 cbabbman

cbabbman
  • Forum Member
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:53 AM

Kent at A Wind Of Change... it's all his fault ... during one of my first conversations with him after starting in 2006 he said "If you want to fly something cool, fly a Rev".

Gee, thanks buddy... :sq-wink:
Posted Image

#30 mdilucca

mdilucca

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:13 PM

Todd Rudolf handed me the rev handles a couple of years ago in a windy day at Ocean Shores. Of course I had no idea what to do with those handles! :kid_brooding: I'm totally addicted since then!! :kid_devlish:

BTW, the Iquad team was funded that memorable weekend at Ocean Shores.

Cheers
Mario

Cheers

Mario

Island_quad_logoSmall_50_zps817bf301.jpg

#31 Mike

Mike

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

Probably 10 years ago, Dave Shenkman of The Kite Connection was demoing Revs at the Great Lakes Kite fest in Grand Haven, Michigan.
I was amazed by what he could do, and after he showed me how to fly, I bought an EXP and flew it off and on during the summer. There aren't any other kiters where I live and years went by where I didn't fly much. Then several years ago I started checking out some festivals and my interest grew. I met lots of kiters, made lots of new friends, and boy am I hooked now! I have bags o' revs and go to lots of festivals every year.
Mike Kory:
Posted Image and Posted Image

#32 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:48 PM

I totally blame Art St Pierre. after watching him fly these things for some time while flying my duals I finally took the financial plunge and got an EXP a week later I actually jumped to a Power Blast 2-4 :confused!:

Shortly after, I met Sue and Steve at High Flyers and my addiction had a very excellent distribution center.

A few years and 35 kites later I'm at this moment still deciding what I'm getting next :kid_brooding:

Hi My Name is Jim and i'm a :kid_cussing: Rev Addict :kid_devlish:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#33 terry w

terry w

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:20 PM

i startd out flying an old school 2 line stinger a friend from the windy praires gave me. i was hooked immediately, upgraded my two line kites with a variety of prism and others. as for the rev i would have to blame ....i quad stevester ( for his passion and skill)....... mario and gordie from the point for getting me totally wired to the rev.
bought a used exp from mario and slammed that sucker into the ground more times than i care to remember. picked up a blast, rev 1 vented and a SLE crashing them a lot before finally going totally b-series, both vented and full . i have to say that i am fortunate to have two members of iquad ( steve and adrian ) with mario ( alternate member) flying at my home field , it just fuels the addicton . oh yeah there a very few unplanned landings these days
terry w
Posted Image

#34 TGunn

TGunn

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 06:43 PM

In 1989 while at a festival competition I saw John Oliver of Nevada flying a Rev 1, doing dive stops and I was hooked! I'd been flying dual line for a while, but the rev was something completely different.

Troy Gunn

TKO Sport Kite Team - Founding Member
<a class="bbc_url" title="External link" href="http://tko.sportkite...d.com/home.htm" rel="nofollow external">http://tko.sportkite...od.com/home.htm

#35 KYT ADIK

KYT ADIK

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

After watching iQuad at the TI Festival this January, I was memorized, bought The B-Series.... and then Sherri (from Kitesville) said..... "go ask Ben, he'll show you how to fly... just ask him"..... now I've got flying on the brain day & night... Completely Addicted...............Thank you!

Starna*

Kiting Tampa Bay

Treasure Island Kite Festival & Sport Kite Competition<br style="background-color: rgb(238, 243, 248);">January 19-20 2013

#36 Jay Nunes

Jay Nunes

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:11 AM

My Oldest sister Beth handed me a cheap 2 liner.. I had a blast with it all day..
The Next Day we Went to Dr. Gravity Kite Shop in Mass..
Thats where I purchased my first Rev. a 1.5 SLE...

My Nephew Joe and I Watched the "Video" and ran out to the beach to try it..
We started out with 5 Crashes each...
Than 5 minutes Each..
Then we went back to Dr. Gravity and bought him a kite... :kid_content:
A Rev II this time...

I have had a great time ever since and it just keeps getting better....

Kiting Tampa Bay Web Site

Kitemania

February 7-8 2014 Treasure Island Beach..
The NON_Festival weekend of flying...

#37 KYT ADIK

KYT ADIK

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:06 AM

I have had a great time ever since and it just keeps getting better....

Ain't That The TRUTH!!! :kid_devlish:

Starna*

Kiting Tampa Bay

Treasure Island Kite Festival & Sport Kite Competition<br style="background-color: rgb(238, 243, 248);">January 19-20 2013

#38 Stephen Hoath

Stephen Hoath

Rev Guru

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 11:25 AM

I saw this team The Decorators at the East London Kite Festival in 1992 and thought that looks fun. It was only after I started flying team with Sky Dance that Ian from the team let me fly his Rev, after that I was hooked. We ended up writing a routine for Revs, then we got some, then we learned how to fly them.

Basically, it's all Felix's fault :kid_smartass:

Stephen Hoath

<a href="http://www.baidesign.net" rel="nofollow">Bai Design</a>

cappalatte-150x90.jpg

#39 Simon

Simon

Rev Legend

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

Got mine from Richard Marsh at tradewind kites in reading...best part of twenty years ago (where did all those years go...)

Never seen one before, I think rich had just got back from KTA with his order. I took a month off work and went flying every day, by the end of it went to my first contest UK Nationals and flew in Innovation, got 3rd as far as I know first Rev flown in competition in UK. Still cant fly them for S*&t but I'm trying !!! Learn something new everytime.

Biggest influence, flying Skydances 2 & 4 line choreographed routines - since then "we all learned together" (boom boom) sung to the frogs chorus. PS sorry about the post its late and I'm tired .. night night.

The Flying Squad

Posted Image

#40 Felix Mottram

Felix Mottram

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:05 AM

I saw this team The Decorators at the East London Kite Festival in 1992 and thought that looks fun. It was only after I started flying team with Sky Dance that Ian from the team let me fly his Rev, after that I was hooked. We ended up writing a routine for Revs, then we got some, then we learned how to fly them.

Basically, it's all Felix's fault :kid_smartass:

I take full responsibility, it is all my fault and don't you forget it. <grins>

It was only in 1993 that I dreamt up this idea of a very large team format...

I now expect that everyone involved should get their acts together and deliver a presentation based on the grid flying proposal.

Thanks

Felix

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users