#41 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 09:17 AM

REV_STACK_001.jpg

Here ya go.My first atempt at a stack.Just ran out of time to set up all five.Flew the four in around a 4mph breeze,LOVELY JUBLY.After some brake adjustment it was OK for its maiden flight.

Thanks for the help everyone.

BRIAN...

#42 ian4c

ian4c

Occasional Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:19 AM

Here ya go.My first atempt at a stack.Just ran out of time to set up all five.Flew the four in around a 4mph breeze,LOVELY JUBLY.After some brake adjustment it was OK for its maiden flight.

BRIAN...

So this is the stack you were telling me about!

Very impressive. Let's see a picture of your stack in the air!

#43 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:33 AM

REV_STACK_001.jpg

BRIAN...

Bees in the air. Very nice!
Just wait until that wind gets up to 15 or 20 mph. Then you will be able to touch your toes without bending over.

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#44 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 01:23 PM

:D :D :D :lol: ,I have to say John,i cant wait to have a good session on it.
I will finish it Tomorrow and hopefully do a little tweeking on her before i post a few inflight pickys and anything usefull[problems,tips,doZ & dontZ] for anyone putting a stack together.I may have a few more questions myself before im Happy with the finished article.
Just tried to upload a short clip of its Maiden flight,but im not Authorised for the Upload

Thanks again

BRIAN...

#45 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:52 PM

Hey brian,good job on the stack.As john said wait till the wind picks up alittle as i can attest to that in wildwood today on my progressive stack .When your done flying her,pick up your sle and fly it .You will do things i can't mention here. :ani_yahoo:

#46 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

Please excuse my blatant lack of knowledge, as I have just recently become addicted to Revolution Kites.

I have already collected three Rev's, and I would like to experiment with a mini stack of dual EXP's.  I have absolutely no knowledge of how to approach stacking Rev's, and I was hoping to ask the experts on how to do this properly.

- Are stacking lines available for purchase, or do these line need to be fabricated by the individual flyer?
- What other considerations should be included in stacking Rev's (stronger flight lines, longer flight lines, etc)?
- Do certain Rev's perform better in a stacked configuration?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks from a newbie.

line sets for stacks are available from rev or look for dealers on the site to find some.
also read the forums to learn more,there's plenty out here.
good luck

#47 wufer

wufer

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:12 PM

This is Big Bri and his new stack.
Im posting it as he could,nt do it
Minst you, he is from Lancashire so that explains it :P

http://good-times.we...host=good-times

Derek.

#48 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

Thank You Kind Sir.
I did mean that i had tried to put the clip directly on here and wasnt Authorised .I could have used the webshots method.I thought you Yorkies had some sorta Enigma machine or had Presidential connections or something to post it directly.

I will send ya the Feature version once ive tweaked the beasty Tomorrow.

Cheers Derek,thanks for your trouble.
Ile let thee aya go wen tha up north owd lad :P,BELTIN ...

Cheers marra

BRIAN...

#49 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:23 AM

Thank You Kind Sir.
I did mean that i had tried to put the clip directly on here and wasnt Authorised .I could have used the webshots method.I thought you Yorkies had some sorta Enigma machine or had Presidential connections or something to post it directly.

I will send ya the Feature version once ive tweaked the beasty Tomorrow.

Cheers Derek,thanks for your trouble.
Ile let thee aya go wen tha up north owd lad :P,BELTIN ...

Cheers marra

BRIAN...

Good job :kewlpics:

#50 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:00 AM

Thanks Brad :) ,
had a few line problems at first.Had no lift,i had so much brake on.Found the lines where out.I checked them as pairs before i flew as always,but didnt check against eachother.They are a new set made for me by a fellow countryman of yours,who will remain nameless.He had made one pair 6inch longer than the other.

I will post more when the weather is better than Today.

BRIAN... :)

#51 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 08:06 AM

Maybe the lines were made to fit a nice old Rev with the unequal bridle arrangement :-) Looks like it didnt take long to sort out though. Nice stack.

Must admit I have done the same. Measured bought lines and found them to be 2 pairs instead of a quad set.

#52 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 11:27 AM

Sorry for getting to this tread so late. The way I connect my train lines to the kite is with a simple larks head. This is also the way that the Rev Stack Lines are connected. You have a loop on each end of the stack line and then you simply thread the loop through the end cap and fold it over to larks head the loop onto the cap. The front kite would have one stack line on each end cap going back to the second kite and one larks head going to the bridle. The second kite would have two stack lines per end cap, one going to the front kite and one going to the third kite. The center line is larks head-ed to the large loop on the center of the leading edge and then "clipped" with the supplied clip to the loop on the back kite (or tied if you don't have a clip). I found that using this method makes the center line very slack because of the slack in the center loops of the kite. I therefore shortened each of the center by tying an additional knot in the line so they were taught like the other leading edge stack lines. Pull the leading edge of the second kite so that all lines are tight and then "pinch" the center line so that it is tight as well, tie a knot at the pinch (or re-tie your end loop knot and cut off the excess).

If you don't like knots you can always splice your line using a fid and make knot-less loops. This works very nicely for a stack and if you leave a bit of the end of your splice hanging out you can adjust your loops for fine tuning. When your all done just cut off the tail and slide it back inside the splice. Splicing your line takes a lot more time and effort than tying does.

I also found that the stacks for some reason put a lot more pull on the brake lines and you need to pull in the top lines a lot or the stack just pulls your arms out of their sockets. With my custom 8 stack of 1.5's I ended up pulling in the top lines about 2-3 inches.

Hope this helps.

#53 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

Sorry for getting to this tread so late. The way I connect my train lines to the kite is with a simple larks head. This is also the way that the Rev Stack Lines are connected. You have a loop on each end of the stack line and then you simply thread the loop through the end cap and fold it over to larks head the loop onto the cap. The front kite would have one stack line on each end cap going back to the second kite and one larks head going to the bridle. The second kite would have two stack lines per end cap, one going to the front kite and one going to the third kite. The center line is larks head-ed to the large loop on the center of the leading edge and then "clipped" with the supplied clip to the loop on the back kite (or tied if you don't have a clip). I found that using this method makes the center line very slack because of the slack in the center loops of the kite. I therefore shortened each of the center by tying an additional knot in the line so they were taught like the other leading edge stack lines. Pull the leading edge of the second kite so that all lines are tight and then "pinch" the center line so that it is tight as well, tie a knot at the pinch (or re-tie your end loop knot and cut off the excess).

If you don't like knots you can always splice your line using a fid and make knot-less loops. This works very nicely for a stack and if you leave a bit of the end of your splice hanging out you can adjust your loops for fine tuning. When your all done just cut off the tail and slide it back inside the splice. Splicing your line takes a lot more time and effort than tying does.

I also found that the stacks for some reason put a lot more pull on the brake lines and you need to pull in the top lines a lot or the stack just pulls your arms out of their sockets. With my custom 8 stack of 1.5's I ended up pulling in the top lines about 2-3 inches.

Hope this helps.

Kent, Could you make some photos of your connections and post them here?

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#54 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 12:29 PM

:) Thanks Kent.
All the help and avice has given me the confidence to get my little project up and working.Everyones been real Kewl.Ive wanted a nice stack for a while and with help from YOU GUYS & GIRLS,ive got a CORKER :D

Your the first to mention the BRAKES on a stack.I couldnt keep the stack up hardly at first.I fly with a good amount of Brake normally,but i near broke my wrists trying to get lift.My new lines where out though,but ther BAMG ON for the next flight on Wednesday.Weather permitting

Thanks Very Much everyone whos helped :clap;

BRIAN...

#55 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:02 PM

I am sure I remember someone mentioning it earlier in this hread, however twice is better than never.

Shorten the bottom train lines slightly on the last kite in the train, this should make the train more stable. Also fly the last kite rather than the front one.

Best of luck.

#56 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 04:41 PM

I have also noticed with the 5 stacks I have made up that they do not like brakes, so either bring in the top's a few knots or let out the bottoms or both.

I like to use my power blast handles for the stacks as well especially when i do a speed series stack they just seem more comfortable.

I was very amazed that while stacks do have some pull you cant tune the handles where they fly well and have a tremendous amount of LESS pull with full control.

BTW sweet colors I've been eyeballing that color set all year.
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#57 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,402 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 05:05 PM

I am sure I remember someone mentioning it earlier in this hread, however twice is better than never.

Shorten the bottom train lines slightly on the last kite in the train, this should make the train more stable. Also fly the last kite rather than the front one.

Best of luck.

There are a number of tricks to stabilize a train.
If only the back REV is shaking and lagging you can:
- extend the train lines to the last REV.
- use a larger REV as the last REV
- shorten the lower two train lines to the last REV. (I have not tried it, just heard of it several times and it makes sense)
If you have a lot of shaking within the train, this is most likely:
- a difference in train line lengths. This includes pigtails, wrapped train lines and etc.
- age difference in sails. The mixing of well used with new sails can give make a difference. Use sails with similar aged stretching.

#58 big bri

big bri

BRIAN...

• Forum Member
  • 2,656 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 12:17 AM

THANKS AGAIN FELLAS ;) for topdraw advice.

I will Try my Super Blast Handles as suggested by your good self Fortflyer.A change here,a tweek ther seems to make the world of diffrence.
The Pig Tails are also a revalation in set up[Thanks again JM] hadnt thought of Pig Tails,but im a little,,,,cant see the woods for the trees type fella at times,,,, .I first used a Pig Tail that was 4inchs long before the knot on each connection point.When i read JMs post and and advice with the easy as pie picky[thanks John],i retied another couple of knots in each pigtail for tweaking.Once ive got it as balanced as i think is possible.I will cut and seal the Pig Tails i dont use[I THINK]as they should be Redundant.

May put longer pig tails on the back kite to lengthen the distance slightly,it did seem to bounce around a little.

I will check and report back next Flight Soon,

I would like to see the,, OFFICIAL SET UP THAT KENT HAS ON HIS KEWL SITE,,

BRIAN...Getting by with a little HELP from my FREINDS :gathering:

#59 awindofchange

awindofchange

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:45 PM

Well I don't know if it is the "Official" way, but it works for me and looks really cool.

Here is the details along with pictures. Let me know what you think of it.

How to make a knot-less loop in your lines.

#60 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 10:43 PM

Vry interesting Kent. Never thought about making braided loops for kite lines. Would presumably work for flying lines also.

Braided loops for fly fishing lines I have tried.

Will have a look at my flying lines.

I know my current stack lines are the cored type. Will have to find some more line.

I presume you can supply it??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users