• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Destructor

Destructor
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

Hi,

I am new to Revs but have been kiting for a few years with quadline power kites and more years with simple 2 line stunt/trick kites.

I have just purchased a second hand Rev Blast however since I am used to 2 lines and not quad lines (on stunt/trick kites at least) I am having a bit of trouble seeing where to attach the lines and seeing how the general set up of the bridle and other lines should be.

I also need to know how to adjust the set up for the type of wind I am flying in.

I presume that the control lines must be tied to the red line on each wing and the brake lines to the bottom black bridle lines on the trailing edge.
The red lines have one end attached to a spar connector on the leading edge and the other attached to the black bridle by what looks like a larks head knot.
On the left side of the kite, there is a white line attached to the upper black bridle by a larks head knot and the other end is attached to the red line (near the leading edge). On the right side however, the white line was only tied to the red line near the leading edge and the other end was hanging down loose.
The seller has informed me the white line is used to attach the top and bottom lines together to make the kite more sensitive. I'm not sure how he means to do this but for now I'll be wanting to start off with the kite less sensitive. He has also informed me that he tied the left hand white line to the red line to keep it out the way.
My main queries are; should I untie the white line altogether if I do not plan to be using it so it is out of the way?

Also should it just be attached with larks head knots in the places to the red line and the upper black bridle as previously mentioned or should it link the top and bottom black bridles?

What knots (inner or outer) with the bottom black bridle do I attach the brake lines to for which wind type i.e. high or low wind (also what is defined as high and low wind in mph please for these kites). There are two knots on the red line. The black bridle is attached by larks head knot between the 2 knots on the red line presumably to stop the bridle from moving up the red line altogether and changing its shape/collapsing. Presumably the control lines are then attached between the same knots on the red line by a larks head knot.

The lower black bridle has two knots on 2 separate 'strands' on each wing, presumably the brake lines are then attached to the knots nearest the flier and will be on the left or right (on each wing) to adjust sensitivity depending on wind speed etc.

If anyone has any pictures or instructions for a Rev blast to show where all the bridle lines should be and what set up to use for high / low wind etc that they could scan in please or refer me to this would be much appreciated as it is very hard to understand and explain in writing.

Please see the attached picture of how the lines currently look. The white line may be in the wrong place as discussed. I want to just check everything is ok before I try and fly it as I may take it out Wednesday which is likely to be 15mph and do not want to risk having it set up wrong and end up breaking a spar/leading edge etc.

Thanks

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Destructor

Destructor
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:59 AM

Ok, I took the kite out today and connected the control lines to the knot on the red line and the brake lines to the 2 outer knots on the lower bridles and briefly launched. The wind was quite gusty today and it went up and I had very little control whatsoever - it came down soon after so I decided to pack it away to avoid causing any damage in case it is set up wrong.
I have measured the proportions of the kite and the bridles - see attached picture.

Can any one please confirm if it is set up correctly
and also which way up the handles should be - A or B on the picture?
Thanks
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:48 PM

Destructor...

Doesn't look like your getting much help.... sure someone on here has experience with a blast ... I dont but I do have a shockwave (well 2 now) which is not a million miles away .... which I am only just learning to tame..

Things I do know...

Handles are definitely orientated as per 'A'
Top lines I think you have right Bottom/brake lines are slightly different ... all revs I have, have a single attachment point but I believe the Blast and power blast have two options for different conditions (either/or not both)..

I had flown probably 4-5 hours on a vented B when I first flew my Shockwave and was convinced I had done something very wrong rigging it! don't expect an easy ride although I do admit I rigged my kites with the vertical spars in front not behind the sail which doesnt help!

If you havent flown a rev at all you will find the whole skill set very different, so dont assume its to do with the set up... the kite should fly ok looking at what youve done but if you dont have the right tension on what you call the break lines you will not have control.....

Hopefully someone will jump on here and give you some set up details for the blast soon .. I know I was helped a lot by these forums so stay tuned...

If not let us know where you fly and maybe someone nearby can arrange a meet up

Good luck

Jonesey

#4 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:48 PM

HEY ANT ANY CHANCE YOU CAN JUMP IN HERE???????

Destructor you are a brave chap. Big potential for getting your arms stretched.

OK I dont have a Blast, but want one.

Handles I know defiatly as in A like Jonsey says.
He is also right about having one point on the top and two points dependin on wind on the bottom.
Spars on back of kite also right.

Word of caution, try it out first in LIGHT winds. Maybe 5mph to start. Although you can drop the power in an instant you dont want to be dealing with gusts till you have tha hang of it.

If you are not used to 4 line, try a 1.5 for a while first.

My advice for what it is worth.

#5 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

why sure..the blast has 2 brake tow points to it for diffrent wind speeds .. in light winds the outer lower points.(bottom black bridles) are what i use to fly it .. i use the inners for high winds .. a great wind speed for that kite is 2 to 10 mph.. the red top bridle is the same just tie your top lines to it and tie the bottoms to the black lower bridles .. it does serve 2 purposes to be a light wind floater and a power kite in the stronger stuff.. it also has white down bridles that are removeable.. i dont use them but you might like them .. i find them to make the kite harder to control.. try the kite with them and without them .. they come off real eazy .. just undo the larks heads on bot the top and bottom bridle tow points where the down bridle attches..let me know if this all helps..
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#6 Destructor

Destructor
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:22 AM

'Destructor you are a brave chap. Big potential for getting your arms stretched'

Lol I've had that said before regarding power kites - still can't be worse than a Flexifoil Blade! I'm still feeling the effects from power kiting the other day with my Flexifoil Rage. (ache)

Thanks all for the advice! - Big help!

I thought I'd check the set up first since the Rev Blast is different to my other kites.
I think personally the brake lines were far too slack hence why I had little control even in braking to bring the kite down gently and it was too windy with the gusts when I took it out. (I presume what I call brake lines are there partly to brake/slow the kite and can be used to land the kite and also to help do sharper turns?)

Do you just launch it by pulling on the control lines when the kite is tipping back (but not totally flat from the ground)? Since it is more of a flat shape rather than a triangular one, is there any specific way of setting the kite when flying on your own with out help of someone standing the kite up for you if it blows over before you get back to the handles? With triangular ones, you can stand them up to support themselves between the wing points and the middle spar without the kites falling over so easily.

I was between decisions about whether to take it out at all, let alone try fly it the other day and then packed it away within a matter of minutes after just one launch.

Now at least I know it should be set up ok and it's just a matter of taking my time learning to use it in the right conditions. My other trick kite - a Prism Hypnotist (2 line light weight trick kite), I am also yet far from mastering and can only do a few basic moves with as I have mainly used it in very little wind and even none at all - just doing basic backflips and gliding.

The Blast should be a nice quicker alternative, and feeling the power down the lines is always good - hence the reason why I originally decided to step up to quad lines and power kites in the first place.
I'm pretty sure I had the handles the right way up (similar to power kite quad handles) but just thought I'd check in case. I also had the spars located on the reverse of the kite.

I'll try and test the kite out this weekend providing it doesn't snow and let you know if using the bottom bridle points differ from one another in the conditions I fly in and will also try and remove the white lines. If I did want to attach the white lines, which points would I attach them between please and for what conditions are these for use in i.e. light or stronger winds? If it helps at all I can number the previous diagram to make it easier to see where to attach things.

Also do you ever need to adjust the position of the red 'leader line' that passes through the black upper bridles?

Whilst I remember - there are I think two different knots on the black leader lines on the handles which you can attach the control and brake lines to which will also effect the tightness of the brake lines.

The handles themselves measure about 13" in length. The line on which the control line is attached is about 5" in length the first knot is 0.5" from the handle, the next is 2" and the next (at the end) is 2.5". The bottom line which the brake line is attached to is 5.5" in length with only one knot at the very end. Does this sound correct which one do you recommend I tie the control and brake lines to? I am using Laser Pro Competition Gold lines measuring 150lb in strength and 100ft in length which presumingly came with the kite.

Is there also any system which is used to anchor the kites to the ground when not being flown or to connect to the handles that anyone uses similar to kite killers or loops on quad handles like used in power kiting?

Apologies for the long posts.
Posted Image

#7 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

Can answer a couple of your questions.

Check all the line lengths are the same to within less than half an inch. If you dont do this you can end up with all sorts of control problems.

Use a stake like a decent sized tent peg. Stake your handles down with either lots of brake or lots of forward.

Attatch lines to handles and pay out to kite. Attatch lines to kite.

Depending on how you staked your handles the kite will now "stand" up. LE up if you have brakes applied. Turn it over LE down if handles have "accelerator" applied.

As for the knot positions I am afraid I would have to experiment with them.

Go back to handles, dont forget to pick up the stake, you will probably not be in the same place when you need it again.

Try the kite.

As far as kite killers are concerned you can dump the power so easily with a twist of the wrist I have never felt I needed them. Then again I have never flown a Blast, YET.

Have flown Stings and Beamers, the Blast will be very different, quicker to respond I think. I used a Sting to get used to 4 line control B4 I could understand my Revs. You will probably find it develops most power with some brake applied.

Best of luck.

#8 Destructor

Destructor
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

'Attatch lines to handles and pay out to kite. Attatch lines to kite.'
D: Cheers! that makes sense - why didn't I think of that lol - opposite to power kiting but then I normally leave handles and lines attached. I have a stake that fits in a holster strapped to my leg. I may attach a loop to the handles to make staking them easier during high wind speeds.
I will also double check the line lengths and try and tune it to get the best control vs brake response as I've had to with my power kites.
'You will probably find it develops most power with some brake applied.'
This is true with some power kites such as Skytigers.

Thanks again for your help and quick response!
Posted Image

#9 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:52 PM

Dont bother with a loop on the handles. Unless you want to of course.

Just peg them down with the tops pointed at the kite for LE up, ie drop the handles on the peg handle one side pigtail the other.

Or bottoms towards for LEdown. A lot of fliers will set the kite LE down as it is percieved to be safer if some unaware individual trips on the lines.

Hope this explains it better. Not sure it does now I have re read it.

Go fly and enjoy yourself. Looking to get a Blast n my next order. Let me know how you get on.

#10 Theresa

Theresa

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:19 AM

Go fly and enjoy yourself. Looking to get a Blast n my next order. Let me know how you get on.

Gold should be here any day now soon!! :)

Thanks!

T

#11 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:41 PM

Thanks T. Just got to find you some money now.

#12 Destructor

Destructor
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:26 AM

I have it in the Gold - best color, especially for beaches - it looks Nice!

Sadly due to the sleet yesterday and snow flakes today it'll be another no fly weekend - hope it'll be better next weekend but I think the weather is forecast to get worse again before better...
Posted Image

#13 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:53 AM

I've just seen where you're from Destructor. I grew up in Northgate and my mum still lives in Church Lane, my sister in Greetwell road and my brother by Greestone steps. Next time I am up we should have a fly.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#14 SynTaks

SynTaks

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:48 PM

why sure..the blast has 2 brake tow points to it for diffrent wind speeds .. in light winds the outer lower points.(bottom black bridles) are what i use to fly it .. i use the inners for high winds .. a great wind speed for that kite is 2 to 10 mph.. the red top bridle is the same just tie your top lines to it and tie the bottoms to the black lower bridles .. it does serve 2 purposes to be a light wind floater and a power kite in the stronger stuff.. it also has white down bridles that are removeable.. i dont use them but you might like them .. i find them to make the kite harder to control.. try the kite with them and without them .. they come off real eazy .. just undo the larks heads on bot the top and bottom bridle tow points where the down bridle attches..let me know if this all helps..

Found this thread while poking around...We are borrowing a standard (not the 2/4 or 4/8) from one of our club members...and he doesn't know the answer.

Is the reference for traction or for trick flying? I also noticed that the upper connection on the white bridal line are also adjustable, or is that just my imagination?

---Tak

Edited by SynTaks, 19 January 2010 - 10:52 PM.

Posted Image
AlasKiters kite club

There's two of us crazies here.... which one is this?
He's into the B series, choreography and coloring.
She's into a bridleless SUL and skiing with a Blast.

#15 Destructor

Destructor
  • Forum Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:09 AM

Found this thread while poking around...We are borrowing a standard (not the 2/4 or 4/8) from one of our club members...and he doesn't know the answer.

Is the reference for traction or for trick flying? I also noticed that the upper connection on the white bridal line are also adjustable, or is that just my imagination?

---Tak

I've not actually used it at all since I got it - partly due to strongish winds and lack of time. Hopefully this year I can find the time to fly it inbetween other things. Let me know how you get on with it. Good Luck.
Posted Image

#16 barberman

barberman
  • Forum Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

The 1.5 I sold to a friend needs a new black left vertical string on the bridle. The bottom is starting to wear and shows its white inner core. Is this just spectra inside sleeving? Comments appreciated.

Edited by barberman, 13 June 2010 - 08:32 AM.

#17 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:07 PM

You can purchase an entire bridle - pre-tied and ready to install in minutes. Bridles can be purchased from most local kite shops that carry the Revolution brand. If you can't find one at your local shop or if they refuse to order one in, give me a call. We have them in stock.

Here is a link:
Revolution Replacement Bridles for the B-Series, 1.5 SLE and SUL kites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users