54 replies to this topic

#41 Aerochic

Aerochic

Revadelic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:00 AM

I feel a bit like I'm admitting having a James Blunt album on my iPod ...

BWAhahahahahaha! :kid_devlish:

Better Living Through Rev Flying...

Rev Themed Ts & Goodies: http://www.zazzle.co...ckarts/clothing
Aerostakes: http://www.etsy.com/shop/LeshockArts
Rev Galleries: http://www.revkites....=user&user=1408
Flickr Pics: http://www.flickr.co...s/16896184@N05/

#42 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 04:49 AM

BWAhahahahahaha! :kid_devlish:

Don't get me wrong I really haven't got any James Blunt on my iPod it just FEELS like it admitting to an SLE ;)

#43 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 06:15 AM

Are you sure Jonesey, not even just a teeny weeny bit of James Blunt.

#44 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 13 September 2008 - 08:52 AM

Are you sure Jonesey, not even just a teeny weeny bit of James Blunt.

Well if I did it would be for the wife or the kids ...... Honest!

Flew with new member HippyChippy this afternoon and he took the advice that many of your guys gave him and bought a standard B .. he has had it up in all weather in the last week thanks to the multiple frames and today got to use it in very light winds (and Sunshine!!!) ...... I am sure he will be happy to jump on here and from a new users perspective tell you this was absolutely the right choice for him ... and that he is about to order a vented B to complete the set!

He might also tell you about how he broke his first line today or a far better story about visitors to our shores trying to fly a dual line kite next to us by setting up the kite where we were standing and walking their lines downwind to where our kites were hovering ??!! they just couldn't understand why their kite wouldn't fly (other then towards them) ..... of course the fact that girl flying the kite was rather well endowed and wearing a small summer top with her arms constantly above her head had no bearing on the fact we took such an interest :blushing:

#45 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

I know this is being a bit pedantc , however I would argue with you slightly Bob.

Not really too much in my post to disagree with, as far as possible I always try to avoid making specific recommendations, especially to newebies, generally I feel it is better to provide them with the information they need to make their own decisions

Admittedly I did make one specific recommendation but that was not so much about choice of kite but more about saving postage.

A B series you have, 2 wrap, 3 wrap, both wraps, you can even put a 3 wrap centre with 2 wrap ends. B series is like a pile of lego blocks.

With a SLE you have a SLE. If you do go SLE route you can always buy new frame sets..

That is why I recommended adding an EXP leading edge to an SLE order, obviously not offering as many permutations as a std B, but considerably cheaper, you pays your money you takes your choice. I think it is clear that the B series is the best VFM route, but it is a big initial outlay for a newbie who may not be too sure how far this Rev flying lark is going to take them.

Baloo, you and I are I guess, both at a time in our lives when we have a little disposable income to spend on the finer pleasures in life but I can remember a time not so long ago when I had to be a lot more careful with the credit card, The B series may well be the best VFM if you can afford it but not everyone can. There are a lot of people on this forum who appear to believe that, if it is not B Series then somehow it is second best, I donít, it is a nice kite and a good package but it is not the Holly Grail and it will not turn a novice into an expert pilot. I know of several UK top fliers who manage perfectly well with out a single B series in their bag.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#46 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 03:15 PM

I know of several UK top fliers who manage perfectly well with out a single B series in their bag.

It would be a pretty dull World if we were all the same ;)

Personally in a strong wind zone, I'd always go for a vented, no matter what the design/package it is!

Jonesey> You're Beautiful :) "I feel a bit like I'm admitting having a James Blunt album on my iPod" :lol:
1 of the 47.

#47 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

I think we should get S,Hoath singing.Then we can ipod him forever.What do ya reckan he sings well or hes into.

1,In out,in out,ya shake it all about.

2,Its just a jump to left,and then a step to the righhhhyt....

3,Have a little,PATIENCE,,,,,,,,

BRIAN...you can leed a Horse to water,but a Pencil must be lead.

#48 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 09:35 AM

I go for option 2.

Ages since I have been to a Rocky Horror show. And yes, I used to dress up.

#49 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:22 AM

WHADA YA MEAN,USED TO

BRIAN...

#50 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

OK I still dress up. Is that what you wanted to hear, blast you.

#51 Hezz

Hezz

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:12 AM

Everyone knows that S. Hoath's favourite track is "The Frog Chorus" by Paul McCartney. :devil:

Hezz

#52 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 11:28 AM

OK I still dress up. Is that what you wanted to hear, blast you.

But only in private now. :kid_smartass:
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#53 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 01:39 PM

But only in private now. :kid_smartass:

Depends on how much I get paid.

Just rememberd Bob, wasnt there som mention of your strange state of dress at one time during the Bristol Weekend?

#54 Mitch

Mitch

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:55 PM

Just for the sake of argument.... I wouldn't go and buy an SLE Leading edge for a B .... having said that I already own one so must admit that if its well above 4 wrap weather I do use it ... why? its easier to insert then two ... less rods to lose or damage and to me these are really survival conditions so I'm more concerned with not breaking anything then the last degree of precision.... I kind of feel in those conditions the sail is being used outside its range anyway so i will probably not fly for long and its a nice solid setup that's not going to let me down ..... I'm tempted to say the sail shape is better with the SLE then the 2 rods setup but haven't done a side by side test for a while so will avoid the flaming by not saying that!

I feel a bit like I'm admitting having a James Blunt album on my iPod but "My name is Peter Jones and I occasionally use an SLE" ... actually that feels kind of liberating you should try it ;)

Oh and buy a 'B' ... no brainer!

I'm struggling with the same question, only a b verses a I. I am a complete new-be to quads (though not too bad with duel line kites) so I want something to learn on. The money is not the object so much as my sorely limited flying time. Given that, would you still go with the b over a I for a learner?
Mitch

#55 Merrik

Merrik
  • Forum Member
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 01:41 AM

Hi folks.

Bit late into the debate, but what the hey!.

Personally i would`nt have been without the SLE to start with as it took so much punishment in those first few hours. I did upgrade to a 3 wrap frame at Christmas once i felt confident enough not to try and plough the field or attempt to reach Oz with it and it made a big difference to my flying.

I also made a choice to go with a standard sail to begin. Reason being (in my mind) was that if i could begin to master the hover etc with the full sail in our lumpy inland winds then the step up to a vented should be that much easier and i would have a "possibly" trickier skill set (full sail) under my belt. This is probably a total bunch of arse as a theory but in my odd mind it made sense.

Having flown a vented this weekend for the first time i kinda stunned myself with how well i was flying!! SO... portsmouth here i come and a vented will be joining the kite bag ASAP. This time i will invest in a B series i think for the multiple frames. Lets just hope my colour choice is available as it seems to never be in stock :angry:

See you all there (I was the wierdy beardy lurker in the long waxed jacket @ dunstabubble)

Edited by Merrik, 25 August 2009 - 01:42 AM.

Stay safe, stay well, dream well

Merrik

1.5 Full Sail Red/Black, 1.5 JB Full Vent Red/Black, Blue/Black Supersonic

www.fookiters.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users