Photo

Connectors for the 1.5 SLE verticle spars....

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Love2fly

Love2fly

All Revved up... where do you want to fly?

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hi.
I just bought a used 1.5 SLE on ebay. A photo is available on ebay; when searching, use this # 220210869213. On the verticle spars connectors, at the leading edge, one connector is angled, about 90 degrees and the other is straight. From what I can tell there is no balance issue. Was this changed or is this the norm for the model? Also, how old is this one, if anyone can tell, roughly?
Thanks...
Laura
Laura

*** Any day flying is a good day; have a great one! 
**** REVS: Fly it, you'll like it!
***** L.S.P. ... It's worth the trip!

Posted Image

#2 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 06:27 PM

Hi.
I just bought a used 1.5 SLE on ebay. A photo is available on ebay; when searching, use this # 220210869213. On the verticle spars connectors, at the leading edge, one connector is angled, about 90 degrees and the other is straight. From what I can tell there is no balance issue. Was this changed or is this the norm for the model? Also, how old is this one, if anyone can tell, roughly?
Thanks...
Laura

Looks like you got a great deal.

From the photo on ebay, it looks like an original REV 1.5 SLE. The two vertical rods are not installed but appear to be laying on the top of the sail, out of position to the side. The two visible rods appear to be original REV composite rods.

Have you received the REV?

Long John (formerly Mr. R)

STACK International Executive Committee - 6/1996-6/2008
International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
World Sport Kite Championship Judge - 2004-2005-2006(Chief Judge)
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

Web Site - http://www.johnnmitchell.com/index.html Check it out today!

#3 FortFlyer

FortFlyer

Jimi Quadsticks

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:52 PM

Man did they list that wrong, Great Score good thing I missed that :kid_smartass:

sometimes the caps will twist to the side and line up with the leading edge no biggie just slide the rod in and point it down then hook in the lower cap.

Mine do that normally from the way i rollup my kites.

Also it looks like they hooked up the down spars to the leading edge endcaps lol no wonder they are selling it they have no clue how to set it up I wonder how it flew :rolleyes:
Jim,
Ft. Taber Park & Brenton Point

Rev's are like a carbon framed out-of-body experience

Posted Image

#4 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

Looks like you got a great deal.

From the photo on ebay, it looks like an original REV 1.5 SLE. The two vertical rods are not installed but appear to be laying on the top of the sail, out of position to the side. The two visible rods appear to be original REV composite rods.

Have you received the REV?

Hi.
Yes. The edges where the leading edges connect are frayed a bit. Should I worry about that? Other than that, no holes. The fabric seems softer, perhaps lighter than the B series. I just checked out the vert. connectors, again. Turns out that there's a rubber tubing over where the spar connects to the leading edge side. One is missing or one was put on for some reason... which is it and do I need another? Would you like photos of this? What year do you think it's from. It's actually a dark pink instead of red. btw, I actually paid 10% less than what was shown...boy did I get lucky!!!! :kid_content: Can I change the frame with my B series and do I want to or should I get a different one?
Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
Laura

Posted Image

#5 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:01 PM

Hey great buy. Good work. It sounds like you are talking about the rubber washers on the two leading edge connectors. If this is right you do need two. You push the connectors into the two ends of the assembled leading edge and the washers stop them going into the spar too far. If they went in too far then the spars would rub on the bridle where it is looped through the connectors. You can make a new one by modifying a sturdy tap (fawset?) washer from your hardware store.

The fraying can be fixed with small pieces of sticky ripstop. Many kite shops sell it in various colours and even clear.

I think you will be fine putting your b frame in. It should be the same lengths but check it fits inside the end caps properly. If you do this you will not need the extra washer.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

Knowledge: The small part of ignorance that we arrange and classify.

#6 Baloo

Baloo

Frequent Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 11:47 PM

Wow good buy Laura.

Post a picture anyway, we all love to see Revs.

#7 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:39 AM

Looking at your post it may be that you are talking about the dust cap covers over the connections between the leading edge and the verticals. Not sure - perhaps you can clarify. If this is the case, then yes, you need two.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#8 play365

play365

The Flying Squad

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:33 AM

Looking at your post it may be that you are talking about the dust cap covers over the connections between the leading edge and the verticals. Not sure - perhaps you can clarify. If this is the case, then yes, you need two.

Yep they are to stop the spar wearing the dacron away I think
GARY

Posted Image

#9 Choccy

Choccy

Occasion-al Flyer

• Forum Member
  • 1,880 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:52 AM

OMG how gutted must the owner of that kite be feeling... (where's my kite?, and it went, where, for how little ?)
I wonder why the person who bought the second hand car didn't mention it to the previous owner!
Yikes.

Nice kite BTW. ;)
1 of the 47.

#10 brad

brad

Regular Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

what a bargain :sign_kitelife:

#11 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:50 PM

great price indeed good for you .. you dont get that going rate to often
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#12 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

Yep they are to stop the spar wearing the dacron away I think

Hi Gary...
Here's a few photos. When I first looked at the connector, after inserting the vert. rod, it was bent; perhaps I didn't put the rod in all the way; turns out it was the rubber covering over the connector. There are only one of these rubber things; it's not on both...is it needed and/or was it added on by the previous owner? (It was just to show someone what a Rev looks like, I wasn't flying then). Obviously, someone rigged this. The question now, how much do I have to redo to get this right?
Thanks for any advice, as always....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0684.JPG
  • IMG_0695.JPG
  • IMG_0697.JPG

Laura

Posted Image

#13 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:15 PM

Hi Gary...
Here's a few photos. When I first looked at the connector, after inserting the vert. rod, it was bent; perhaps I didn't put the rod in all the way; turns out it was the rubber covering over the connector. There are only one of these rubber things; it's not on both...is it needed and/or was it added on by the previous owner? (It was just to show someone what a Rev looks like, I wasn't flying then). Obviously, someone rigged this. The question now, how much do I have to redo to get this right?
Thanks for any advice, as always....

On the side where the rubber cap is missing, you need to move the knot down to the hole on the back. This will help prevent lines from catching on it.
The rubber cap serves the purpose of protecting slightly the leading edge material(dacron) from being worn and it, somewhat, holds the rod in place if the lower tip came out thus lessening the chance of loosing the rod.
For my SULs, I take them off to cut down weight. Some of my other REVs have them, some don't. For sand flying, I sometimes replace them with silicon tubing to keep the sand out of the end caps. I do this for all six caps.
It is up to you whether you use them or not. I would suggest as a minimum either both on or both off.

International Rules Book Committee and STACK International Head Judge - 6/2004-6/2008
13x 1st - 12x 2nd - 6x 3rd places in 37 overall Quadline individual competitions

#14 Stone in Shoe Bob

Stone in Shoe Bob

Frequent Poster

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

There are only one of these rubber things; it's not on both...is it needed and/or was it added on by the previous owner?

I think you may have confused people a bit when you described the tube as “rubber” there should be rubber washers on the leading edge end caps to protect the bridle from wear, but the tube in your photo should be a shiny plastic (PVC I think) and yes they are std and yes, there should be two. They are to stop the upright end cap wearing the leading edge, they are prone to getting lost, and you should be able to get replacements from any good Rev stockist, but they are not essential and many people don’t bother. To keep weight down they are not even fitted on an sul. If you are worried about wear and you have trouble getting replacements you could try twisting a rubber around the end cap, that should do just as well, at least as a temporary measure.

Yes. The edges where the leading edges connect are frayed a bit. Should I worry about that?

I wouldn’t worry there comes a point where the frayed ends get matted and tangled and it stops of it’s own accord, but if you are worried you could carefully seal the frayed edges with a soldering iron.
Stone in Shoe Bob

It's Good to Share the Joy.

#15 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

On the side where the rubber cap is missing, you need to move the knot down to the hole on the back. This will help prevent lines from catching on it.
The rubber cap serves the purpose of protecting slightly the leading edge material(dacron) from being worn and it, somewhat, holds the rod in place if the lower tip came out thus lessening the chance of loosing the rod.
For my SULs, I take them off to cut down weight. Some of my other REVs have them, some don't. For sand flying, I sometimes replace them with silicon tubing to keep the sand out of the end caps. I do this for all six caps.
It is up to you whether you use them or not. I would suggest as a minimum either both on or both off.

Thanks... How do I go about moving the knot without screwing things up and putting it out of commission until I see one of you talented guys in Wildwood and you can, then, fix my mistakes. :kid_smartass: Also, for "sh*ts 'n giggles", anyone know what year this one came out? Thank you all...
Laura

Posted Image

#16 Sailor99

Sailor99

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 10:07 PM

With the kite not assembled move the rubber washer (the ring not the one on the spar connectors) round till it is flush against the sail. Then slide the elastic round so the knot is tucked away neat and tidy. That way your flying lines are less likely to catch on the knots.
Over - Jeremy

Posted Image

#17 antman

antman

king of wildwood

• Forum Member
  • 3,213 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 05:51 PM

get rid of the rubber caps .. on my 1.5 and rev 1 kites i have them all off as a weight measure and to me its a totally useless part .. its supposed to be there to keep the rods from falling out in flight .. i have never used them and have not lost a rod yet..if you keep that sail tight it also keeps the kite flying like new everytime.. check your bottom bungee cords.. if they are loose the sail will have alot of sag to it .. if they are tight the kite will be very smooth and responsive ..
GOD PUT ME HERE. TO ENJOY THE WINDS

#18 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:02 PM

I have an SLE with the same panel pattern from 2001. I think that pattern was from about 2000 to '03 or '04.
Later SLEs had Mylar panels.

I think the pattern was produced from January 1998 through 2001. In January 2002 I think the present pattern came out.
I could be off one year either way.

The JB pattern is of course produced in addition to the standard. It came out in January 2007.

#19 Love2fly

Love2fly

• Forum Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:08 PM

I think the pattern was produced from January 1998 through 2001. In January 2002 I think the present pattern came out.
I could be off one year either way.

The JB pattern is of course produced in addition to the standard. It came out in January 2007.

Hello one and all...
Thanks for the info and advice. I will try to move the washers around and take off that extra useless piece. If I run into problems, I know where to go to ask for help :sign_kitelife: .
Laura
Laura

Posted Image

#20 RevWizard

RevWizard

Rev Guru and Historian

• Forum Admin
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:18 PM

Hello one and all...
Thanks for the info and advice. I will try to move the washers around and take off that extra useless piece. If I run into problems, I know where to go to ask for help :sign_kitelife: .
Laura

Now all you have to do is come out and fly with us. Unfortunately I am a bit far away, but there are plenty of REV fliers in your area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users