54 replies to this topic

#21 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:41 AM

What really amazes me and I think this was a freak instance, Yesterday was very light and variable winds with constant SE to SW changes we started off the day with race rods and 3-wraps 1 of my sons kept the SLE in and it seemed his kite was not only faster but was staying up easier.

My other son decided to switch to the SLE as he was struggling and after watching him fly better I finally had to say "gimme that" now i don't if its because it kept the sail flatter catching more wind that caused it to have what seemed to be more lift but it did which is still keeping me boggled even as I type this.

Of course that annoying SLE twitchiness sent me back to my Race Rods rather quickly and while I had no problem due to experience it still was very prominent the added lift obtained by that flatter sail.

But all in all they still suck :kid_smartass: I'll keep my 1/4" any day.

Now I only use SLE in a teabag rev or when it's 20+mph it seems to make the kite pull less as it's not deforming and powering up so it seems to be worth keeping the spars just incase lol
GARY

Posted Image

#22 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:56 AM

More so than putting, say, a 3 and a 4 wrap in Gary?
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#23 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,401 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:11 AM

Now I only use SLE in a teabag rev or when it's 20+mph it seems to make the kite pull less as it's not deforming and powering up so it seems to be worth keeping the spars just incase lol

The SLE rods definitely have an advantage in strong winds because of the stiffness of the rods causes the sail to be flatter thus reducing the cupping effect of the sail which in turn reduces the pull.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#24 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 10:03 AM

More so than putting, say, a 3 and a 4 wrap in Gary?

Yep when in team i find holding at diff angles easier with the SLE (in higher winds with a teabag)
GARY

Posted Image

#25 Guest_groz_*

Guest_groz_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

Groz ...

Will these help? shows washer + Standard rod + SLE

Brill thanks Jonesey and all for the advise. Off to the hardware store to buy some 'O'z now :D

#26 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:34 PM

Is that garden O'z?

#27 Harrier

Harrier

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

Is that garden O'z?

Pieces cut from vehicle eater O'z work fine Chris :lol:

#28 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:07 PM

Yep that would be garden o'z to go with your for'kandles.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#29 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 02:09 PM

Didnt think of eater O'z. Probably a better bore. Or even petrol O'z might be better.

#30 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:14 AM

I was reading this post in an attenpt to figure out which rev to buy that would be the easiest to learn on. now my brain hurts I had settled on the 1.5 sle but it dosn't flex as much as the b's smaller le making more difficult to fly. The b is consderably more expensive for a starter, crashing it seems like a bad idea. I have a Blast but it is crazy to control.
If i were to get the sle and also get the lighter le and change them out, would that be a good combo?

Thanks, Cowboy.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#31 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:39 AM

You could get a SLE and get other frames for it later.

You could get the 2 B's and you would be set up for anything.

Putting my neck on the line now I started with an EXP, then Rev1 then the B's. Only spars I have snapped are in stepping on them. Or a heavy crash with a Rev 1 in high wind with 2 wrap spars.

Suppose you could go for a B and get a SLE to go in it (please dont all flame me at once)

Honestly I have crashed mb full sail B with a 4 wrap in it VERY hard and not broke it. I have put the 3 wrap in alongside the 4 and flown in 50 + mph winds.

I know the B is more expensive, remember it comes with 2 full frames and a few other bits too. I would go for the B all day every day. If you had been at the iQuad days at Portsmouth you would have seen a smattering of other Revs and a whole heap of B's.

#32 Watty

Watty

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:55 AM

I was reading this post in an attenpt to figure out which rev to buy that would be the easiest to learn on. now my brain hurts I had settled on the 1.5 sle but it dosn't flex as much as the b's smaller le making more difficult to fly. The b is consderably more expensive for a starter, crashing it seems like a bad idea. I have a Blast but it is crazy to control.
If i were to get the sle and also get the lighter le and change them out, would that be a good combo?

Thanks, Cowboy.

Crashing a B-series isn't a big deal, just like all of the other revs.

Baloo...... putting an SLE in a B-Series. Shame on you. :P

Spence "Watty" Watson

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#33 Jeepster

Jeepster

Curmudgeon

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:15 AM

I was reading this post in an attempt to figure out which rev to buy that would be the easiest to learn on. now my brain hurts I had settled on the 1.5 sle but it doesn't flex as much as the b's smaller le making more difficult to fly. The b is consderably more expensive for a starter, crashing it seems like a bad idea. I have a Blast but it is crazy to control.

Thanks, Cowboy.

For comparison I took these prices from a mail order place ... US $ of course ... the B-series with both frame sets, handles, etc is ~ $290. The SLE is ~$200 with the SLE frame set, handles, etc ... throw in the second frame set for ~$55 and you're up to ~$255. Thus the difference is only about $35 ... not really that much in the whole scheme of things. Don't forget that both combinations need lines. And, with the B-series, you get to see John B. washing his kite in the bay ... that's almost worth the extra money.

Some folks belittle the SLE leading edge, so you'll have to put up with their snobbishness if you buy the SLE ... others say it makes a great high-wind frame set. But, with the B-series, you can add the 2-wrap to the 3-wrap and actually end up with a third frame set ... and achieve a slightly stiffer high-wind frame set than the SLE leading edge.

I just went through the same thought process in June ... first ordered the SLE ... then called and changed the order to a B-series. For me, that turned out to be the best choice. If you really enjoy the sport, one is not going to be enough. I've since added a B-series vented and just recently an SUL. If I could only buy two kites, I'd order the vented B-series and the SUL ... that would effectively cover most of the wind speeds in this area.

If my initial learning process didn't break any of the standard 1/4 inch leading edges, you probably can expect not to have any problems. Just don't fly over rocks, concrete, asphalt, etc and you'll be okay with the standard leading edges.

One thing I've noticed is if you put three kite flyers in a room and ask them a question, you'll get four different answers. Listen to them all, make up your own mind, and then enjoy ... you really can't make a poor choice.

Cheers and good luck,
Tom

#34 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 11:50 AM

Right lets make this simple, for a first Rev, forget the speed series, a 1.5 is the way to go for a newbie. That narrows your choice to maybe 7 or 8 options (don’t even start thinking about colour yet).

Then you have to ask yourself, “How seriously do I want to take this?” if you just want a kite for the occasional couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon then the EXP is the way to go, if you want to take things a bit further then you will soon outgrow an EXP and it may be better to look a bit further up market.

If you are still reading then I will assume you want to take this more seriously. The next question you need to ask is, “Do I want to build a matched set?”
If you are not bothered about building a set then the EXP is still in the frame as a possible first Rev, if a matched set is important then there are two options:-

B Series (std) –
probably the best value for money option but the most expensive initial outlay. The B series kites come with two frames and unlike duel-line kites you can change a Rev frame in the field in minutes and end up with a totally different kite. It is very much a case of mix and match, so in buying a B series you are effectively buying two kites.

Or

The 1.5 sle – this route is initially cheaper but you are only getting one frame, this was the route I took, but I started my collection pre B series. If you go this route I would strongly recommend that when ordering you also order an exp leading edge (3 spars), you won’t need them straight away but they will extend your lower end wind range and when you gain a bit of experience they will become your spar of choice, but don’t worry too much about the SLE being too stiff they are near on indestructible, which is not a bad thing when you’re learning.

Another thing to consider is (this is the case in the UK, may mot be the same in your part of the world) most 1.5 are sold “ready to fly” i.e. lines included but because the B series was initially aimed at experienced fliers they tend to be sold without lines.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sorry if this is a repetition 3 or 4 others have posted while I have been composing this.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#35 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:29 PM

B Series (std) [/b] probably the best value for money option but the most expensive initial outlay. The B series kites come with two frames and unlike duel-line kites you can change a Rev frame in the field in minutes and end up with a totally different kite. It is very much a case of mix and match, so in buying a B series you are effectively buying two kites.

I know this is being a bit pedantc , however I would argue with you slightly Bob.

A B series you have, 2 wrap, 3 wrap, both wraps, you can even put a 3 wrap centre with 2 wrap ends. B series is like a pile of lego blocks.

With a SLE you have a SLE. If you do go SLE route you can always buy new frame sets.

BEST advice, go to a festival, or find a field where there are a few Revs in the air. Say Hi and ask if you can try them out.

#36 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 01:43 PM

I'll make this even easier for you.

B-Series : Ultralight wind up to say 25 mph with the 2 leading edges in place, adjustable pigtails for tuning.

1.5 SLE : 5 mph struggling 7+ mph good up to 25 mph. No ultra light, less precision from stiffer frame, no adjustable pigtails for tuning, have to buy thinner frames eventually costing you just as much as a B-Series to start with.

only difference is you have to buy a set of lines with the B-series as opposed to the 1.5 package deal, you get more kite for your dollar and wider wind range with a B-Series.

Can't get any simpler
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#37 kitecowboy

kitecowboy

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:14 PM

thanks everyone. I belive i'll go with the "b" I know once I get the hang of the rev I'll have many more in time. I've got at least 15 deltas and a few foils for buggying so i guess I would be considered serious, kiteaholic might be better. anyhow going to get my "b" next week, black and lime I think.
Cowboy, rocks in your pockets couldn't hurt.

#38 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:52 PM

It is possible, but as Sailor said, why on earth would you want to put SLE's in the B-Series?

A double leading edge provides far better performance than the SLE spars, any day of the week.

i have tried the double leading edge in bot my b solid and mid vent and i do like it .. i do use tons of brake when i fly as i have learned from john,s method of leades for the rev back in march at the clinic .. he told me the better the brake the better the peformance so i have .. as for the SLE i would ask the same question why would you use that for any kite 1.5 or 1 .. i have them in my blast and my speed series whtch they are needed for those kites because of those design setups.. as for 1.5 and 1 1/4 size rods are it no questions asked
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#39 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:10 PM

I'll make this even easier for you.

B-Series : Ultralight wind up to say 25 mph with the 2 leading edges in place, adjustable pigtails for tuning.

1.5 SLE : 5 mph struggling 7+ mph good up to 25 mph. No ultra light, less precision from stiffer frame, no adjustable pigtails for tuning, have to buy thinner frames eventually costing you just as much as a B-Series to start with.

only difference is you have to buy a set of lines with the B-series as opposed to the 1.5 package deal, you get more kite for your dollar and wider wind range with a B-Series.

Can't get any simpler

You put it so well Jim.

Saying the same as me, so many less words though.

Think even I might have to go out and buy another B series now. On second thoughts I think 4 is enough for the moment.

#40 Jonesey

Jonesey

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 10:31 PM

i have tried the double leading edge in bot my b solid and mid vent and i do like it .. i do use tons of brake when i fly as i have learned from john,s method of leades for the rev back in march at the clinic .. he told me the better the brake the better the peformance so i have .. as for the SLE i would ask the same question why would you use that for any kite 1.5 or 1 .. i have them in my blast and my speed series whtch they are needed for those kites because of those design setups.. as for 1.5 and 1 1/4 size rods are it no questions asked

Just for the sake of argument.... I wouldn't go and buy an SLE Leading edge for a B .... having said that I already own one so must admit that if its well above 4 wrap weather I do use it ... why? its easier to insert then two ... less rods to lose or damage and to me these are really survival conditions so I'm more concerned with not breaking anything then the last degree of precision.... I kind of feel in those conditions the sail is being used outside its range anyway so i will probably not fly for long and its a nice solid setup that's not going to let me down ..... I'm tempted to say the sail shape is better with the SLE then the 2 rods setup but haven't done a side by side test for a while so will avoid the flaming by not saying that!

I feel a bit like I'm admitting having a James Blunt album on my iPod but "My name is Peter Jones and I occasionally use an SLE" ... actually that feels kind of liberating you should try it ;)

Oh and buy a 'B' ... no brainer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users